New Builder Question

Search This thread

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
i spent all afternoon trying to fix a problem that amounted to an errant quotation mark in my script (and i knew it was something like that too. too many years of non-terminated string errors to not look there first:laugh:)

You need an editor with syntax highlighting.

psudeke

Apr 2, 2012
Philadelphia
Hey @psudeke you ever need any help with anything to do with source or git let me know

I am also willing to help out :D

and just a FYI be careful of @sbdags :cyclops: LOL

Just kidding....

Let me know thx Josh

thanks lj, getting a little more familiar with git is definitely on my radar. conceptually it makes perfect sense, but from the little poking around i've done with it, i need to get a little smarter for sure :cowboy:

You need an editor with syntax highlighting.

totally agree with you there. on the windows side, i always use notepad++, but i haven't found a good equivalent on ubuntu yet. i'm using kate(?), or whatever the default editor is that comes with the KDE desktop. it serves it purpose, but it doesn't seem that robust. i have to keep digging around :cyclops:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
on the windows side, i always use notepad++, but i haven't found a good equivalent on ubuntu yet. i'm using kate(?), or whatever the default editor is that comes with the KDE desktop. it serves it purpose, but it doesn't seem that robust. i have to keep digging around :cyclops:

You might like "geany" with this addition: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2607485

Many Linux/Unix pros use vim or emacs, which are as powerful as they are hard to learn. :)

Reactions: psudeke

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Ahh, thanks sbdags! that fixed the issue with ROM2SD. i got that impression when i pulled the preinit and saw it only had an entry for internal. but, i'm still very much in a learning phase so i didn't want to jump to a conclusion.

and after getting crombi to boot on external, i swapped sd cards and my build of CM11 actually booted! now the real learning process begins as i figure out how to customize it.

Thanks again to both you and @_that, you guys are the best:good:

I will tell you after 8 months of mess about with this stuff, I too am still in the learning phase, I have a feeling it will never end :D

The learning that is LOL

Thx Josh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    but I'm afraid to pull the trigger and flash it. I'm building straight CM for the tablet and AOSP for the phone, so what is the worst that could happen?

The worst thing that can happen is that you brick your device, but you must do something sufficiently stupid for that to happen. :) I can't say anything about your phone, but for the TF700T, as long as you have a working recovery, flashing a ROM won't brick it. You may want to create the nvflash blobs if you want to have another safety net - it is possible to brick the TF700T if you force it to boot to the recovery and the recovery is broken.

I haven't gotten either of them to run in the emulator, but I'm not completely sure that is even possible.

That's normal - ARM devices are just too different, and the emulator is just another different device.

Just thought of this, since I'm running Crombi ROM2SD, could I just install my zip on external, and then refresh the right kernel?

See my Android dual-booting thread in the dev subforum. I originally developed ROM2SD to be able to test my self-built ROMs without breaking my working installation.
    Internal is the 5/17 build of Crombi, and its a brand new install. with a full format of the data partition (which in my haste to get this working yesterday, i wiped out my nandroid from right before i tried this).

is there any connection between when the internal is flashed compared to the external? in other words, if i reflash the internal rom, it should still recognize an existing external rom? hope that makes sense, i'm still shaking off the effects of a little too much whiskey last night.:laugh:

No currently if you reflash internal it will only see internal. You need to reflash external for that to work.
    No currently if you reflash internal it will only see internal. You need to reflash external for that to work.

Ahh, thanks sbdags! that fixed the issue with ROM2SD. i got that impression when i pulled the preinit and saw it only had an entry for internal. but, i'm still very much in a learning phase so i didn't want to jump to a conclusion.

and after getting crombi to boot on external, i swapped sd cards and my build of CM11 actually booted! now the real learning process begins as i figure out how to customize it.

Thanks again to both you and @_that, you guys are the best:good:
    @sbdags and @_that

Just wanted to thank you both again for your help. After much trial and error, i was able to build the 5/27 version of CM and merge in that's 9 f2fs kernel, its running well so far. not a bad quadrant score for someone who doesn't know what they're doing!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khq17h04b715eyd/C11%20Benchmark%20ART.png

Hats off to both of you! :good:

--- Guess I can't insert an image directly from my DropBox, link is to a screenshot of my score ---
    After much trial and error, i was able to build the 5/27 version of CM and merge in that's 9 f2fs kernel, its running well so far. not a bad quadrant score for someone who doesn't know what they're doing!

Congratulations! If you can build a working ROM from source, you're already in the top 1% of people here who know what they're doing. :)