[OBSOLETE] unofficial CyanogenMod 9/ClockworkMod Recovery 5 for Allwinner A10 devices

Search This thread

the-razer

Aug 7, 2009
I'm now on the official ROM released today by Ainol (which works like a charm btw).

Good news!

I installed CWM Recovery again and it worked! What I've tested and works:
- backup to SD card
- advance restore (I restored the cache partition)
- wiping cache partition
- manually formatting cache partition
- mounting/unmounting
- adb shell

When restoring only one partition it seems to check all md5 checksums, not just the one required, which is not necessary(?). I don't know if this is normal CWM behavior or not, but could be improved :D

Hardwarekeys are working as they should, back is "back", Vol +/- is "up" and "down", power is "ok"

Great work! :)

No /data wipe or other strange behavior. I think there was a problem with my ROM I had installed because the /data partition was mounted and after another reboot it was wiped again.

EDIT: cpufreq seems to work. I can change the governor and min/max frequency. Both working, but Recovery is lagging a bit at 60 Mhz ^^

EDIT: Powering up holding the back button enters recovery. Yay!

Last edited:

riorey

Jan 7, 2011
Point OF View Protab 2XXL

Hi fun_,

I'm a bit uncertain if I should spawn off a new thread or not?

My rom is heavily based on yours but at the same time they're not compatible anymore. I've recompiled CWM so it works on the Protab, it won't work on the other tablets if they don't use the same key-events and from what I've seen so far the required drivers are different. At the same time your fixes to build.prop works on the Protab as well.

Please, advise me what you think I should do?

Thanks in advance,

Rickard

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I'm now on the official ROM released today by Ainol (which works like a charm btw).

Good news!

I installed CWM Recovery again and it worked!

thank you for your report.
I'll make new CWM image(with small change) soon and it will be available under "supported" list on my site.

No /data wipe or other strange behavior. I think there was a problem with my ROM I had installed because the /data partition was mounted and after another reboot it was wiped again.

build# on your old rom was same as 0.9 ROM...but probably something was wrong and it should be gone by flashing new rom. it's standard china quality ;)

EDIT: cpufreq seems to work. I can change the governor and min/max frequency. Both working, but Recovery is lagging a bit at 60 Mhz ^^

lol. I just removed cpufreq settings(conservative, min 300MHz) from CM9 to speed up booting because I guessed default is "performance" governor(it's true on Adv1 0.9), but it isn't true on Aurora, right?

EDIT: Powering up holding the back button enters recovery. Yay!

really good news! I hope it should work on Adv2/Elf too.
(there is no "BACK" (on side) on Adv1 so I can't confirm it lol)

I'll update description. thank you.

the-razer

Aug 7, 2009
lol. I just removed cpufreq settings(conservative, min 300MHz) from CM9 to speed up booting because I guessed default is "performance" governor(it's true on Adv1 0.9), but it isn't true on Aurora, right?

Yes, default governor was "performance" in CWM Recovery. Are we talking about the same thing? :p I didn't try CM9. All I did was changing cpufreq govenor and min/max scaling freq in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq via ADB shell because you mentioned that cpufreq might be broken. The default values were: min 60Mhz, max 1008Mhz and the govenor, as mentioned, "performance".

Glad that the Aurora will be "officially" supported. Thank you! :)

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
Yes, default governor was "performance" in CWM Recovery. Are we talking about the same thing? :p I didn't try CM9. All I did was changing cpufreq govenor and min/max scaling freq in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq via ADB shell because you mentioned that cpufreq might be broken. The default values were: min 60Mhz, max 1008Mhz and the govenor, as mentioned, "performance".

oops. I understood default is NOT "performance" because "performance" should set max freq(1008MHz) at any time...

EDIT:
oh, you just said "if I set freq to 60MHz on recovery, I felt lag" to check cpufreq functionality, right?

Last edited:

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
I'm a bit uncertain if I should spawn off a new thread or not?

My rom is heavily based on yours but at the same time they're not compatible anymore. I've recompiled CWM so it works on the Protab, it won't work on the other tablets if they don't use the same key-events and from what I've seen so far the required drivers are different. At the same time your fixes to build.prop works on the Protab as well.

Please, advise me what you think I should do?

it depends on what do you want.

I just pushed my change to support other tablets that currently I'm working.
https://github.com/naobsd/cm_device_allwinner_a10/commit/2cc2837bff8d3edc4cd2d5e4d1da310ec08f1fff
8192cu wlan, mma7760 accelerometer, and ft5x_ts TS should be supported by this commit. update.zip with additional files will be uploaded when it will be made.

