VLC!!!

Search This thread

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
It was a complete P.I.T.A but I just finished building VLC. I had to upgrade my Linux distro, upgrade from Android SDK 15 to 17, install the NDK, install Eclipse from source (the version in the repos wasn't current enough), install the Android Developers Tools plugin for Eclipse, install about 30 different dependencies on Ubuntu, download over 1GB of Android SDK modules, and finally pull the Android VLC sources. Then I had to wait about 30 minutes while my ridiculously slow netbook compiled the source code, and THEN I had to compile the result of THAT in Eclipse.

The end result is an alpha build of VLC that runs on our phones (despite being built against the Gingerbread libs). It does in fact work, I just tested a couple video and audio files. I've tested the build with NEON enabled (hardware accelerated decoding) which seems to be okay and is in fact enabled on our SK4G. That being said, tomorrow i'll probably hit it again and build without NEON and see if it's more stable.

ENJOY

*** SCREENSHOTS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*** DOWNLOAD

https://rapidshare.com/files/648759753/vlc.apk

Reactions: mmayes

Roundtableprez

Jun 27, 2011
Ill give it a try in the morning looks legit. Are subtitles working? Like with mkv?

Sent from my SGH-T839 using XDA

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
I haven't tested subtitles yet. I tried one .mkv which caused the app to hang, but it was an odd format that I actually ripped from youtube. (it was a .webm which is basically a renamed .mkv)

Oh, and in case you're wondering why it says "no media" when you start it, you have to go into preferences and select which directories it reads from. mine are set to /sdcard/Music and /sdcard/Videos.

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
Unintentional kang

I didn't realize until I tried rebuilding VLC on my other computer today, but I uploaded someone else's VLC build (and a rather old one at that). I should really clean up my home directory because it's full of random APK files (both compiled and decompiled) and SDK components at the moment. I rebuilt about 4 times today, encountering all manner of errors along the way but after i finally got the issues all sorted out, the resulting build only runs on Gingerbread and ICS. This is because the Froyo code has been stripped from the the code base in the VLC git, so it's pretty much a no go on our phones until we get a Gingerbread ROM. On the upside, I just tested my VLC build on my old LG Optimus running CM7 and it works like a champ. I'll post the build I just made if anyone is interested, not that it does us any good on our SK4G

TNetRider

Sep 7, 2011
I'm definitely interested! Can you post your build. Does your build allow for entry of rtsp url to connect to a stream? Thanks a ton:)

N00b-un-2

Jan 29, 2011
Glendale
ryancuda.blogspot.com
no, there is no support for streaming built into the VLC app and I don't think there will be. There was no mention of it in the code, so I think that the VLC app is simply intended to be for local files only and be able to handle video playback of most file types and codecs. So far, I haven't been too impressed with it. It was a lot of work to get it up and running only to find that it lags far behind competitors like Mobo player and Rock player. Then again, it's still an alpha software so I'm sure file support will come.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It was a complete P.I.T.A but I just finished building VLC. I had to upgrade my Linux distro, upgrade from Android SDK 15 to 17, install the NDK, install Eclipse from source (the version in the repos wasn't current enough), install the Android Developers Tools plugin for Eclipse, install about 30 different dependencies on Ubuntu, download over 1GB of Android SDK modules, and finally pull the Android VLC sources. Then I had to wait about 30 minutes while my ridiculously slow netbook compiled the source code, and THEN I had to compile the result of THAT in Eclipse.

The end result is an alpha build of VLC that runs on our phones (despite being built against the Gingerbread libs). It does in fact work, I just tested a couple video and audio files. I've tested the build with NEON enabled (hardware accelerated decoding) which seems to be okay and is in fact enabled on our SK4G. That being said, tomorrow i'll probably hit it again and build without NEON and see if it's more stable.

ENJOY

*** SCREENSHOTS

*** DOWNLOAD

https://rapidshare.com/files/648759753/vlc.apk