Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

designgears

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Question & Answer

"Root de la Vega" What kind of name is that?
It's named after Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility.

Can you help me with the drivers?
No, but you can head over here for help with drivers.

How do I get into download mode?
Method 1: adb reboot download
Method 2: Pull the battery out, unplug the usb cable, reinsert the battery. Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen.

How was this root method accomplished?
By hex editing the system image to call a script on the sdcard as root.

Will rooting or downgrading or flashing stock trip the Knox flags?
No, KNOX flags will not be tripped!

Will root survive a factory reset?
Yes, it does.

Do I need have to fully wipe my phone when rooting?
Yes. If you don't you will get lots of nasty force closes. I have yet to find a way around it.

Does Xposed Framework work on a rooted AT&T Note 3?
Yes, it has been updated to work fully with the Note 3.

Will rooting report system as custom and display an unlocked lock on the initial boot screen?
Yes. It can be removed by installing Xposed Framework with Wanam Xposed and enabling Security hacks > Fake system status.

Titanium Backup is giving me problems, how can I fix it?
Check out this thread. If you are still having issues, please take your concerns to the dev, they are not related to rooting.

How do I open a 7z file?
With 7zip!

Can I do this on OS X/Linux?
No, not until heimdall is updated to support the Note 3.

Can I unroot?
Yes, use SuperSU full unroot option or flash stock.

How do I flash stock?
Follow the first 3 steps of the instructions.

I am getting a "Prevention Information" popup after running a root app, how do I disable it?
From terminal emulator or adb shell as root, run; pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
Or freeze the Knox apps with Titanium Backup.

Email is force closing, how can I fix this?
Unfreeze My Magazine.

Last edited:

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
Outstanding dude!! Could I ask if you could post the stock image as well in case users wish to return to stock? Also congrats on being the first post in the original development thread!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 5

Last edited:
Thank you DG. I have one question that I can't find an answer to. Does flashing any stock firmware trip Knox? For example you stated up above that flashing back to stock will remove the custom status and flashing back to stock will take care of that. So are you saying that flashing stock will NOT trip the counter?

I'm just really curious.

At&t Note III...& At&t G Pro

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
Thank you DG. I have one question that I can't find an answer to. Does flashing any stock firmware trip Knox? For example you stated up above that flashing back to stock will remove the custom status and flashing back to stock will take care of that. So are you saying that flashing stock will NOT trip the counter?

I'm just really curious.

At&t Note III...& At&t G Pro

Updated the QA :)

jokesonme

Oct 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Thank you so much!! Have been following since the weeee hours of last night can't wait :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk 4

dadymon53

Jul 10, 2012
Is there custom recovery, or is that too come in the future? Will there be a you tube video showing how this root process is achieved? This seems different when I rooted my gnote one. Awesome work op!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

designgears

Feb 9, 2010
SLC
"Copy the contents of Root_de_la_Vega.zip to the root of your sdcard"

internal sdcard or external sdcard?

Internal sdcard, updated the instructions.

Is there custom recovery, or is that too come in the future? Will there be a you tube video? Awesome work op!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

No recovery, bootloader is still locked.

I won't be doing a youtube video, if someone wants to do one, I will add it to the QA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Question & Answer

"Root de la Vega" What kind of name is that?
    It's named after Ralph de la Vega, CEO of AT&T Mobility.

Can you help me with the drivers?
    No, but you can head over here for help with drivers.

How do I get into download mode?
    Method 1: adb reboot download
    Method 2: Pull the battery out, unplug the usb cable, reinsert the battery. Hold Volume Down + Home + Power. Follow the instructions on the screen.

How was this root method accomplished?
    By hex editing the system image to call a script on the sdcard as root.

Will rooting or downgrading or flashing stock trip the Knox flags?
    No, KNOX flags will not be tripped!

Will root survive a factory reset?
    Yes, it does.

Do I need have to fully wipe my phone when rooting?
    Yes. If you don't you will get lots of nasty force closes. I have yet to find a way around it.

Does Xposed Framework work on a rooted AT&T Note 3?
    Yes, it has been updated to work fully with the Note 3.

Will rooting report system as custom and display an unlocked lock on the initial boot screen?
    Yes. It can be removed by installing Xposed Framework with Wanam Xposed and enabling Security hacks > Fake system status.

Titanium Backup is giving me problems, how can I fix it?
    Check out this thread. If you are still having issues, please take your concerns to the dev, they are not related to rooting.

How do I open a 7z file?
    With 7zip!

Can I do this on OS X/Linux?
    No, not until heimdall is updated to support the Note 3.

Can I unroot?
    Yes, use SuperSU full unroot option or flash stock.

How do I flash stock?
    Follow the first 3 steps of the instructions.

I am getting a "Prevention Information" popup after running a root app, how do I disable it?
    From terminal emulator or adb shell as root, run; pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
    Or freeze the Knox apps with Titanium Backup.

Email is force closing, how can I fix this?
    Unfreeze My Magazine.
    Hey guys, just released a new tool for rooting. Now if a new firmware drops you won't have to wait for me to release something :)

Universal Root de la Vega

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498850
    Quick update...

DO NOTE TAKE OTA UPDATES OR UPDATE WITH STOCK ODIN FILES THAT CONTAIN BOOTLOADER UPDATES!!

They have caught on and have started blocking the modified system.img.ext4
    Ok, I have updated the rooting method so the downgrade isn't required! Kind of.

Instead of flashing everything back to MI1, you just flash the system partition and cache. The root files have grown a bit that go on the sdcard, that is because I yanked the MI9 files that are needed to make everything function properly. Like the guy who had issues with his wifi, he skipped downgrading entirely to MI1, I did the same thing and then fixed it with my MI9 dump.

This new method will bring everything back to MI9 except the system partition which should solve the heat issues some of you are experiencing. I will have it ready at some point today. I am still waiting on my source to get back to me on the MI9 odin files, hopefully he will come thru soon.

The method should be easier too, just flash in odin and boot. If not, it will be about the same as it is now.