I know keylayout files are not good for some tablets so I'll replace it in update.zip as postprocessing after build. sensors.exDroid.so can't be shared on some tablets so it will be replaced too.

my recovery_keys.c should work on NOVO7 Adv1/Adv2/Elf/Aurora, Bmorn V11, and Scroll Excel.

I don't know it's enough for you. currently I don't know how "not compatible". (sorry, I have no time to learn about your rom for now)
I don't say I don't support other tablets not listed above. I just do things in turn. I can't do everything at once. I'll support other tablets after current work is done.

if you need your own changes for now, please keep your own repo. if you can use my repo in future, feel free to use my repo.

thank you for your cooperation.

EDIT:
sorry, you asked about thread.
if you want to merge your changes to my repo(even if it needs branch), or you can wait my work for your tablet, please use here. you can talk about dev things for your tablet here.
if you want to make your work independent, please make your own thread.

this thread is mainly for development work so you can use here for development and you can make another "users'" thread for your tablet/rom.

Last edited:

fun_

Aug 20, 2010

thanks for clarification.

http://files.androtab.info/allwinner/cm9/20120308/
here is latest image (just uploaded, not yet tested). I'll test it and update my site to link them. CM9 for Aurora(and probably for Elf) will not work so they will not be linked yet.
descriptions on post#1-3 will be updated later.

----
about latest CWM,

install-recovery.sh now uses /sdcard/recovery.img(was /data/recovery.img). /sdcard may NOT be "SD card", make sure it's placed under "/sdcard".
reboot-recovery.sh can be used to reboot recovery.
these scripts can be used on rooted shell (adb or any other term apps), or gscript with "su".

other changes,
governor is set to "performance". if your kernel uses another governor, you may get better responsiveness ;)
SD card and internal NAND flash are exported by USB mass storage function in CWM. (it didn't work on ICS ROM and only SD card was exported on GB ROM)

Last edited:

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
http://files.androtab.info/allwinner/cm9/20120308/GBROM/
CWM & CM9 test image for Bmorn V11 and Scroll Excell.
(I think ICS ROM is not released yet for them, right? EDIT: I just noticed there is custom ICS ROM for Excell. my CWM/CM9 doesn't work with it)

at first please install & test CWM. please put recovery.cpio on /sdcard then run install-recovery.sh on rooted shell.
on Bmorn V11, keys on front aren't worked correctly, sorry!

on CM9, please check how it works. (at least accelerometer, key assign, touchscreen, and wlan)

Last edited:

riorey

Jan 7, 2011
it depends on what do you want.

I just pushed my change to support other tablets that currently I'm working.
https://github.com/naobsd/cm_device_allwinner_a10/commit/2cc2837bff8d3edc4cd2d5e4d1da310ec08f1fff
8192cu wlan, mma7760 accelerometer, and ft5x_ts TS should be supported by this commit. update.zip with additional files will be uploaded when it will be made.

I know keylayout files are not good for some tablets so I'll replace it in update.zip as postprocessing after build. sensors.exDroid.so can't be shared on some tablets so it will be replaced too.

my recovery_keys.c should work on NOVO7 Adv1/Adv2/Elf/Aurora, Bmorn V11, and Scroll Excel.

I don't know it's enough for you. currently I don't know how "not compatible". (sorry, I have no time to learn about your rom for now)
I don't say I don't support other tablets not listed above. I just do things in turn. I can't do everything at once. I'll support other tablets after current work is done.

if you need your own changes for now, please keep your own repo. if you can use my repo in future, feel free to use my repo.

thank you for your cooperation.

EDIT:
sorry, you asked about thread.
if you want to merge your changes to my repo(even if it needs branch), or you can wait my work for your tablet, please use here. you can talk about dev things for your tablet here.
if you want to make your work independent, please make your own thread.

this thread is mainly for development work so you can use here for development and you can make another "users'" thread for your tablet/rom.

I'd prefer if I wouldn't have to maintain a ROM all by myself, though some of the changes in for example default_recovery_keys.c seem to be incompatible.

This is needed for the Protab 2XXL:
case KEY_HOME:
return HIGHLIGHT_DOWN;

case KEY_VOLUMEUP:
return HIGHLIGHT_UP;

case KEY_POWER:
return SELECT_ITEM;

case KEY_ESC:
if (ui_menu_level > 0) {
return GO_BACK;
}

It's not a diff, just a copy and paste so you know what keys need to be added to the correct case.

