[MOD] [All ROMS] F2FS for TF700T

Search This thread

jokapo

Mar 15, 2009
Okay next bump in the road.

Formatted the data partition to f2fs in gparted.

After format finishes i took a look at the information of the partition and it said not recognise the file system is this correct??

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Formatted the data partition to f2fs in gparted.

After format finishes i took a look at the information of the partition and it said not recognise the file system is this correct??

Depending on the level of support for f2fs in other parts of your Linux system (kernel, blkid?) that may be normal.

jokapo

Mar 15, 2009
Depending on the level of support for f2fs in other parts of your Linux system (kernel, blkid?) that may be normal.

I used the latest gparted image which supports f2fs

I can also format it to f2fs without getting any errors

This is how it looks like in Geparted
20140621_112135.jpg

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Yes that is correct - gparted has a bug where it formats to f2fs correctly but then can't display the partition format - don't worry it will work like this :)

The gparted page says:

The blkid command from util-linux v2.23+ is required for f2fs detection.

Apparently the live distro contains an old version of this package. Not really a gparted bug.

Reactions: Ozark_8125

snicklet

Mar 20, 2011
Any issue with a data2sd setup as 32gb fat32 and 32gb f2fs? Instead of 32gb fat32 and 32gb ext4?

seriouser

Aug 10, 2010
I'm using Cromi-x 5.4 and I want to change /data to f2fs. I'm using TWRP 2.7.1.1. At the moment everything is EXT4. Is this the correct procedure?

1. Do a backup to external SD
2. Format DATA in recovery
3. Switch /data to F2FS
4. Perhaps reboot?
5. Restore /system and /data from backup to the newly F2FS'd internal card
6. Install _that's F2FS kernel

Is it really this simple?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Apparently it isn't as simple as that. When restoring the recovery automatically reverts the /data back to EXT4. Any way around that?

Last edited:
Sorry I read your reply a little bit to late. I have it set up and running very well, which specific _that kernel can I flash over my setup?

Update: I was unable to flash _that's kernel over the top of my CROMBi-kk DATA2SD F2FS setup until I used the Format Data to EXT4.zip to format my internal Data to EXT4. I had previously formatted my internal Data to F2FS. Not sure if this is useful to anyone but I figured I would put it out there.

Thanks for the info. I wasnt able to get f2fs to work on SD either, but I probably had internal formated to f2fs also. Weird problem!

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium HD app

LetMeKnow

Jun 17, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I'm using Cromi-x 5.4 and I want to change /data to f2fs. I'm using TWRP 2.7.1.1. At the moment everything is EXT4. Is this the correct procedure?

3. Switch /data to F2FS
4. Perhaps reboot?

Thanks.

EDIT:

Apparently it isn't as simple as that. When restoring the recovery automatically reverts the /data back to EXT4. Any way around that?

When you restored your BU, twrp reformatted your data partition with ext4 before restoring...:) So you may want to skip step 5 and it may work.. good luck...:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 AM ----------

Thanks for the info. I wasnt able to get f2fs to work on SD either, but I probably had internal formated to f2fs also. Weird problem!

Sent from my SM-N900A using XDA Premium HD app

Why wasn't it working? What is your setup? I did help a few users running f2fs with the internal or external data...:) Maybe, I may be able to help..:)

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

3. Switch /data to F2FS
4. Perhaps reboot?

Thanks.

EDIT:

I have not used TWRP 2.7.1.1 yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but it should work like this:

1. yes - you did that already
2. and 3. are the same. You format /data to f2fs - look for the option under the advanced format option
4. reboot to recovery
5. flash one of the kernels from the OP
6. reboot to recovery
7. restore data
8. reboot system

I don't think TWRP by default formats data before the restore - at least it didn't do that in former versions. I suspect you never really formatted data to f2fs in the first place. Watch the recovery script as it works and at the end save the recovery log.
You do not need to restore system as that partition never got touched.
Let us know if it worked ;)

seriouser

Aug 10, 2010
I have not used TWRP 2.7.1.1 yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but it should work like this:

2. and 3. are the same. You format /data to f2fs - look for the option under the advanced format option
4. reboot to recovery
6. reboot to recovery
7. restore data
8. reboot system

I don't think TWRP by default formats data before the restore - at least it didn't do that in former versions. I suspect you never really formatted data to f2fs in the first place. Watch the recovery script as it works and at the end save the recovery log.

I just went ahead and skipped the whole restoring business.

Now the tablet seems yo work great. Would I see any further improvement with Data2Sd? My card is a class 10 Lexar 32Gb.

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro

4. reboot to recovery
6. reboot to recovery
7. restore data
8. reboot system

I just went ahead and skipped the whole restoring business.

Now the tablet seems yo work great. Would I see any further improvement with Data2Sd? My card is a class 10 Lexar 32Gb.

