[App][2.2+] Wave Control - Control your phone without even touching it

Search This thread

MarksThinkTank

May 1, 2012
I've decided to take this out of incubation in the device specific forums and put it fully out there. All feedback is appreciated!

Update (10/11/2012): Half of proceeds from app sales from October will be donated to Breast Cancer Research
More Info Here

Update (9/7/2012): New Tasker Support for changing profiles in Wave Control!

Update 31/08/2012: Jelly Bean users are getting force closes in the Play Store app when navigating to Wave Control -- The free version's apk is available to download on this post. Please if it's working for you in Play Store download from there.. I need the install count ;)

Wave Control uses the proximity sensor to detect hand gestures to control music/movie playback (free version) and more (paid version).

I developed this originally on the Note and luckily it happened to have one of the best proximity sensors (at least for my uses). Now I've moved on to the SGSIII and it works just as well! Works best on the SGSIII, Note and Galaxy Nexus. Not so great on HTC phones and SGSII due to their particular sensors (much slower).

Performance will vary depending on which sensor your phone uses. All HTC phones use the same slow one. Samsung uses about 3 different vendors and more models.. most are good, Sony is usually ok, Motorola is a mixed bag. I try to account for some of the differences in the sensors. But be aware you may have to wave at a different speed than in the youtube videos.

There are 4 basic gestures:
-Hover
-1 Wave
-2 Waves
-3 Waves

By default they correspond to Play/Pause, Next, Previous, Enable/Disable Controls respectively.

In the Pro version or upgraded free version, they can be remapped to any of those plus: Screen Toggle On/Off, Volume Up, Volume Down, Launch Google Voice Search, Fast Forward, Rewind, and do nothing.

Popular uses are:
When driving, don't have to take your eyes off the road to try to hit a button
When your hands are dirty so you don't smear crap all over your phone like when cooking or working on car
While on the computer, you don't have to bother waking the phone to change the song (works even when the screen is off)

New
Control music on your PC using foobar2000 controller Pro-- Now compatible with Wave Control
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controllerpro

I'd like to see what you guys think of it. If you have any suggestions for new features or any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Google Play Store Link:
Free Version

Here are some youtube videos of it in action:

Coming Soon:
Profiles

Permissions Needed:

Wake Lock: To work when the screen is off on some phones
Read Phone State: To switch modes when phone is ringing or in-call
Internet: For Ad Supported Version
Access Network State: For Ad Supported Version
Access Coarse Location: This is not GPS -- For Ad Supported Version
Write External Storage: For Ad Supported Version
Vibrate Used when app not in foreground or screen is off
Write Settings: For Screen Toggle On/Off action
Billing: For Upgrades Store

Attachments

• WaveControl.apk
    944.8 KB · Views: 1,143
Last edited:

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Not share why but when I try to go to the app in the market I get a force close of the market. It immediately closes once the install page comes up. I can go to any other app and open it to the install page and install the app.

Sent from My SGH-I777 Running Red Reaper Rom

MarksThinkTank

May 1, 2012
Not share why but when I try to go to the app in the market I get a force close of the market. It immediately closes once the install page comes up. I can go to any other app and open it to the install page and install the app.

Whoa.. that's a weird one. Maybe Google hates me??

Can you try install from a PC browser and see if it'll do the background install on the phone?

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Whoa.. that's a weird one. Maybe Google hates me??

Can you try install from a PC browser and see if it'll do the background install on the phone?

I will try it right now and let you know.
EDIT: I was able to download it from the browser version of the play store.

Last edited:

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
I am trying the free version for now. I really like the app so far. I do have one issue though and maybe the paid version fixes this. When I have it turned on but not in use per se, I start texting in landscape mode and it will toggle on/off the music constantly even when I am not planning on listening to music. I did look through the settings and only option I see that works is to have the app turned off while I am texting/or using the keyboard for anything like typing in this reply via xda app. Is it possible to implement a setting that IF the phone e is in landscape or IF the keyboard is in use that it overrides the app turn I g music on?
Again I am only using the free version right now for testing and will plan on using the paid app once I like the setup. Thanks and this is a great idea.

