Hardware upgrade the xperia play?

Search This thread

XDM inc

Mar 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Google Pixel Fold
i know this sounds ridiculous i was wondering if even remotely possible with the finest engineers and a lot of cash how much would it cost me to upgrade the processor, RAM and internal memory of the xperia play?

now before you shoot this idea down i have been reading that theres some people out there with rework machines soldering and upgrading phone chips

Here's a example

now i know it sounds impossible but if this is possible i would pump out some SERIOUS cash to get this done. im sure some freelance engineer might know how.:fingers-crossed:

Bakisha

May 4, 2011
Impossible.

SoC....

System On Chip...

CPU, memory and graphic are actually one single chip. On xperia Play, it's Snapdragon MSM8255. It have Scorpion single-core CPU, Dual-channel 333 MHz LPDDR2 and Andreno 205 graphic. But it's still a single chip.

Mobile smartphone are NOT PC. they don't have separated CPU, memory and graphic. their's hardware are predesigned to match sertain SoC (only internal storage can vary between same SoC).

Maybe (and i repeat, maybe), theoreticly, internal storage can be expanded in a way of your idea...

Nuck-TH

Apr 14, 2013
New Mobotropolis
maybe enough posting such useless hope posts?
---
whatever, if you find device with same soc and more ram it may be possible. swapping nand or soc require new parts, that are pin-to-pin compatible, dont think that such exist through.

XDM inc

Mar 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Google Pixel Fold

Nukkus

May 26, 2013
don't get smart with me, kid.
I never specified any screen size or general size.

If the shield would have a design like the xplay, i'd get it

Dude, do you know anything about design engineering? The hardware you posted needs significant size, the shield isn't bulky for the hell of it, it needs proper cooling and ventilation. And don't call me kid, i'm probably 20 years older than you at least.

crazymonkey05

Apr 1, 2012
stilwell, OK
You would probably be better off modding a newer phones housing to fit a game pad and program the software for it

Sent from my ATT Samsung Galaxy SIII using TapaTalk

XDM inc

Mar 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 9
Google Pixel Fold
You would probably be better off modding a newer phones housing to fit a game pad and program the software for it

you know i was also thinking that, find a way to make the bottom half of the xperia play attachable on other phones and connect via bluetooth

but the idea of a boosted xperia play had more imagination lol

just killing time untill KitKat is mainstream on xperia play, im still dreaming...

crazymonkey05

Apr 1, 2012
stilwell, OK
Well your gunna need a lot of soldering skills and software development skills to mod a new chip in....remember that guy a long time ago that tried to solder a HDMI to his phone but he failed.....and to think that that was just HDMI not a whole new SoC

sewer56lol

Well your gunna need a lot of soldering skills and software development skills to mod a new chip in....remember that guy a long time ago that tried to solder a HDMI to his phone but he failed.....and to think that that was just HDMI not a whole new SoC

The hardware was there if it was mounted correctly defiantly.
It just needed a good software implementation, something probably hard to do not to mention that'd there probably need to be big backend stuff done in the kernel e.t.c.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mishkq

Sep 5, 2018
Well upgrading xperia play should be theoretically possible. If the pinout of the more powerfull version of soc would match the pinout of the current soc it probably should work. However the only faster soc which pinout probably match with the current soc is MSM8255T but it is only 500 MHz overclocked version of the current chip. So performance gain would be marginal :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    maybe enough posting such useless hope posts?
    ---
    whatever, if you find device with same soc and more ram it may be possible. swapping nand or soc require new parts, that are pin-to-pin compatible, dont think that such exist through.
    I secretly wish they would make a full hd xperia play with a snapdragon 601 or maybe even better, a Tegra chip, top that off with 2gb ram and 16 gb internal memory and you really got a great gaming device.

It's called an Nvidia Shield.
    I'm aware of the nvidia shield, thank you
    It's too bulky though.

yea i wanted the nvidia shield but its entirely too huge 0__0 its more of a home console and for a android powered home console i would just get the ouya.