2.7.1.x does appear to have a bug - it looks at the format of the backup and then formats /data first to match that format which is annoying if you have a nandroid from ext4 that you are trying to restore to f2fs as you end up back on ext4 through no fault of your own.... grrrr...

DIXES

Nov 22, 2010
It seems that F2FS has data losing issue when device freezed suddenly and must forced shutdown.
I found some files I copied to /sdcard are missing after rebooting.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ******************* INFO&CREDITS *******************

I know i've been away from this forum for a lot of time (mostly my Nexus 5 fault :D ) but when i've seen that F2FS it's now possible on this device i decided to create an easier way to create&use this filesystem,so average users can try it and decide.The best part of XDA is that everyone can contribute in the best way he/she can.
    Anyway all credit goes to: samsung (for the f2fs) , Alex Page <alex@apage.me>, @_that @Dees_Troy (TeamWin ), @dasunsrule32 (cyanogenmod), @Hundsbuah and to everyone who contributed to make this device better.Thank You all!

******************* About F2FS *******************

F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk (Hangul: 김재극) at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel.
    The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.
    Samsung chose a log-structured file system approach, which it adapted to newer forms of storage. F2FS also remedies some known issues of the older log structured file systems, such as the snowball effect of wandering trees and high cleaning overhead. Because a NAND-based storage device shows different characteristics according to its internal geometry or flash memory management scheme (such as the Flash Translation Layer or FTL), Samsung also added various parameters not only for configuring on-disk layout, but also for selecting allocation and cleaning algorithms. (source Wikipedia )

******************* WARNING *******************

* Please be aware that F2FS is still experimental and DATA LOSS or other issue may occur.
    * You agree to use this MOD on you own risk and i don't take any responsability if you encounter any issue or if your personal data is lost

******************* Requirements *******************

• Your tf700t device must be Unlocked
    • An external MicroSD card or a PC (for backup/restore )
    • A brain :D
    ******************* Preinstalling steps *******************

1. Backup of your personal data to an external card or PC (photo,music,ringtones,etc)
    2. Create a backup from recovery and store it in a safe place (external sdcard or PC)
    3. Download twrp_f2fs from the Download Section (second post )
    4. Download a kernel from the Download Section (second post) - _that and Hundsbuah are for stock based roms only ; CM11 is for Cyanogenmod based.
    5. Download your favorite rom

******************* Install Steps *******************

1) Install twrp_f2fs recovery using one of the methods bellow

Fastboot method
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp_f2fs.blob
    fastboot -i 0x0B05 reboot
    Terminal/ADB
    Save twrp_f2fs.blob to the root of your /sdcard directly (internal memory only).
    Launch terminal emulator or connect to your computer and open an adb shell, then type the following:
    Code:
    su

dd if=/sdcard/twrp_f2fs.blob of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p4
    and reboot your device
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Reboot to recovery (if the recovery was installed you will see the 4 linux penguins after pressing the RCK button)
    3) Enter the WIPE menu and select Format DATA ( warning all your personal data will be lost )
    4) Wait until the format is complete then reboot to recovery again (if previous step was succefull your DATA partition is now F2FS )
    5) Wipe Cache (Wipe Menu --> Advanced --> select only Cache partition and go)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6) ROM installation ( you can choose several methods to get your system back and running)

a) if you already have a System installed you can skip to step 7)
    b) install your favorite ROM from external sdcard and Reboot to Recovery
    c) restore your previous backup from an external sdcard (select only SYSTEM and DATA partitions) and Reboot to Recovery

7) Install one of the F2FS kernels (based on the ROM you have) and REBOOT SYSTEM
    Remember that everytime you install a new ROM you have to Reboot to Recovery and install an F2FS kernel.

That's it,the system should boot with an F2FS data partition,start playing with it. :good: :laugh:

******************* Rom2SD_F2FS *******************

NOTE:
    • In order to use Rom2SD you need to have a running and rooted stock-based ROM with busybox and a kernel with preinit support (_that and hundbuah kernels are one of them ;)
    • Also make sure there are no residual folders&files from an old Data2SD/Rom2SD setup ( basically delete the /boot folder in /system if there is one)

Partitioning your MicroSD -- > You can find a good tutorial (thx @sbdags) here

**** Install steps ****

1. Download all the files from Rom2SD section in the Download page ( post #2) and save them on MicroSD
    2. Download a Kernel from the Download page ( choose the correct one depending on your favorite ROM base) and save it to MicroSD
    3. Boot your device in Recovery
    4. Install Rom2SD_F2fs.zip
    5. Install Rom2SD1.zip
    6. Go to Mount option and make sure Data partition is unchecked ,if not,uncheck it and press Home icon to go back to the Main menu (don't press back)
    7. Go to Wipe and press Format Data (this will format your external data partition to F2FS) - if is failing check the Mount option again
    8. Install your favorite ROM (don't reboot)
    9. Install an F2FS Kernel (don't reboot)
    10. Install Rom2SD2.zip
    11. Reboot and enjoy Rom2SD_F2FS

**** Tips ****
    If you have a Backup for the Rom installed on external then you can restore your data and avoid the waste of time needed to configure everything again ;)

1. Boot to Recovery
    2. Install Rom2SD1.zip
    3. Go to Restore and select the desired backup and check only Data
    4. Swipe to restore and then reboot to system

******************* Back2EXT4 Script *******************

Description: This script will help you format the Data partition to EXT4 without the need to change the recovery.

