[HOW TO] Unlock bootloader, Root, Flash Custom ROM, Flash Kernel

Search This thread

tobbiniss

Feb 11, 2013
I don't seem to be able to return to stock...

I unlocked, flashed a new recovery, then flashed a costum ROM (tried cm10,modaco,trickdroid etc.) but I only got stuck on boot screen.
So, I figured I would start from scratch.

I relocked it and downloaded a RUU.
Problem is that the RUU wont install. It keeps getting the signature verification error.

I have cid htc_y13.

Bootloader says:
VLE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
Hboot 2.15.0000

The RUU was:
OTA_Ville_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.16.401.8_1.11.50.05.28_10.27.50.08L_release_301852xf01hejl416oev96.zip

I have searched this problem for a while now but havent come to a solution.

Zonium

Apr 21, 2012
I don't seem to be able to return to stock...

I unlocked, flashed a new recovery, then flashed a costum ROM (tried cm10,modaco,trickdroid etc.) but I only got stuck on boot screen.
So, I figured I would start from scratch.

I relocked it and downloaded a RUU.
Problem is that the RUU wont install. It keeps getting the signature verification error.

I have cid htc_y13.

Bootloader says:
VLE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
Hboot 2.15.0000

The RUU was:
OTA_Ville_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.16.401.8_1.11.50.05.28_10.27.50.08L_release_301852xf01hejl416oev96.zip

I have searched this problem for a while now but havent come to a solution.

Do you flashed boot.img via fastboot when you installed custom rom?

Sent from my One S

tobbiniss

Feb 11, 2013
ouch

Do you flashed boot.img via fastboot when you installed custom rom?

Sent from my One S

OK, first off I wanna thank you for that, second I wanna hit myself in the head.
I didnt flash boot.img. I read somewhere that you didnt have to bother with that in twrp.

I have now booted the boot.img, and voila, it starts ut perfectly.

Obviosly wasnt a good idea to decide to learn how to root at 02:00..

Thank you again and goodnight!

Mercado_Negro

Jan 25, 2013
Caracas
Thank you very much for this AIO toolkit, it worked flawlessly on my end (VilleC2).

I've seen this asked before but I still don't understand how to do it exactly. Now that my device is rooted, how do I install a new version of my system (e.g., JB), via OTA? My carrier has not released an update yet but I just want to know how to proceed in this case.

As far as I've read, I'll just have to relock the bootloader (I'll use the AIO Toolkit option), flash the stock recovery (how?), update then unlock the bootloaded again and flash TWRP again. Is this correct?

Mercado_Negro

Jan 25, 2013
Caracas
@hasoon2000

When you say:

Go to Backup and back up your boot and system partition. Always have a back up before you flash or do anything

That backup is a Nandroid, correct?

Sorry if this is too obvious, I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
David

skinybones

Feb 13, 2013
Waiting for device

After i clicked on the flash recovery for the S4 and it loads me into the fastboot screen in the command prompt it says waiting for device what can i do? Also im on windows 8 so i dont know if that has anything to do with it

Ddotlan

Feb 19, 2013
Question?

Thank you very much for this AIO toolkit, it worked flawlessly on my end (VilleC2).

I've seen this asked before but I still don't understand how to do it exactly. Now that my device is rooted, how do I install a new version of my system (e.g., JB), via OTA? My carrier has not released an update yet but I just want to know how to proceed in this case.

As far as I've read, I'll just have to relock the bootloader (I'll use the AIO Toolkit option), flash the stock recovery (how?), update then unlock the bootloaded again and flash TWRP again. Is this correct?

Hello, my htc one s villec2, run jelly bean. So, i want root my htc, what do we do? Will we sucess when i do follow thread.?
I am sorry, my english is bed. Thanks

Mercado_Negro

Jan 25, 2013
Caracas
Hello, my htc one s villec2, run jelly bean. So, i want root my htc, what do we do? Will we sucess when i do follow thread.?
I am sorry, my english is bed. Thanks

Yes, just follow the instructions on the OT. It doesn't matter if you have ICS or JB, rooting does not depend on that.

By the way, I found the answers to my own questions :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ddotlan

RafekRafat

Dec 12, 2012
need a help

ADB sideload ... after pushing rom i have error in flashing (assert faild : getprop('ro.build.product') == 'aries' (status 7)
error flashing zip)
have i change the rom ???