MarksThinkTank

May 1, 2012
I am trying the free version for now. I really like the app so far. I do have one issue though and maybe the paid version fixes this. When I have it turned on but not in use per se, I start texting in landscape mode and it will toggle on/off the music constantly even when I am not planning on listening to music. I did look through the settings and only option I see that works is to have the app turned off while I am texting/or using the keyboard for anything like typing in this reply via xda app. Is it possible to implement a setting that IF the phone e is in landscape or IF the keyboard is in use that it overrides the app turn I g music on?
Again I am only using the free version right now for testing and will plan on using the paid app once I like the setup. Thanks and this is a great idea.

I've had a request over email from a user for a mode where it only works when the screen is off. I think this would help a lot of these type issues.

I'll see if I can detect whether the keyboard is active in another app or not. That's a great idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh and which version of the Play Store are you running?

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
I've had a request over email from a user for a mode where it only works when the screen is off. I think this would help a lot of these type issues.

I'll see if I can detect whether the keyboard is active in another app or not. That's a great idea.

Thanks for the feedback!

Oh and which version of the Play Store are you running?

Right now I have the Play Store from CM10 Version 3.7.15

MarksThinkTank

May 1, 2012
Right now I have the Play Store from CM10 Version 3.7.15

Hmm. That's the same version I have on my stock SGSIII.

I wonder if it's a Jelly Bean thing. Someone in the Galaxy Nexus thread had the same issue. I have no idea why it would be a Jelly Bean thing though.

DangKid

Jun 22, 2011
I've been using this app since April and have a pro copy of it because I loved how original the app was and how well it worked. I find it useful when I'm driving to change my songs. Great to see this finally land on XDA.

Sent from my Samsung Infuse on CM10 using Tapatalk

RockRatt

Aug 1, 2010
Ok I think I got the Play Store FC thing figured out.

Try it now..

<crossing fingers>

Still doesn't work for me. I tried going to market and used the search bar for wave control. It finds it and I click on it and play store crashes. Again I went to other apps and can view them with no issues. I can update apps no issues. Next I wiped data for the play store, re-accepted once I reopened it, try to go to wave control and it still will force close.
I already have it from the browser version but wanted to test for you.

MarksThinkTank

May 1, 2012
Still doesn't work for me. I tried going to market and used the search bar for wave control. It finds it and I click on it and play store crashes. Again I went to other apps and can view them with no issues. I can update apps no issues. Next I wiped data for the play store, re-accepted once I reopened it, try to go to wave control and it still will force close.
I already have it from the browser version but wanted to test for you.

Damn. It was working on a friend of mine's Nexus w/ Jelly Bean where it had crashed before.

HunnyBearLewis

Mar 21, 2011
I remember when this first came out and was so impressed with the concept...and it really has a come a long way. :highfive:

This is one of the apps I repeatedly show off to others - oh and guess what, sir? I just got a Visa card and will be buying the Pro version because it's that awesome.

So essentially this post was just to say: you and this app are awesome, thanks for existing haha.

m.klinge

Jun 16, 2008
Great app :)

How about tasker integration? I would love to be able to activate/deactivate from within tasker. Another cool feature would be able to change the "key mapping" from within tasker. Say at some point I want 3 waves to turn on the screen, yet at sone other point it should simply do nothing.

I've just bought the pro version and like what I've seen so far :)

//M

Sent from my LT26i using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've decided to take this out of incubation in the device specific forums and put it fully out there. All feedback is appreciated!

Update (10/11/2012): Half of proceeds from app sales from October will be donated to Breast Cancer Research
    More Info Here

Update (9/7/2012): New Tasker Support for changing profiles in Wave Control!

Update 31/08/2012: Jelly Bean users are getting force closes in the Play Store app when navigating to Wave Control -- The free version's apk is available to download on this post. Please if it's working for you in Play Store download from there.. I need the install count ;)

Wave Control uses the proximity sensor to detect hand gestures to control music/movie playback (free version) and more (paid version).