I checked your source-code, if we change place for up and down the only thing you seem to have to do is add case KEY_VOLUMEUP: to HIGHLIGHT_DOWN and it should work, the keys are on the right side of the tab and CWM starts up in landscape anyway so it does not really matter which key is up or down.

The sun4i-keyboard.kl should also have these values added:
key 139 VOLUME_UP
key 217 VOLUME_DOWN
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 1 BACK WAKE
key 115 MENU WAKE_DROPPED

Some of them are already there, some are missing.

That's it for now, maybe there isn't a big difference in the end, anyway. :)

Rickard

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
The sun4i-keyboard.kl should also have these values added:
key 139 VOLUME_UP
key 217 VOLUME_DOWN
key 102 HOME WAKE
key 1 BACK WAKE
key 115 MENU WAKE_DROPPED

thanks for your info.

well, ProTab2 XXL has, HOME, MENU, and POWER on side, and BACK on front? no VOL+/-?

riorey

Jan 7, 2011
thanks for your info.

well, ProTab2 XXL has, HOME, MENU, and POWER on side, and BACK on front? no VOL+/-?

Coirrect, the home and menu buttons doubles as vol+/- with long press. It works with ICS without any other changes. If not there is an other file called axp20-supplyer.kl which I can provide that might fix that.

You're welcome.

fun_

Aug 20, 2010
Coirrect, the home and menu buttons doubles as vol+/- with long press. It works with ICS without any other changes. If not there is an other file called axp20-supplyer.kl which I can provide that might fix that.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/point-of-view-protab-xxl-tablet-review/6

hmm. I see. long-press feature is nice...but...

as you said I'll add KEY_VOLUMEUP(actually it acts as MENU in stock ROM) to HIGHLIGHT_DOWN. so you'll get MENU = down and HOME = up on CWM.

on CM9, I'm thinking to add 115 as VOLUME_DOWN so HOME/MENU will act as VOL+/- with common sun4i-keyboard.kl. (and long press will act as VOL+/- too...)

of course I can make & replace sun4i-keyboard.kl specifically for your tablet. which do you like, same key map as stock rom or not?

EDIT:
oh wait, I found your sun4i-keyboard.kl is same as one for Scroll Excel. I remembered your TS is ft5x_ts, same as Excel too. then, what's your accelerometer?

EDIT2:
sorry, I remembered I already downloaded files you uploaded. accelerometer is bma250, same as Excel.

then, CM9 for ProTab2 XXL is already available. try SCROLLEX_update.zip :)

EDIT3:
ProTab2 XXL is made by inet, as same as Excel. I guess this configuration is common for A10 tablets made by inet...

Last edited:

riorey

Jan 7, 2011

as you said I'll add KEY_VOLUMEUP(actually it acts as MENU in stock ROM) to HIGHLIGHT_DOWN. so you'll get MENU = down and HOME = up on CWM.

on CM9, I'm thinking to add 115 as VOLUME_DOWN so HOME/MENU will act as VOL+/- with common sun4i-keyboard.kl. (and long press will act as VOL+/- too...)

of course I can make & replace sun4i-keyboard.kl specifically for your tablet. which do you like, same key map as stock rom or not?

EDIT:
oh wait, I found your sun4i-keyboard.kl is same as one for Scroll Excel. I remembered your TS is ft5x_ts, same as Excel too. then, what's your accelerometer?

EDIT2:
sorry, I remembered I already downloaded files you uploaded. accelerometer is bma250, same as Excel.

EDIT3:
ProTab2 XXL is made by inet, as same as Excel. I guess this configuration is common for A10 tablets made by inet...

Yikes! :)
I didn't have time to check this until now, well, I'll try the rom.

the-razer

Aug 7, 2009
I wrote a little install script, that is a bit more comfortable in handling. It pushes and installs CWM via ADB without having to transfer files by hand. And it does a backup of /dev/block/nandg, just to be sure. Scripts are working for Linux and Windows. Mac untested, but should be working, too. If you want to distribute or use them, here they are: http://www.mediafire.com/?740mi4xm0bweb2c

As I consider CWM for Aurora as "stable" now this can then be used by normal users (needing a simpler way to install this).

riorey

Jan 7, 2011

EDIT:

EDIT2:

EDIT3:

OK, I tested the recovery first (as mine was a bit hacked!)...
Key 115 KEY_VOLUMEUP is not in the recovery binary you have uploaded? Right?

All other keys work as they should, HOME goes up, power selects and back goes back.

