ATT Changed my plan from Unlimited to Family Shared without permission?

Search This thread

RoachForLife

Jul 17, 2007
Orlando
My apologies as this isnt really device specific although I do use a Note 3 with ATT. I have had a family plan for at least 8 years now, and have always been on unlimited plan for my line (Im the acct holder). Yesterday I logged into my account to see that it was now a '10gb Family Shared Plan'. I call them up and they can't tell me why or how this changed but will be looking into it.

Ironically last month was the first time I surpassed the 5gb throttle limit. Its almost as though they are purposely downgrading my plan.

Anyways not too happy about this and hopefully its a relatively smooth transition back. Just annoyed this 'randomly' happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this lately?

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
My apologies as this isnt really device specific although I do use a Note 3 with ATT. I have had a family plan for at least 8 years now, and have always been on unlimited plan for my line (Im the acct holder). Yesterday I logged into my account to see that it was now a '10gb Family Shared Plan'. I call them up and they can't tell me why or how this changed but will be looking into it.

Ironically last month was the first time I surpassed the 5gb throttle limit. Its almost as though they are purposely downgrading my plan.

Anyways not too happy about this and hopefully its a relatively smooth transition back. Just annoyed this 'randomly' happened. Has anyone else experienced something like this lately?

Have you been tethering? I've heard of it happening when excessive tethering was used without a tethering plan. I was warned once. I dont risk it anymore. I love my family unlimited too much.

RoachForLife

Jul 17, 2007
Orlando
Have you been tethering? I've heard of it happening when excessive tethering was used without a tethering plan. I was warned once. I dont risk it anymore. I love my family unlimited too much.

No, never tether. I only used 5 gigs last month because I got a new car with bluetooth (yeh, welcome to the 21st century right! lol) and stream for 2 hours a day since i commute a lot. I probably used just over 5gigs though as I got the text notifying me of my usage just days before the end of the billing cycle.

theorioles33

Feb 15, 2011
No, never tether. I only used 5 gigs last month because I got a new car with bluetooth (yeh, welcome to the 21st century right! lol) and stream for 2 hours a day since i commute a lot. I probably used just over 5gigs though as I got the text notifying me of my usage just days before the end of the billing cycle.

That is unusual then. Hopefully it was a mistake. I've gone over 5gb a few times. My daughter did 12gb once. I mean it's unlimited. Right? :)

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
Does the 10gb plan include tethering? I might switch if it does, I have unlimited but hardly ever go over 1gb...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A

jc2470

Jul 14, 2007
lafayette
Actually everyone on family share plan with 10 or more gig data automatically got switched over, I had mine changed to it and the lady told me everyone would be switched over automatically. I'm sure they will switch u back, but we're probably hoping people would be willing to sacrifice unlimited for cheaper overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
Here's a few things to note.

Unlimited is not called Unlimited anymore. It's called Unlimited access, but will be throttled at 3gb.

If you tether, you will be notified by text that you will be switched to a tethering plan the next month. (had this happen lol)

AT&T can switch you of unlimited anytime they like, read the fine print contact.

On a side note, I was on unlimted until they keep throttling me. Coming off that slow unlimited access made life better for me.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

MMcCraryNJ

Jul 19, 2010
Acworth, GA USA
I still don't understand why people on ATT are trying to cling on to their Unlimited data. The people on Verizon have good enough reasons to (Verizon doesn't throttle or get pissy if you consume 10s of gigs per month, for now anyway). But on ATT your Unlimited plans are basically pointless at this point. After 3-4GB, your data essentially becomes useless after the throttle. For all intents and purposes, you can't tether. And it's actually cheaper to get access to more high-speed data every month on the newer plans. They literally made switching over to limited data a much better deal (or made keeping Unlimited a worse one, depending on how you look at it).

Last edited:

slimslim

Oct 14, 2009
Just switched mine, got 10gb, tethering included and actually cheaper.

dave812

Jun 7, 2010
Keeping unlimited.

The catch is that if you go on the shared minutes planes, your phones are no longer subsidized... So if you upgrade your phones every two years, the cost ends up being the same, if not greater when paying monthly for the phones. This in my calculations is about a wash in terms of cost, however you do not get to keep your phones at the end. These are great plans if you byop however.

sandman7793

Apr 24, 2012
Naples
www.infinitygigabyte.com
The catch is that if you go on the shared minutes planes, your phones are no longer subsidized... So if you upgrade your phones every two years, the cost ends up being the same, if not greater when paying monthly for the phones. This in my calculations is about a wash in terms of cost, however you do not get to keep your phones at the end. These are great plans if you byop however.

