[Q] Rooting N7 2013 with 4.4.2?

Search This thread

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
I hate being "that guy", but I want to make sure I don't brick a perfectly fine, working Nexus. First, I love the device. Received it for Christmas and it's everything I need in a tablet. I have rooted and flashed roms in the past on other devices. At this point the only reason I want to root is for Greenify and Titanium. I am currently running stock KitKat. I have checked out owenbeals tutorial videos but not sure that method is compatible with KitKat. So..

Question 1: Can I still root the device even though I am on 4.2.2? If so, what is the method I'm needing?

Question 2: I don't need to unlock the bootloader or install custom recovery just to root do I? I haven't had to do that in the past for other devices but I just want to make sure.

Can't wait to freeze and hibernate some apps I have no use for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
I hate being "that guy", but I want to make sure I don't brick a perfectly fine, working Nexus. First, I love the device. Received it for Christmas and it's everything I need in a tablet. I have rooted and flashed roms in the past on other devices. At this point the only reason I want to root is for Greenify and Titanium. I am currently running stock KitKat. I have checked out owenbeals tutorial videos but not sure that method is compatible with KitKat. So..

Question 1: Can I still root the device even though I am on 4.2.2? If so, what is the method I'm needing?

Question 2: I don't need to unlock the bootloader or install custom recovery just to root do I? I haven't had to do that in the past for other devices but I just want to make sure.

Can't wait to freeze and hibernate some apps I have no use for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Yes. It's a Nexus so it's easily rooted. I rooted after I upgraded to 4.4.2 right out of the box. As far as what method to use, I'm not a huge fan of toolkits, so I did everything manually: fastboot oem unlock to unlock bootloader, fastboot flash a custom recovery (I installed Philz), then flash supersu in said recovery. Super simple.

2) Well, no matter what route you go (manual or toolkit), you have to unlock the bootloader to do all this. Apparently toolkits can do all this for you and even relock the bootloader after. Don't know why anyone would want to relock though.

Reactions: Jersey846

Jersey846

Jul 20, 2011
Washington DC
1) Yes. It's a Nexus so it's easily rooted. I rooted after I upgraded to 4.4.2 right out of the box. As far as what method to use, I'm not a huge fan of toolkits, so I did everything manually: fastboot oem unlock to unlock bootloader, fastboot flash a custom recovery (I installed Philz), then flash supersu in said recovery. Super simple.

2) Well, no matter what route you go (manual or toolkit), you have to unlock the bootloader to do all this. Apparently toolkits can do all this for you and even relock the bootloader after. Don't know why anyone would want to relock though.

Awesome thanks so much! I think I've always used toolkits. Is there multiple toolkits or one you could recommend? I always need a step by step to walk me through it so I'm never on here crying about bricking a device.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Awesome thanks so much! I think I've always used toolkits. Is there multiple toolkits or one you could recommend? I always need a step by step to walk me through it so I'm never on here crying about bricking a device.

No problem. Always glad to help. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any toolkits because I've never used any. It's always easier for me, personally, to do everything manually. That way, if something were to go awry, I know exactly what the problem was and can correct it. It's super simple. I did it the same exact way I've done my GNex in the past, and my current Nexus 5. Just make sure you have the correct drivers installed. This is where most people's headaches come from.

These are pretty much the instructions I followed: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507905
Just unlock the bootloader, install recovery, and flash supersu in said recovery. Obviously, just substitute the recovery file with the one that's specific to the N7. I went with Philz recovery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485264).

I am by no means a tech genius, so if I can follow these steps, I believe you can too!

Reactions: Jersey846

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No problem. Always glad to help. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any toolkits because I've never used any. It's always easier for me, personally, to do everything manually. That way, if something were to go awry, I know exactly what the problem was and can correct it. It's super simple. I did it the same exact way I've done my GNex in the past, and my current Nexus 5. Just make sure you have the correct drivers installed. This is where most people's headaches come from.

These are pretty much the instructions I followed: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2507905
    Just unlock the bootloader, install recovery, and flash supersu in said recovery. Obviously, just substitute the recovery file with the one that's specific to the N7. I went with Philz recovery (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485264).

I am by no means a tech genius, so if I can follow these steps, I believe you can too!