[Q] New DNA. Rooted. Then stuck in roaming. Now can't reunlock.

Search This thread

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I'll try to make this as brief as possible.
I convinced VZW to replace my Thunderbolt with a DNA.
I get it two days ago and discover rooting it will be challenging. I find Moonshine, then find out it won't run on 3.06. I find Rumrunner. After some settings tweaks, it works. So I'm rooted, S-Off. Ready to roll. I stick CM 10.2 on it. It works for a while, then I reboot and I'm stuck in roaming. I try flashing different ROMs to no avail. I do more reading and find that relocking and flashing back to stock will fix this. So I re-lock and flash stock 3.06. Still roaming. And now it shows "Relocked". I managed to get Hboot 1.15 on it and flash an O.G. VZW ROM. Now I'm down to Android 4.1. I'm "re-locked". Everything I read about reunlocking states to use the token sent from HTC. Since I never used the HTC Devsite to unlock, I don't have a token. Am I screwed here?

Thanks in advance, all. I always feel bad asking for help because I only do so when running into issues rooting a new phone. But I do donate and give thanks where it's due. I love what you guys do and always point people in your direction.

Last edited:

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Did you just "relock" the boot loader and not s-on? Does your hboot still say s-off? If so, you can still do some fastboot commands to flash a custom recovery and reunlock with the (almost) global HTC unlock zip Scotty made. It works on our DNA and plenty of other HTC devices, But it requires s-off and a custom recovery.

I will update my post with link to the zip soon.

Edit: don't remember the thread for DNA, but like I said. It is a semi global zip and all the zips/commands are the same. If you use the zip please give Scotty a thanks to boost his meter ;)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=47769994

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: mdphoenix

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
You rock. Thank you!

I am still S-Off. I'm trying the methods described by Scotty. One of the prerequisites is to have a recovery installed. Trying to install one via Fastboot and RUU, I keep getting failures. I'm going to shut down, restart, and try again. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Did you just "relock" the boot loader and not s-on? Does your hboot still say s-off? If so, you can still do some fastboot commands to flash a custom recovery and reunlock with the (almost) global HTC unlock zip Scotty made. It works on our DNA and plenty of other HTC devices, But it requires s-off and a custom recovery.

Edit: don't remember the thread for DNA, but like I said. It is a semi global zip and all the zips/commands are the same. If you use the zip please give Scotty a thanks to boost his meter ;)

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I keep getting the following:

C:\Users\mdphoenix\Desktop>fastboot flash zip twrp.zip
sending 'zip' (8308 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.075s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
FAILED (remote: 23 parsing image fail)
finished. total time: 1.389s

I gotta bail for a bit to shovel out this horsecrap mother nature dumped on us. I'll be back later to keep plugging away.

You rock. Thank you!

I am still S-Off. I'm trying the methods described by Scotty. One of the prerequisites is to have a recovery installed. Trying to install one via Fastboot and RUU, I keep getting failures. I'm going to shut down, restart, and try again. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again!

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
If you are still s-off and need to get an ulock-token from HTC try this...

Boot into fastboot and connect your phone and make sure fastboot recognizes your device and try this command (this won't hurt the phone)

Fastboot oem writecid 22222222

Make sure you input 8 2's and then reboot the boot loader and check to see if that stuck

Fastboot oem readcid

If you don't get all 2's this next bit won't work

If you do get all 2's then go to HTCdev.com and unlock your device by either selecting the DNA DLX or the "all other supported models"
(not sure if there is a dna on the list)

You will then use the unlock_code.bin to unlock the boot loader however this will wipe the device clean so backup your stuff

Hope this works and helps

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
You guys are friggin' badass. Uzephi. .torrented. Scotty. I love you all.

It took the new CID. The Dev site sent me the unlock.bin. All is right in the world. All I wanted was a stock debloat rooted so I can tether and get rid of stuff I don't want. Now, I can. Thanks so much guys.

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Yeah, so far I'm digging it. Even in it's stock form. What are some well-loved stable ROMs? I tried CM and that's what started this fiasco. I'm thinking I just want a debloated stock ROM and I'll do what I will with it from there.

orangechoochoo

Nov 30, 2012
Beating up dumbbells
Yeah, so far I'm digging it. Even in it's stock form. What are some well-loved stable ROMs? I tried CM and that's what started this fiasco. I'm thinking I just want a debloated stock ROM and I'll do what I will with it from there.
Try the new Sense 5 ROMs.

