[Q] Stuck in recovery mode upgrading CM 10 to CM 11

Search This thread

Beartooth01

May 13, 2014
Collingswood
I was running CyanogenMod 10.1.x versions, using ROM Manager to upgrade as new ones were available. However, when I tried to upgrade to 10.2.1 it kept rebooting every several minutes, showing the new bootup screen with the rotating arrow. I tried upgrading to version 11...M9 also with ROM Manager and now it only comes up in recovery mode (CWM v6.0.3.1). There seems to be no way to finalize the installation. I can't sideload from the PC, since, although DeviceManager shows "Google Galaxy Nexus ADB Interface," I do not see any entries in Device Management or in the Explorer, so I can't offload a full backup, nor can I use adb to sideload the new CM. I can't instal from the internal sdcard, since it starts with "...Installing /sdcard/update.zip" and then can't find it - it comes up with the "(no such file or directory)."

Since (except for Device Manager) nothing on the PC recognizes a connection with the Nexus 10, I'm pretty much out of options. I can do a complete "wipe data/factory reset" I suppose, but would like something not so drastic (given no backup). When I look at CWM's display of mounted and unmounted storage, sdcard is unmounted and won't mount. I've even done a full wipe and factory reset, with the same results.

A brand-new install of the Samsung USB Drivers 1.5.33.0 through Skip's app now results in an error message when I reattach the tablet saying the driver install failed. I still show the device in Device Manager.

I have Skip's Universal Android Toolkit v1.0.2 and it seems to recognize that a Nexus 10 is connected, but can't do anything to it (it expects you are originally booted to Android, not recovery.

This is my first Samsung device, so I'm totally unfamiliar using Odin and haven't figured out how to use it to correct the problem.

It seems that, if I can sideload a copy of CM 11, I should be okay, but all roads look closed.

Any ideas?

I'm locked in a loop.

'

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Third post in this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2670400
Will give you instruction to fully restore, but will be worst case scenario, you will also find links to drivers that are confirmed working, may need to manually update them
So yes you are right you should want to use adb sideload to get the proper ROM on
And in the future try to not use ROM manager as issues like this happen all to often, rather just boot to recovery, wipe, flash
Your other option is an sdcard and otg cable to flash a ROM
Let me know if you get stuck, best of luck!

Reactions: Beartooth01

Beartooth01

May 13, 2014
Collingswood
Thanks - will keep trying.

Will give you instruction to fully restore, but will be worst case scenario, you will also find links to drivers that are confirmed working, may need to manually update them
So yes you are right you should want to use adb sideload to get the proper ROM on
And in the future try to not use ROM manager as issues like this happen all to often, rather just boot to recovery, wipe, flash

I downloaded the latest Android SDK with platform tools and put the cm zip file in the directory with adb.exe. On the tablet, in ClockworkmMod Recovery, I selected "install zip from sideload." The tablet went into sideload mode and instructed me to type "adb sideload <filename>. So I typed: "adb sideload cm-11-20140805-SNAPSHOT-M9-manta.zip" and hit the enter key. The PC reported 100% downloaded. The tablet listed:

Restarting adbd...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /tmp/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I'm at least communicating between the PC and tablet, but the update is still failing. Any hope of trying to flash standard ROM, re-root, and start again?

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
You need to update your recovery, grab the latest TWRP or CWM .img for manta and flash in via fastboot first, then boot to new recovery then flash ROM

Reactions: Beartooth01

Beartooth01

May 13, 2014
Collingswood
Thanks, I grovel at your feet!

Thanks for the help. I ended up downloading the newest Android SDK, installing the platform-tools, and flashing the 4.4.2 factory rom. Normally, this loses all of your data (though, through carelessness I hadn't disabled autosave to the Google Cloud, so all was restored). Now I have an unrooted tab with KitKat on it, but it won't take me long to root it again and this time, I'll flash custom ROMs manually, the way I do on my other devices. Once burned...

So thanks again for the help. It did the trick.

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Thanks for the help. I ended up downloading the newest Android SDK, installing the platform-tools, and flashing the 4.4.2 factory rom. Normally, this loses all of your data (though, through carelessness I hadn't disabled autosave to the Google Cloud, so all was restored). Now I have an unrooted tab with KitKat on it, but it won't take me long to root it again and this time, I'll flash custom ROMs manually, the way I do on my other devices. Once burned...

So thanks again for the help. It did the trick.

Great to see @demkantor help get you back up and running ..:D
@Beartooth01 Can you plz add "SOLVED" to the thread title

Thx Josh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to update your recovery, grab the latest TWRP or CWM .img for manta and flash in via fastboot first, then boot to new recovery then flash ROM