[Q] Question about rooting OTA KitKat

Search This thread
Hi everyone,

So I had rooted my phone using the Casual method, and mistakenly took the 4.3 OTA update (which locked my bootloader). Now, I'm on the KitKat OTA update (as of yesterday). In the sticky thread about the 4.3 update, I'm seeing a couple of things that make me hopeful. To be clear, all I want to do is root the phone--not install custom ROM's.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52904692&postcount=11 says that you can use "Survival Mode" in Super SU, and http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=53484457&postcount=19 talks about Towelroot working.

My question is, since I got the KNOX bootloader, are these still options for me? And if the Survival mode is, how do I enable it?

Some more information. When I try to open SuperSU, it says that it's missing and can't be installed. And I'm on the May 20 build of the kernel, so I'm assuming that I can use Towelroot to root my phone--but I'd like confirmation.

Have a great day, and thanks. :)
Patrick.

Last edited:

greatdaneduke

Apr 18, 2012
I used towelroot. I then installed busy box and supersu. I then checked root. I happen to stumble on your question so pm and let me know how well it worked. I posted a comment in the towelroot thread.

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
Towelroot works fine. Once super su is installed, close and re-open it. It will ask if you want to disable Knox. Say yes. This isn't the boot loader, it stops it from checking for root. You will start getting notifications to update security on the phone. Do not accept. It states on the disclaimer that comes up that it will remove programs and files IT deems are harmful to your device... Which means it will unroot you and delete anything that may be part of rooting...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Towelroot works fine. Once super su is installed, close and re-open it. It will ask if you want to disable Knox. Say yes. This isn't the boot loader, it stops it from checking for root. You will start getting notifications to update security on the phone. Do not accept. It states on the disclaimer that comes up that it will remove programs and files IT deems are harmful to your device... Which means it will unroot you and delete anything that may be part of rooting...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

That might be a problem then too. I got the thing about automatic updates from Samsung (SE for Android) and accepted it. I can always disable it, if necessary. I'll see if it will still root, and will disable the automatic updates if not. UPDATE: I was able to run Towelroot, and root the phone. Then I was able to reinstall SuperSU. When it updated and found KNOX, I clicked OK to disable that. After a bit, SuperSU stopped. According to SuperSU, I have SuperUser enabled.

Have a great day.:)
Patrick,

Last edited: