ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

save the file

adb remount
adb push c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\build.prop /system/

reboot so that the settings take effect

Stampere suggested this over in Paul's thread with no replys. The hxspa and gprsclass are not included in the Froyo build.prop anywhere I can see. They were included in CM 5.0.6.

Has anyone added these to Froyo and do they help or are they unnecessary and will conflict with the new Froyo 4.0.6 radio build?

damentz

Apr 24, 2010
Are you sure all those options are still relevant? My froyo image has none of these and performs well. I can get higher throughput by adding

Code:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

But the rest are largely undocumented and should remain at default unless someone can prove what they do.

The biggest issue is the radio. With Froyo, my 3g disconnection issues are GONE, so now we can focus on latency and throughput.

mtw4991

Mar 10, 2010
Orlando, FL
Are you sure all those options are still relevant? My froyo image has none of these and performs well. I can get higher throughput by adding

Code:
ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12

But the rest are largely undocumented and should remain at default unless someone can prove what they do.

The biggest issue is the radio. With Froyo, my 3g disconnection issues are GONE, so now we can focus on latency and throughput.

This is my point exactly. While I'm still getting some Edge flipping on Froyo radio in weak signal areas like work building, if the throughput is higher then why not add it? I don't think it can hurt anything:eek:

The rest are "relatively" undocumented as Cyanogen said he didn't know what they did, therefore he wasn't going to mess with them. My 2 thoughts were:
(1) If throughput were increased, would power consumption decrease as data would be transmitted and completed faster...or
(2) Would adding additional code lines conflict with the current image somehow as they were obviously left out on purpose?

prscott1

Nov 5, 2007
Houston
Since this has been confirmed as a test build, perhaps some of these other properties will show up in the official build?

I too have better connection with the froyo radio - but weak throughput. I'll research and try some of these and report back if I find anything positive.

mtw4991

Mar 10, 2010
Orlando, FL
Since this has been confirmed as a test build, perhaps some of these other properties will show up in the official build?

I too have better connection with the froyo radio - but weak throughput. I'll research and try some of these and report back if I find anything positive.

I added the hsxpa and gprsclass entries to my build.prop and will test also when I get out of work into a 3g environment, lol. I had modded this in CM 5.0.6 and played with hsxpa settings of 1 and 2. 1, I believe is WCDMA preferred and 2 is universal or something like that...

themetatron

Oct 29, 2009
SLOcala, FL
Last edited:

Daddyroot

Feb 19, 2009
Madison, Alabama
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net] [/URL]Just Google hsdpa, hsupa, hsxpa
You need to choose the appropriate category for your local network.
I forget which is which but the category number is representative of the download/upload speeds you are capable of while on edge, 3g, beyond 3g, hsdpa.
For me, T-Mobile in Madison, Alabama,
GPRS= category 32
Hsdpa= category 14 (this doubled my speed on mobile speedtest.com!)
Hsupa= category 7
Hsxpa= category 2
I always add these to my build.prop and yes its because when I first saw them in one of Paul's desire roms, I googled each of them and tested and I can definitely tell the difference.
Good luck

Want free 2gb dropbox?
Use this link. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczOTM2MTY5
NTczOTM2MTY5

Last edited:

Imperial.mack

Jul 24, 2009
Just Google hsdpa, hsupa, hsxpa
You need to choose the appropriate category for your local network.
I forget which is which but the category number is representative of the download/upload speeds you are capable of while on edge, 3g, beyond 3g, hsdpa.
For me, T-Mobile in Madison, Alabama,
GPRS= category 32
Hsdpa= category 8
Hsupa= category 7
Hsxpa= category 2

I always add these to my build.prop and yes its because when I first saw them in one of Paul's desire roms, I googled each of them and tested and I can definitely tell the difference.
Good luck

Want free 2gb dropbox?
Use this link. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTczOTM2MTY5
NTczOTM2MTY5

definitely got faster UL and DL speeds with the text I bolded :D

rjhay22

Dec 16, 2009
Torrance. California
Interesting... not sure itll be a good idea or even make a difference but Ill give this a try and report back my findings... If I may add though, an easier way to edit would be through root explorer app from market.

rallos98

Mar 6, 2010
Singapore

Code:
ro.ril.hsdpa=8
ro.ril.gprsclass=32

I added those 2 lines and 3G signal seems to be better when indoors. Especially in my room where the coverage is bad.