Instructions:

**** Internal Data ***

1. Download Format Data to EXT4.zip from the download section and save it to MicroSD
    2. Reboot to Recovery
    3. Install Format Data to EXT4.zip --> Warning,your personal data will be lost
    Now your data (mmcblk0p8) partition it's EXT4 but you can still use twrp_f2fs

**** External Data (Rom2SD/Data2SD setup) ***

1. Download Format Data to EXT4.zip from the download section and save it to MicroSD
    2. Download Rom2SD1.zip from the download section and save it to MicroSD
    3. Reboot to Recovery
    4. Install Rom2SD1.zip
    5. Install Format Data to EXT4.zip --> Warning,your personal data will be lost
    Now your data (mmcblk1p2) partition it's EXT4 but you can still use twrp_f2fs

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Note: As you can see there are several ways to get your system up and running after your Data partition was formated with F2FS.Also based on my tests you can use an "old" EXT4 backup to restore on F2FS and should work viceversa too.
    I will also update this thread with info on how to go back to EXT4 without changing the recovery,and also i will try to modify the Data2SD/Rom2SD scripts and make them F2FS compatible.

And btw,please kick that THANKs button
    Downloads

********************************************************* Downloads *********************************************************

++++++++ Kernels ++++++++

That_F2FS.zip --> MD5 Sum: 1165247d099f5dbd5f5a4d4a848ff186
    Kernel_F2FS_Hund_v3.4.5 --> MD5 Sum: 888e71f5fade857ed7a062dc08b36d77
    CM11_Kernel_F2FS.zip --> MD5 Sum: e9772d2b8a63a009d0499c43fb93a6db
    Build by @sbdags F2FS kernels

++++++++ Recovery ++++++++

twrp_f2fs.blob --> MD5 Sum: 4391cdfac9bf9660f52b8b0081543ea0

++++++++ Rom2SD_F2FS++++++++

Rom2SD_F2fs.zip -- > MD5 Sum: f5629e4fc9c40cbb7590152001de8179
    Rom2SD1.zip -- > MD5 Sum: f6a6b0e5f0260078782a86c2e60c664e
    Rom2SD2.zip -- > MD5 Sum: e82008368cb8ee663a70e63c6cb10040

++++++++ Back2EXT4 Script ++++++++

Format Data to EXT4.zip -- > MD5 Sum: 7ddbbbbe5d7e3c546c46ab8c185b4a70

********************************************************* Sources *********************************************************

Recovery - build from the official sources available in Omnirom 4.4 tree (android_bootable_recovery)with @that kernel (kernel source ).
    Hundsbuah kernel - original kernel from here + modified ramdisk
    _that kernel - original kernel from here + modified ramdisk
    CM11 kernel - Source + Patch
    Reboot to recovery (if the recovery was installed you will see the 4 linux penguins after pressing the RCK button)

Even if you hadn't told me before, I could guess which kernel your recovery is using. ;)

Thanks for making this package available to all users!

A warning to all potential users of f2fs: There is still no program to repair a corrupted filesystem - fsck.f2fs can only detect corruption but not fix it. Don't store anything important on f2fs.
    Here are 4 kernels I repacked for f2fs - let me know if there are any problems.

CM11 4.4.2 Kernels
    _thatv9 cm11 f2fs
    DOWNLOAD
    md5 sum : a93873064ab6b3cc15cc4512bde2937e

Hunds 3.4.5 cm11 f2fs
    DOWNLOAD
    md5 sum : eb4229add5c6e1b6523901b92b6d6616

Asus Stock 4.2.1 Kernels
    _thatv9 f2fs
    DOWNLOAD
    md5 sum : 71491c7c88d32b0253c0c664a35ed43c

Hunds 3.4.5 f2fs (with LMKs tweaks)
    DOWNLOAD
    md5 sum : 4be1ff9900c7dcbaa511f669bfc96c1e
    I made 2 kernels for CM11 for data2sd setup with f2fs (sorry I know not CM10). But here they are if anyone wants to test them.

_thatv9 cm11 data2sd f2fs
    DOWNLOAD
    md5 sum : 8c340aca96c50ed734b0c903b80d8312

Hunds 3.4.5 cm11 data2sd f2fs
    DOWNLOAD
    md5 sum : 92cbf93223c07410758feb9921694353