Last edited:

BilboSwaggins

Jan 19, 2013
Gillingham, Kent
SuperSU problem

Everything was going perfectly (that all-in-one kit was a lifesaver, thank you so much) until I installed the SuperUser.apk. Once installed, it says in a pop-up notification "There is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem!" and then the application closes. Can somebody tell me where I went wrong and how I need to correct this, because I do not have access to the internal files of the phone yet and that was the entire point of me doing this.

sgmistry

Jan 27, 2013
Mumbai
Recover to stock JB

Hi,
I have installed Trcidroid 6 JB for Htc Onre S C2
I am having Latest HBOOT and also have Jellybean OTA ZIP file for my CID 038
Acn any one guide me how to retuen to stocj JB using OTA .zip file from Trickdroid 6.0

Kindly help
Thanks in advance

spritz2o

Apr 12, 2011
sorry but.....i've a problem...my situation: boot relocked , CM insalled (but unused cause boot locked), no stock recovery install... i tried get the token to unlock the bootloader from htc dev but it give me error 150...why??

touney

Mar 17, 2013
All help appreciated

Hi all and thanks very much for your help in advance.

I've been trying to flash a custom rom for the first time, but even after dozens and dozens of hours fighting against the phone (one s c2) I still can't seem to make it work. I follow the instructions, but every time I get to the end of it thinking "this time I did everything right" and I'm booting with the new rom it gets stuck on the startup screen that says:
HTC
quietly brilliant
this build is for development purposes only do not distribute outside of htc without htc's written permission. failure to comply may lead to legal action.

Rom I'm trying to flash is TrickDroid 6.0 and my phone is the ville c2 currently running android 4.1.1 with sense 4+. Here's what I've done:

- Unlocked the bootloader by following all steps in htc dev

- flashed TWRP

- installed SuperSU from google play
--- SuperSU wanted to boot to recovery to update something so I did booted and it updated

- downloaded ROM to phone

- made a backup with TWRP

- wiped phone in TWRP (factory reset, system, cache, dalvik cache in that order)

- installed TrickDroid 6.0

- install successful, pressed back, reboot, boot into bootloader

- TWRP says "No OS installed! Are you sure you wish to reboot?"
--- I just installed the ROM, I have no idea what went wrong or why it says no OS installed, but I decided to try anyway. I can always go back to the backup after all

- TWRP says "Install SuperSU? Your device does not appear to be rooted. Install SuperSU now? This will root the device."
--- Again, no idea why it would say that. Maybe I did something wrong when rooting? If so, what could it have been? Anyway, I pressed 'yes install SuperSU' and it booted to bootloader

- opened the HTC One S AIO Kit by Hasoon2000 v3.4
--- pressed Flash a Kernel and located the boot.img on my computer
--- successful!

- pressed reboot

- after 30 mins it's still on the startup screen "HTC quietly brilliant" with red text on the bottom saying "this build is for development purposes only do not distribute outside of htc without htc's written permission. failure to comply may lead to legal action." I hold the power button until I get to bootloader and restore the backup.

I've tried this at least half a dozen times and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do differently so please tell me if you have any kind of an idea about this.

If you need more specific details about what I did just ask I'll be happy to tell you. :)

Reactions: teonagode

zarnexx

Jun 27, 2011
Have to tried to flash the rom again?

1. boot into bootloader, flash the boot.img that comes with TD 6.0(open the rom with 7zip)
2. boot into recovery, wipe everything, flash rom
3. don´t reboot system, wipe cache only first
4. reboot

Reactions: touney

thaichicken

Mar 24, 2013
htc one (m7)

got a problem with a htc one (m7) build 1.2.8, using cwm 6.0.2.8 flashed the recovery but cant enter recovery mode, it just starts for 2 secs and then reboots normally. also the perm root doesnt work for me, it pushes the zip file on the phone but nothing more... any help would be nice

touney

Mar 17, 2013
Have to tried to flash the rom again?

1. boot into bootloader, flash the boot.img that comes with TD 6.0(open the rom with 7zip)
2. boot into recovery, wipe everything, flash rom
3. don´t reboot system, wipe cache only first
4. reboot

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

Unfortunately it didn't work, I still get the "No OS installed" and "Your device does not appear to be rooted" warnings when I boot after completing the steps. And it still gets stuck on the same startup screen.