I still love CM ROMs though and they haven't given me a problem. Since your S-off you should try some of the other radios if the newest one is playing nice with CM ROMs.

jamiethemorris

Jan 7, 2013
I would give ViperDNA a try, Zarboz's GPE, and pick a random aosp-based ROM as well.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
Try the new Sense 5 ROMs.

I still love CM ROMs though and they haven't given me a problem. Since your S-off you should try some of the other radios if the newest one is playing nice with CM ROMs.

Which CM are you running? I don't mind the stock debloated except the sense crap. I don't like their menus. I don't like the lock screen. I really just want stock Android I think. And I'll tweak it from there. I'm also quite apprehensive after flashing CM10.2 and getting the Roaming issue.

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
Which CM are you running? I don't mind the stock debloated except the sense crap. I don't like their menus. I don't like the lock screen. I really just want stock Android I think. And I'll tweak it from there. I'm also quite apprehensive after flashing CM10.2 and getting the Roaming issue.

you could try a GPE ROM, it is stock android that you can run xposed on and customize it that way

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I have a gpe ROM as a backup since it is really solid, but I have yet to use it since Carbon 4.3 has been trouble-free for me.

Beautiful. I know everyone hates the "what's your favorite ROM" thread, so I won't ask any more and look at all of these suggestions.

Thank you again guys. You've been fantastic as always. As soon as I'm not unemployed, donations will be made.

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Team Venom came out with ViperDNA 3.0.0 two days ago. I upgraded from 2.5.0 and have to say, it is amazing.

It is KitKat and based off the Verizon One KitKat Rom.

The nice thing of Viper Roms is they have sense and aosp components in it. You can choose to use GE launcher or Prism. You can choose stock lock screen or aosp lock screen. And much more to desense the Rom.

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I'm so spoiled by my Nexus 10 that I flashed this on my DNA: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2392799

Now I'm stuck in roaming again. damnit.

Team Venom came out with ViperDNA 3.0.0 two days ago. I upgraded from 2.5.0 and have to say, it is amazing.

It is KitKat and based off the Verizon One KitKat Rom.

The nice thing of Viper Roms is they have sense and aosp components in it. You can choose to use GE launcher or Prism. You can choose stock lock screen or aosp lock screen. And much more to desense the Rom.

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com

mdphoenix

Dec 15, 2006
Bel Air, MD
I'll check out Zarboz's now. It appears that flashing with the SIM card out seems to do the trick with the roaming fiasco.

That's a really old GPE ROM, why not just flash Zarboz's GPE ROM, it's based on the newest OS.

The roaming issue might be that you need to change the settings from w/e they are to the correct ones in mobile data

Supashawn

Nov 29, 2013
Tampa
ROM

Beautiful. I know everyone hates the "what's your favorite ROM" thread, so I won't ask any more and look at all of these suggestions.

Thank you again guys. You've been fantastic as always. As soon as I'm not unemployed, donations will be made.

I have been using the full_dlx-codefirex 4.4.3.2.xxx. It is stripped down and super fast. I don't know others opinions of it being a daily driver but I have been using it as a daily driver for almost a week now and have had no problems; other than DSP Manager not working but; for me that thing has only worked CM 11. I just disabled it. Anyway I am sure you will find a ROM that you like from around here. Personally I have tried about eight or nine different ones before the codefire.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you are still s-off and need to get an ulock-token from HTC try this...

Boot into fastboot and connect your phone and make sure fastboot recognizes your device and try this command (this won't hurt the phone)

Fastboot oem writecid 22222222

Make sure you input 8 2's and then reboot the boot loader and check to see if that stuck

Fastboot oem readcid

If you don't get all 2's this next bit won't work

If you do get all 2's then go to HTCdev.com and unlock your device by either selecting the DNA DLX or the "all other supported models"
    (not sure if there is a dna on the list)

You will then use the unlock_code.bin to unlock the boot loader however this will wipe the device clean so backup your stuff

Hope this works and helps

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Premium HD app
    I'm glad you got it to work!

The DNA is a sexy phone, unlocking it is like getting her to "open up" so you can do whatever you want.
    Been running this with the APM Mod(Advanced Power/Reboot Menu): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565190

Stable, debloated, Sense 5

you could try a GPE ROM, it is stock android that you can run xposed on and customize it that way