With SCROLLEX_update.zip the touchscreen doesn't work correctly, so there seem to be a difference in how it works compared to my builds... I really can't put my thumb on the problem but the screen works "so-so" but not as it should, scrolling is strange but pointing at a certain point seem to work in dialogs.

EDIT1 & 2:
Ok, I found out what is wrong with the touchscreen, it's 180 degrees off as well as x and y is on the wrong axis...

I'll see if I can find what the difference is from my build.

EDIT 3:
init.sun4i.rc needs the following line installed for the screen to work with portrait as default and with the back-button at the bottom.
setprop ro.sf.hwrotation 270

You also need to use the ft5x_ts.ko module from my package, that solves the problem with inverted axis on the touchscreen. I've attached the module to this message.

Attachments

• ft5x_ts.ko.zip
    57.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

JobSup

Mar 16, 2011
I installed the latest version (08.03.12) on my Novo 7 ELF.

- CWM Recovery installs fine
- CM9 ends in a boot-loop

The return button on the ELF (rightmost button) works to enter CWM on reboot.

I had to flash back to the latest official firmware (4.0.3 from 08.03.12) using Lifesuit. Still, getting CWM to work on the ELF is the first and most important step.

Thanks a lot!

bioan

Jun 1, 2009
@fun - I've tested CM9 on my Aura LY-F1, it boots ok, it goes through lockscreen but the Touchscreen is not working. We already have a working version of ICS. Also the CWM works great, everything is working.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this was a work-in-progress development project for porting CyanogenMod 9 (ICS/4.0.4) and ClockworkMod Recovery 5 to Allwinner A10 devices.

but my CM9 is obsolete now. if you want to get CM9, please refer other active projects.

currently here is only for my miscellaneous work for Allwinner A10 devices. if you have a question about development work for A10, you may post it on here. but I can't guarantee any answer.

* links to other active CM9/CM10 projects
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1821398 CM10 for many A10 tablets by Christian Troy
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1760929 CM9 for many A10 tablets by Christian Troy
    http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/33820-ics-404-ivi-cm9-firmware-for-novo7-advanced-btgpsusb-audio/ for NOVO7 Advanced(1) by tsynik

* links to other active AOKP projects
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1760931 for many A10 tablets by Christian Troy
    * How to install ClockworkMod Recovery 5
    1. (if you don't have official ROM and flash tool,) make backup of recovery partition
    2. download recovery.zip and unzip it
    3. put install-recovery.sh and recovery.img(recovery.cpio for GB ROM) on /sdcard/ *1 *2
    4. run install-recovery.sh from root shell or any apps which can run a script (terminal, gscript, etc)
    e.g.
    Code:
    > adb shell
    $ su
    # sh /sdcard/install-recovery.sh

* How to boot recovery
    1. put reboot-recovery.sh on /sdcard/ *1 *2
    2. run reboot-recovery.sh from root shell or any apps which can run a script (terminal, gscript, etc)
    e.g.
    Code:
    > adb shell
    $ su
    # sh /sdcard/reboot-recovery.sh

*1 if you are using CM9, install-recovery.sh and reboot-recovery.sh are already installed on /system/bin/. if you are not using CM9, you can put these scripts on your ROM.
    *2 /sdcard/ is referred as "SD card" on Android, but it may not be physical/external "SD Card". please make sure files are placed on /sdcard/.

* How to boot recovery (alternative)
    for ainol NOVO7 AdvancedII/Aurora/Elf
    BACK + POWER

for other tablets, please find the way to boot recovery.

* How to control ClockworkMod Recovery 5
    for ainol NOVO7 Advanced
    VOL-: down, VOL+: up, POWER/MENU: select, BACK: back

for ainol NOVO7 AdvancedII/Aurora/Elf
    VOL-/MENU: down, VOL+/HOME: up, POWER: select, BACK: back

* How to install CyanogenMod 9
    1. download update.zip and put it on internal NAND flash or SD card (don't unzip it)
    2. install ClockworkMod Recovery 5
    3. reboot recovery
    4. install update.zip
    5. wipe data/factory reset *3
    6. reboot

*3 only if you are upgrading from non-CM9 ROM (CM9 1st install)
    Hello guys:)
    As you see, i working on cm9 for allwinner a10 (novo7 aurora)
    I uploaded CM9-NIGHTLY-120517-A10.zip
    Many improvements from previous version: HW Video enc/dec, video rec, HDMI(not tested)... :)
    http://quarx2k.ru/cm9-nightly-novo7(aurora)/