iPhone to Moto X - iMessage?

Search This thread

somerandomname1

Aug 24, 2012
My pops got the Moto X, and he's not receiving some texts because of iMessage. I'm sure you've all heard this before.

I'm looking for the best solution if anyone has any information?

By googling, it seems the methods are:

-turn off iMessage on the device
-change password of the apple account
-unregister the apple device
-have the person who is trying to text you delete their text message thread and start a new one

I've done the first 2. The third one I can't seem to do because when I login to the site, the device isn't listed, so I guess it was never registered in the first place?

Besides those first 3, it seems the last one is important. The problem is, how can you know who is having problems and who isn't? So how do you know who to tell to delete the thread?

Does anyone else have any easier methods to quickly resolve this? Any help would really be appreciated.

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
i would call apple support and see what they say i just did some reading on this issue and there are 100s of different so called fixes but none of them work for everyone. so my best bet for you is to call apple support

but here are some websites that might help you idk apple need to get on there game and get this fixed

The only approved steps so far are to turn off iMessage on your old iPhone, have Apple Support revoke the certificate to disassociate your phone number from iMessage/Facetime, and for anyone using an iPhone to send you messages to update to the newest iOS (7.1 for iPhone 4 and higher, 6.1.6 for 3GS).

Code:
Other possible steps:

1. Go to www.icloud.com and make sure the device is removed from Find My iPhone.

2. Backup and then restore as new your old iPhone.

3. Go to id.apple.com and change your Apple ID's primary email address to something different than it currently shows.

4. Go to id.apple.com and change your Apple ID password

5. Have the other iPhone users delete the existing message thread, delete your contact from their iPhone, backup and restore from backup, and then re-add your contact using only your phone number.  Also, make sure they have 'Send as SMS' turned on.

The core issue is usually the other iPhones not sending the message as SMS when it should.

Code:
"If you have access to your iPhone 4 you are going to want to go into the phone and turn your iMessaging off,  http://vz.to/1hRAZNz.

If you don’t have access to your iPhone follow the steps below:

Step 1

Go to supportprofile.apple.com/MySupportProfile.do. 

Step 2

Step 3

Select the product you need to de-register (your iPhone, for example).

Step 4

Click ‘Unregister’.  

Step 5

You’ll see the message ‘Are you sure you want to unregister and delete this product?’ – Click ‘Unregister’ again.

other info i read was to put the sim card back in the iPhone. restore the iPhone to stock and then go back threw and make sure imessage and facetime is off. and then to call Apple support and have them revoke your certifications.

the issue is a simple problem the iphones are trying to send you a msg via imessage because there iPhone still thinks you have it. why apple can't find a simple and easy fix is blowing my mind.

aldouse

Jul 14, 2010
Milpitas
how long has this been going on. usually after you process steps 1 and 2.. it clears off after 12-24 hours. if its still not.. then double check your other devices.. is it set up on the ipad? or on an apple computer? those can also interfere... gotta turn off imessage on all devices where the phone/imessage account was set up on.

that happened to me with my when i first picked up my moto x... couldn't figure out what was wrong.. even verizon and apple customer service coudldn't tell.. then i noticed my ipad kept going off with missed notifications.. turned it off there.. and voila! problem solved..

steps 3-5 aren't that important... just 1 and 2 are the key ones...

somerandomname1

Aug 24, 2012
how long has this been going on. usually after you process steps 1 and 2.. it clears off after 12-24 hours. if its still not.. then double check your other devices.. is it set up on the ipad? or on an apple computer? those can also interfere... gotta turn off imessage on all devices where the phone/imessage account was set up on.

that happened to me with my when i first picked up my moto x... couldn't figure out what was wrong.. even verizon and apple customer service coudldn't tell.. then i noticed my ipad kept going off with missed notifications.. turned it off there.. and voila! problem solved..

steps 3-5 aren't that important... just 1 and 2 are the key ones...

Yeah, I figured I would give it time. They also seemed the most important to me. Question: did you turn iMessage off before you switched devices? I didn't think to do that until a day or 2 after the Moto X was up and running. So I turned iMessage off on the iPhone. It was still connected to WiFi so I assume it could still make the connection to apple's servers to remove that account from iMessage.

