[Q] Rooting NC5 without using TowelRoot?

Search This thread

breakneat

Feb 5, 2012
As the title states, I need to root my NC5 phone without using TowelRoot.

The process went as follows - I was upgrading my firmware to run the new Hyperdrive 18 ( requiring NC5 firmware and I was on MJ7 ) using Surges method to keep root and update everything but the bootloader. I forgot to flash the rooted NC5 firmware first. I now have Hyperdrive 18 running on a stock NC5 system. I also did not get a chance to flash the wifi module, so I have no wifi with wich to use TowelRoot, and I'm also stuck on a stock NC5 system.

Is there any help for me?

liljoe727

Jul 10, 2014

The process went as follows - I was upgrading my firmware to run the new Hyperdrive 18 ( requiring NC5 firmware and I was on MJ7 ) using Surges method to keep root and update everything but the bootloader. I forgot to flash the rooted NC5 firmware first. I now have Hyperdrive 18 running on a stock NC5 system. I also did not get a chance to flash the wifi module, so I have no wifi with wich to use TowelRoot, and I'm also stuck on a stock NC5 system.

Why do you not want to use Towelroot.com? It is by far the easiest option and this would not have happened.

Jesus loves you!

npjohnson

Recognized Developer

Go to towelroot.com on your pc and click the lamda. It will download tr.apk, then just email this to yourself and open it. Violla.

Neontc

Aug 10, 2012
Or put it on an SD card since it seems like Internet connection is an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

breakneat

Feb 5, 2012
An update first.

I'm deployed and in port in Dubai, UAE. I was quite intoxicated while I attempted this. I didn't flash the rooted firmware and then want able to flash the WiFi module because I don't have SafeStrap installed anymore. So now I'm left with a phone running the new hyper drive 18 on unrooted NC5 firmware. Half of the neat features just don't work since I don't have root.

Towel Root requires internet for some reason. So im stuck in that respect. I've downloaded the latest version of it just in case it works offline now, one can only hope

Thanks again for all of the quick responses!

ymDroid

Feb 15, 2012
Stafford, VA
Or put it on an SD card since it seems like Internet connection is an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Free mobile app

Yup sounds like Internet connection is the issue.

Neontc gave you the answer.

Download the apk files to a PC, connect your phone to the computer as a MTP device, and transfer the files to your sdcard.

Make sure Allow Unknown is checked under security in your settings, and open, and install apks using any file manager.

Download Safe Strap 3.72 and Towel root.

breakneat

Feb 5, 2012
At this point, I have most everything that I think I need - I'd just like to have my wifi working again. If I can download the complete stock NC5 firmware, I'll try to reflash at that point and re-try to install SS and TR, then maybe Hyperdrive 18 again. Thanks in advance!