You keep your phone, just pay the remainder off. 9 out of 10 times phone has scratches, which means no giving it to therm. The thing is, you might pay the same amount in the long run (I won't because I'm saving $120 per month which equals $1440 in a year, at end of year I only owe $248 left on phone. Which leaves me with $1192 in savings.) Then I get another upgrade, which is every 12 months instead of 24. Plus no upgrade or activation fees. So tell me where this is a bad deal for me at all?

Oh and by the way its not shared minutes, in fact is unlimited talk and text.

Sent from my SM-N900A

dave812

Jun 7, 2010
You keep your phone, just pay the remainder off. 9 out of 10 times phone has scratches, which means no giving it to therm. The thing is, you might pay the same amount in the long run (I won't because I'm saving $120 per month which equals $1440 in a year, at end of year I only owe $248 left on phone. Which leaves me with $1192 in savings.) Then I get another upgrade, which is every 12 months instead of 24. Plus no upgrade or activation fees. So tell me where this is a bad deal for me at all?

Sent from my SM-N900A

It sounds like a better deal for you for sure. The way i'm set up to switch to next save me only $20/month before taxes. I have four lines so I get 2 upgrades a year. So I pay 240 more per year plus about 200 for each phone. This equals 640 a year with two phones. If the average phone on next is 30 a month, then there is the wash. My minutes are not unlimited, but on all lines mobile to mobile is unlimited and I rarely use more than 300. Plus they roll over so I have lots banked. Texting is also unlimited. Plus I can sell the phones at the end (I never do, though, and have 8 phones to sell or get rid of of you include the 2 phones each of my two children have to play on).

I guess how good of a deal next is depends on how good of a deal you had before. ...

Reactions: sandman7793

K-alz

Jun 7, 2013
They're absolute garbage. I had a 1GB family plan (you know, wifi everywhere and I never even pass that 1GB at all), so.i called them up to see why my bill was a little high then this girl was telling me that she has a better plan for me. 2GB for $5 less. I was like "hell yeah. Switch up now". Next bill was $15 over. LOL
Called them up again and downgraded back to my ole 1GB. I don't know why the lying. Do they really think people are that stupid? If you ever call them, first thing you wanna do is ask the employee about their ID number. Just say " I'd like your ID number". They can't say no. They'll get in trouble. So when an employee screws you over you just call them and ask for a manager and tell them about the employee that did it and give them the number to identify him/her. Other than that names don't work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1Zero3forlife

Jul 10, 2013
I gave up my unlimited plan for the 10gig plan a month ago, I added my dad's phone to the data and we are saving $80 a month now over the old plan and no more throttle or tethering is gtg without root. I'm actually pleased.

Att almost had me, I was about to let go of my unlimited data, I wasn't gonna save much since I wabted the 20 gb shareplan, but then I found out about the scam, I have 5 lines, sounded good to only pay 15 for each additional but how about when my mother in law wants to update for some 50 dollar renovate contract new smartphone, she never gets the most expensive, the point is that If I later want to upgrade for the best cheap offer new phone then it rises 25 for each line so instead of 228 that I pay I will end up paying 328, or if I get the next for every account, lets see at least 27 a month for 5 lines, wow arround 360, now how in hell thats gonna save me money.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

oh and I alone use arround 12gb a month.

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

1Zero3forlife

Jul 10, 2013
Because when you threaten to leave they knock it right to the $15, seen it happen a lot already.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does the 10gb plan include tethering? I might switch if it does, I have unlimited but hardly ever go over 1gb...

It does and it's actually cheaper per month.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N900A

It sounds like a better deal for you for sure. The way i'm set up to switch to next save me only $20/month before taxes. I have four lines so I get 2 upgrades a year. So I pay 240 more per year plus about 200 for each phone. This equals 640 a year with two phones. If the average phone on next is 30 a month, then there is the wash. My minutes are not unlimited, but on all lines mobile to mobile is unlimited and I rarely use more than 300. Plus they roll over so I have lots banked. Texting is also unlimited. Plus I can sell the phones at the end (I never do, though, and have 8 phones to sell or get rid of of you include the 2 phones each of my two children have to play on).

I guess how good of a deal next is depends on how good of a deal you had before. ...