I developed this originally on the Note and luckily it happened to have one of the best proximity sensors (at least for my uses). Now I've moved on to the SGSIII and it works just as well! Works best on the SGSIII, Note and Galaxy Nexus. Not so great on HTC phones and SGSII due to their particular sensors (much slower).

Performance will vary depending on which sensor your phone uses. All HTC phones use the same slow one. Samsung uses about 3 different vendors and more models.. most are good, Sony is usually ok, Motorola is a mixed bag. I try to account for some of the differences in the sensors. But be aware you may have to wave at a different speed than in the youtube videos.

There are 4 basic gestures:
    -Hover
    -1 Wave
    -2 Waves
    -3 Waves

By default they correspond to Play/Pause, Next, Previous, Enable/Disable Controls respectively.

In the Pro version or upgraded free version, they can be remapped to any of those plus: Screen Toggle On/Off, Volume Up, Volume Down, Launch Google Voice Search, Fast Forward, Rewind, and do nothing.

Popular uses are:
    When driving, don't have to take your eyes off the road to try to hit a button
    When your hands are dirty so you don't smear crap all over your phone like when cooking or working on car
    While on the computer, you don't have to bother waking the phone to change the song (works even when the screen is off)

New
    Control music on your PC using foobar2000 controller Pro-- Now compatible with Wave Control
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cav.foobar2000controllerpro

I'd like to see what you guys think of it. If you have any suggestions for new features or any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Google Play Store Link:
    Free Version

Here are some youtube videos of it in action:

Coming Soon:
    Profiles

Permissions Needed:

Wake Lock: To work when the screen is off on some phones
    Read Phone State: To switch modes when phone is ringing or in-call
    Internet: For Ad Supported Version
    Access Network State: For Ad Supported Version
    Access Coarse Location: This is not GPS -- For Ad Supported Version
    Write External Storage: For Ad Supported Version
    Vibrate Used when app not in foreground or screen is off
    Write Settings: For Screen Toggle On/Off action
    Billing: For Upgrades Store
    V2.25 - Profiles!

I finally got past some major procrastination and added in profiles.

You can have up to 4 profiles.
    Each profile contains all the settings and the commands you assigned to each gesture.

How I'm using it:

Profile 1:
    Target Media App: Music Player
    Screen Off only mode

Hover: Play/Pause
    1 - Wave: Next
    2 - Wave: Screen On/Off Toggle
    3 - Wave: Enable/Disable​

Profile 2:
    Target Media App: MX Player
    Screen On Only Mode

Hover: Play/Pause
    1 - Wave: Fast Forward
    2 - Wave: Rewind
    3 - Wave: None​

Let me know what you guys think!

What's Next:
    Gonna spend some time on getting the tablet version ready for beta. Then, work on Tasker control of the Profiles. Then... widgets.
    Tasker Tasker Tasker

V2.30 Has just been posted to the Play Store

With it brings support for Tasker by way of a Tasker Plugin.

From Tasker, you can now switch profiles. And Profiles allow you to set all settings and gesture assignments, so now Tasker can pretty much fully setup Wave Control.

Find "Wave Control Plugin" in Tasker's "Plugin" section for actions.

Note: Pro or Assignable Actions Upgrade is required for access to profiles and thus this feature.
    Great app :)

How about tasker integration? I would love to be able to activate/deactivate from within tasker. Another cool feature would be able to change the "key mapping" from within tasker. Say at some point I want 3 waves to turn on the screen, yet at sone other point it should simply do nothing.

I've just bought the pro version and like what I've seen so far :)

//M

I do plan on some Tasker integration. I want to setup profiles first. Each profile would be a set of actions mapped to the gestures and the target app. Then once that's in place have Tasker be able to control that.

It's all coming... just have to fix some stuff first :)
    That sounds great :)

How about being able to activate/deactivate as well?

//M

It's coming ;)