UncleMike

Nov 11, 2010
...the issue is a simple problem the iphones are trying to send you a msg via imessage because there iPhone still thinks you have it. why apple can't find a simple and easy fix is blowing my mind.

They have a simple fix - switch back to (or never switch from) iPhone. Just as their lack of a published solution blows your mind, Apple's mind is blown by the fact that anyone who has EVER used an iPhone would EVER choose to use anything else.

With Apple, your once standard SMS becomes needlessly intertwined with iMessage. Stepping into the Apple ecosystem is like stepping into any of the following:
  • La Brea Tar Pits
  • Roach Motel
  • Hotel California
Escape is rare, and often requires outside assistance.

Reactions: T-Keith and moSess

aldouse

Jul 14, 2010
Milpitas
Yeah, I figured I would give it time. They also seemed the most important to me. Question: did you turn iMessage off before you switched devices? I didn't think to do that until a day or 2 after the Moto X was up and running. So I turned iMessage off on the iPhone. It was still connected to WiFi so I assume it could still make the connection to apple's servers to remove that account from iMessage.

No I didn't... And that's what caused it. Had to move the sim card back yo the iPhone, set up Imessage again... Then turn it off. Then finally switched back to the moto x. And then issue resolved almost immediately.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
and if you would of read the OP you would know he has already done that and still has the problem
In which case the article suggests contacting Apple support.

I would assume, since it's no secret there can be issues with Apple's cloud services, that there may be times they'd have to give the server a kick from their end.

Also, there is a link at the bottom that accesses another article with more information about unlinking a number from iMessage and FaceTime...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5538

Last edited:

somerandomname1

Aug 24, 2012
Apple has an official article on this subject; it took me ten seconds to find it via Google...

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5185

You can also take 10 seconds to google and see that those instructions are mostly bull**** for a major proportion of people who make the switch. Especially after ios7 which made the "fall back to SMS if iMessage fails to deliver" off by default. People are trying to send via iMessage and when it fails, it doesn't fall back to SMS like it should. People are even continuing to have problems after their iPhone friends/family turn that setting on anyway. It's a really ****ed up system.

D

Darth

You're not supposed to leave iPhone. Can't you take the hint? ;)

Sent from my N5, N7, Moto X, G Tab 3 or S2.....

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Bet apple goons show up at your door after you've switched....to "persuade " you to return to them. I think they just implemented that procedure.

Solutions Etcetera

Oct 7, 2012
Sierra Nevada (west slope)
You can also take 10 seconds to google and see that those instructions are mostly bull**** for a major proportion of people who make the switch. Especially after ios7 which made the "fall back to SMS if iMessage fails to deliver" off by default. People are trying to send via iMessage and when it fails, it doesn't fall back to SMS like it should. People are even continuing to have problems after their iPhone friends/family turn that setting on anyway. It's a really ****ed up system.
Possibly, but I did not have a problem with it. I simply signed out of all iCloud based accounts before moving to android... with the exception of iCal.

D

Darth

My wife stole my Moto x recently, and finally gave up her just brutal iPhone 4s..(iPhone updated the iPhone 4s into uselessness (slow slow slow)....to sell more 5's I figure)...and yeah, she signed out of imessage first, like I told her..then switched to the Moto x.....and had no issues by the next day. ;)

I Am Marino

Mar 13, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm glad you guys are getting this working.
I've done every step in this thread and then some and I can't SEND texts to an iPhone, I can receive them with a delay.

Hopefully time will resolve this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ...the issue is a simple problem the iphones are trying to send you a msg via imessage because there iPhone still thinks you have it. why apple can't find a simple and easy fix is blowing my mind.

They have a simple fix - switch back to (or never switch from) iPhone. Just as their lack of a published solution blows your mind, Apple's mind is blown by the fact that anyone who has EVER used an iPhone would EVER choose to use anything else.

With Apple, your once standard SMS becomes needlessly intertwined with iMessage. Stepping into the Apple ecosystem is like stepping into any of the following:
    • La Brea Tar Pits
    • Roach Motel
    • Hotel California
    Escape is rare, and often requires outside assistance.