Last edited:

rjhay22

Dec 16, 2009
Torrance. California
Update based on speedtest.net:

NOTE: Tested each tweak 5x and took note of it, phone stayed on the same exact place the whole time.

3g
- No significant change in speed between stock FroYo build.prop/ril=1/ril=2.

Edge
- Gprs =12 gave me slower DL and UL speed.
- Gprs = category 32 showed slight increase in DL speed but noticeably slower UL speed.

I'm sticking with the stock FroYo build.prop, it works perfectly fine.

Last edited:

mtw4991

Mar 10, 2010
Orlando, FL
Testing update: Weird results

Ok, did some testing. Changing hsxpa from 2=>1 did help it stay on 3G and reduced the switching from 3g to Edge a little. I had hsupa=6 and was getting download speeds of around .04-.09 mbps with upload speeds of 1.72 mbps on multiple runs?????? really weird, almost like it kill the dl and supercharged the ul.

The link below shows that the T-mobile N1 is hardware configured for
gprsclass=10
hsupa=6
hsdpa=6/7
hsxpa=1 or 2

http://my.opera.com/fordcom2002/blog/2010/01/13/google-nexus-one

These are the only settings I played with and didn't do every combination as there are a bunch. Seems it didn't make a big difference no matter what I set them to. Also, there is the possibility that these settings are conflicting with built in Froyo settings somewhere else, although it would take someone much more knowledgeable than this rookie to find them, lol.

agentkalaw

Jul 22, 2009
Ok, did some testing. Changing hsxpa from 2=>1 did help it stay on 3G and reduced the switching from 3g to Edge a little. I had hsupa=6 and was getting download speeds of around .04-.09 mbps with upload speeds of 1.72 mbps on multiple runs?????? really weird, almost like it kill the dl and supercharged the ul.

The link below shows that the T-mobile N1 is hardware configured for
gprsclass=10
hsupa=6
hsdpa=6/7
hsxpa=1 or 2

http://my.opera.com/fordcom2002/blog/2010/01/13/google-nexus-one

These are the only settings I played with and didn't do every combination as there are a bunch. Seems it didn't make a big difference no matter what I set them to. Also, there is the possibility that these settings are conflicting with built in Froyo settings somewhere else, although it would take someone much more knowledgeable than this rookie to find them, lol.

did you just do this today?

it might be a TMobile glitch or speedtest app. I'm on a non froyo radio and was checking my speeds today and I was getting a 0.00 DL with a 1.4 UL
WTH?
but i know its DL'ing fine because i have no problem with the browser or youtube

serialtoon

May 25, 2006
Its possible that it could be a glitch. Check out my DL speeds. One is from an LA server and another from a Chicago server. Im located in LA.

stampere

Nov 6, 2006
ro.ril.hsxpa=0 is UMTS
ro.ril.hsxpa=1 is HSDPA only
ro.ril.hsxpa=2 is HSDPA,HSUPA this is also network dependent. if your network isn't configured for this then your better off with option 2

Last edited:

stampere

Nov 6, 2006
Originally Posted by stampere
you can edit the build.prop by
adb pull /system/build.prop c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\
open with wordpad and add the following lines

ro.ril.hsxpa=2
ro.ril.gprsclass=12
ro.ril.hep=1
ro.ril.enable.dtm=1
ro.ril.hsdpa.category=8
ro.ril.enable.a53=1
ro.ril.enable.3g.prefix=1
ro.ril.htcmaskw1.bitmask=4294967295
ro.ril.htcmaskw1=14449
ro.ril.hsupa.category=5

save the file

adb remount
adb push c:\where\you\want\to\put\it\build.prop /system/

reboot so that the settings take effect

Stampere suggested this over in Paul's thread with no replys. The hxspa and gprsclass are not included in the Froyo build.prop anywhere I can see. They were included in CM 5.0.6.

Has anyone added these to Froyo and do they help or are they unnecessary and will conflict with the new Froyo 4.0.6 radio build?

they don't conflict with the radio. the additional settings help with keeping the speeds consistent for streaming while tethered to the phone.