I checked with Connectbot that my phone is, in fact, rooted. It is, so it seems that's not the problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Napoleon_PhoneApart

Jun 6, 2010
I'm a newbie at Android rooting and am trying to get my HTC One rooted. The bootloader is unlocked, but when I try to run the Perm Root command from the toolkit, I get this in the command line window:

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "echo 'boot-rec
overy ' > /cache/recovery/command"
/system/bin/sh: can't create /cache/recovery/command: Permission denied

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "echo '--update
_package=SDCARD:SuperSU.zip' >> /cache/recovery/command"
/system/bin/sh: can't create /cache/recovery/command: Permission denied

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>adb shell "reboot recover
y"
reboot: Operation not permitted

C:\Users\Kevin\Desktop\One_M7_All-In-One_Kit_v1.2\data>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Can anyone explain this to me? I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Post 1: How to unlock your bootloader, flash a recovery and root
    Post 2: How to flash a custom ROM and kernel (boot.img)
    Post 3: How to reverse everything and go back to stock
    Post 4: How to ADB Sideload a ROM

Alright. This is for everyone who wants to root their phone. I've seen MULTIPLE threads of the same question "Can I root my phone and How do I do it". So I hope I never have to see it again! In this tutorial, I use use my toolkit as the way to root. Doing it manually takes forever and that is why I made my toolkit.

Requirements:
    HTC One S (charged to at least 70%)
    Windows XP,Vista,7 (8 is not officially supported since I don't have the drivers)
    USB cable
    Ability to read and follow step-by-step
    Understanding that I am no way guaranteeing anything. If you screw up your phone, you probably didn't follow my steps and made a foolish mistake.

Let's begin.

Download my toolkit from here.

Link 1 and Link 2

Extract the FOLDER to your C: drive or to your desktop.

MAKE SURE YOUR DIRECTORY DOES NOT HAVE A PERIOD OR SPACE.

Open One S.exe

So now you have my program open. Great.

On your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.

From my toolkit, Click 1. Install HTC Drivers.

After the drivers install, restart your computer.

After your computer loads up, open my toolkit and connect your phone to the computer. Your phone should now be recognized.

Now, click 2. Register at HTCDev. Register with a VALID email address and LEAVE the web browser open.

Now, under the commands section of my toolkit, press Boot into Bootloader.

You should have a nice, white, shiny screen that says FASTBOOT USB.

Click 3. Get Token ID. Look at the pop up and it will tell you how to get the Token ID.

Highlight where it says < < < < Identifier Token Start > > > > all the way to < < < < < Identifier Token End > > > > > and right click and it will automatically copy it.

Now, click Submit Token ID. Your web browser should now open a new tab. Scroll down and in the empty box, paste your Token ID. Press submit. HTCDev now emailed you your unlock token.

Your phone should still be in the bootloader. Now, go to the email address you registered to HTCDev and DOWNLOAD your unlock_code.bin. Press 5. Unlock Bootloader. Locate your unlock_code.bin and it will flash it to your phone.

READ the warning. THIS WILL WIPE ALL YOUR DATA FROM THE PHONE.

When you agree to it, press the volume up button and press the power button to accept it. Your phone will now restart.

When your phone loads up, go through the set up wizard. Then, on your phone, go to Settings -> Developer Options and Enable USB Debugging.

Under the Extras section, press Perm Root. It will push SuperSU.zip to your phone.

Now, it is time to flash a recovery. The custom recovery is for 2 different devices

TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project) is a custom recovery that will allow you to flash custom ROMs, Mods, etc.

If your phone is the S3 model, then flash the one that says TWRP (S3)

If your phone is the S4 model, then flash the one that says TWRP (S4)

If your phone is the special edition 64Gb model, then flash the one that says TWRP (Special Edition)

After it flashes, remove the USB cable and have HBOOT selected in bootloader. Press the power button and it will reload to another screen. Press the Volume Down button until you get to Recovery. Press the power button to select it.

Go to Backup and back up your boot and system partition. Always have a back up before you flash or do anything.

After that, go to Install and locate SuperSU.zip. Click it and slide the screen on the bottom to flash it. After it flashes, reboot the phone.

In your app drawer (your menu with all the apps), open SuperSU. If it says the binary needs to be updated, then update it. If it doesn't, then you are fully rooted!
    Post 2: How to flash a custom ROM and kernel (boot.img)

The fun part! Now, I will teach you how to flash a ROM and boot.img

Find a ROM you like, the first thing you should do is make sure it is COMPATIBLE with your phone. If you find a ROM that is for AT&T and you have the International model, don't be an idiot and flash it. I will not help you with that since you already agreed to my warning from the first post.

S3 ROMs don't work on S4 models and vice versa.

Also, DO NOT ASK IF YOU CAN FLASH A ROM FROM ANOTHER DEVICE!

Will it work? NO! Will it ever work? NO! Can I flash it anyways? Brick your device, I don't care. I warned you.

Let's get back on task. So you found the ROM you want to try, so go ahead and download it. KEEP THE THREAD OPEN! MAKE SURE YOU READ EVERYTHING AND REREAD IT AGAIN! READ WHAT USERS SAID ABOUT IT AND ABOUT BUGS! GO AHEAD AND READ THE WHOLE ENTIRE THREAD! GAIN KNOWLEDGE!!

Connect your USB cable to your phone. View the folders on your phone. I like to make a folder called ROMs on my phone and transfer it in there.

After you transfer it, open my toolkit and press Boot into Recovery. When you are in TWRP, MAKE A BACKUP!!!

After you make a backup AKA a Nandroid, click Wipe. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, Factory Reset and System. NOTHING ELSE! If you click anything else, IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD CARD AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE ISSUES ON YOUR HEAD!

So you wiped everything. Great. Your phone is ROMless, Yay!

Now go back and press install. Go to the folder where the ROM you downloaded, is located in. Select the ROM and slide the screen to flash it. After it flashes, press the back button. Press Reboot and Reboot into bootloader. Open the ROM you downloaded from your computer. You should see boot.img. Extract it to your computer. Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

After it flashes, press reboot from the phone.

Congrats! Enjoy your fully working or borked ROM! Remember, DO NOT ASK FOR ETAs, DO NOT BUG/PM A DEV ABOUT UPDATES, and BE RESPECTFUL TO THE DEVELOPERS!
    4. How to use ADB Sideload

You may have seen what ADB Sideload around the forums but have no idea what it is. Since the HTC One S does not have an SD card, it makes things harder when you have to flash a ROM.

Here's a scenario when we need to use ADB Sideload.
    1. You accidentally wiped your internal SD and have no ROM on your phone
    2. You wiped your ROM and forgot to transfer a custom ROM/have no backups(Nandroid) available.
    3, You have none of the above and there is no available RUU for your phone. <----- This is a real bummer.

Here are the steps to load on a ROM
    I placed TWRP in my toolkit for a reason. CWM does not support ADB Sideload (as far as I know) and TWRP does.

Boot into recovery manually. Turn your device off and hold the VOLUME DOWN + POWER button together until the BOOTLOADER pops up. Press the VOLUME DOWN button until you have selected RECOVERY. Press the POWER button to get into RECOVERY.

Connect the USB Cable to your phone and computer.

In TWRP, click "Advanced" and select ADB Sideload.

Download a ROM to your computer (if you haven't already done so). Rename it as one word. For example CM10.zip, QX.zip, ARHD.zip, etc.

In my toolkit, under the extras section, press ADB Sideload a ROM. Press "Yes" when it asks you if you are in recovery. Then select the ROM you want to install. It will then sideload it to your phone and flash it.

After it finishes, press the back button. Press Reboot and select bootloader.

Pull the boot.img from the zip file and extract it.

Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

You now have a ROM on your phone!
    Post 3: How to reverse everything and go back to stock

Now, let's talk about getting back to stock. There are 2 ways to do this.

1. Flash the stock RUU (If available) (Recommended)
    2. Restore your Nandroid (backup that I told you to make earlier)

1. I'll talk about flashing the stock RUU first.

Open up my toolkit and press "Factory RUU" from the links sections. I usually have the most updated RUUs that Football releases on my Dev-Host account. Download the correct RUU for your phone.

Now, back up all your data (pictures, contacts, etc) since this will put your phone back to complete stock.

Connect the USB cable to your phone.

Press Relock bootloader. It may give you a security warning error or it may say failed. Who cares, ignore it. It's normal.

Your phone will boot up normally.

When the phone is fully loaded. Unplug and replug the USB cable back in the phone. Now,run the RUU you downloaded and follow the instructions.

Your phone will be back to stock.

2. Now, we will talk about restoring your nandroid backup.

Connect your phone to the computer. Open up the folder to view the files on your phone.

From your computer, Go to TWRP -> BACKUPS -> (Your hardware Serial Number) -> (Folder you wish to restore to) -> and copy boot.emmc.win to your computer. Rename boot..emmc.win to boot.img

Open my toolkit and press boot into recovery.

Click Wipe. Wipe Cache, Dalvik, Factory Reset and System. NOTHING ELSE! If you click anything else, IT WILL WIPE YOUR SD CARD AND YOU WILL HAVE MORE ISSUES ON YOUR HEAD!

Press back and press Restore. Choose the backup to restore to.

After it finishes, press the back button. Press Reboot and select bootloader.

Open my toolkit and press Flash a Kernel. Locate the boot.img and it will flash it.

You are now back to your stock Nandroid.
    Hi, go into bootloader and see if you got VLE (S4) or VILLEC2 (S3)