Does the Metal Case Reduce Signal Strength?

Search This thread

Blaze_au

May 22, 2004
Melbourne
:?:

I don't know if Telstra is having a bad week or if my metal case is reducing signal strength.

Does anyone else have a metal case for their XDAII and has noticed poor coverage?

Thanks..

ps. yeah I am normally with Optus, I'm using a work sim card while on call.

ph4824

May 30, 2004
This is an interesting question? I've just purchased my XDA II with some accessories including the metal case - with a Proporta.com label inside. Not sure if this is the one you are referring to but last night I went for a drive in my car. The XDA II was sat in a car holder back to front because the nob that connects to your belt gets in the way. Anyway, my wife called me 5x times whilst I was driving and the phone did not ring at all!

Having said that, I have just come across this forum, read your comments about this and done a test - testing signal strength before and after the case was fitted.

No case: signal strength 2/3
with case: signal strength 2/3

So I don't really know if the case is reducing the signal strength at all, but last night was wierd to say the least! Anymore comments about this would be appreciated.

skenliv

Mar 24, 2004
Sweden
www.skenliv.com
I was going to use My|Phone´s signal function, and then remotely connect to the XDA II and see what the signal is when the case is closed, and then compare it to when i have it taken out of the case.

Blaze_au

May 22, 2004
Melbourne
I used My|Phone for a bit, and there was a difference between out of the case, in the case and with flap open, and in the case with the flap closed.

Strangely the signal strength was all over the farm, but on the whole i would ahve to say it appeared to be lower in the case.

I love the security the metal case gives me, but I hate how i always have to open the flap to see what is happening with my call etc.

I'm going to look at getting a clear hard plastic case when they are available locally.

ph4824

May 30, 2004
How have you all found using the leather case that comes with the XDAII ? I used mine for a day or so but liked the look of the metal one more. My only concern with the leather case was the locking clip, it looked like it could snap off easily?

MartinHSabag

Feb 4, 2004
Dublin
Yes it does reduce the reception.
I have the proporta aluminium case and it does, but not too much.
Unless you are in a really bad reception area, it shouldn't effect you.

Before I bought it (ebay) I made sure with the seller that if it was going to effect my reception bad enough to miss calls or something I would get my money back.
I'm happy with it.

wouterk

Dec 14, 2003
Yes the case reduces the reception a bit. But not that much. I have "the other" metal case. Not the one from Proporta but I can't remember who made it.... :oops:
Don't forget that reception will sometimes change depending from the place were you are. There are several places on the road were reception is bad and sometimes I can be sitting at one place and have good reception and suddenly it is almost gone :( . This is the providers fault :evil:
Wouter

Reactions: vasilisf7

ph4824

May 30, 2004
Well I went for a drive in the car today and my wife who was sat next to me rang my phone - Virgin to O2 network. I had the music on and the ring tone I set was too quiet. She rang the phone again, whilst the phone was in the metal case, and sometimes the phone would ring and other times not within a space of a few minutes or so. Upon taking the XDA out of the metal case and putting it back in the phone holder there was no problems!

It's a real shame as I like the case. I am considering taking it back now and using my leather case instead Plus, I can see the metal case getting marked very easily!

Frank2

Jan 1, 2004
I have made more than 40 tests with and without the metal case at several places.
I am using phonedashboard to show the signal level in %.
The metal case is ALWAYS reducing the signal level 15 to 30 digits.
In example I have placed my xda on a table without metal case and the signal level is 80%. Than I have placed the xda again with the metal case on the same place (i have marked the place) and the signal level ist 65 %.
I have made this procedure again and again to get enough data to compare.

Now I have a vaja case and no signal problems any more.

Frank

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
where do you say that antenna is placed ?
i mean you could think that it's where it was on xda1 but
from this i cant say for sure
http://wiki.xda-developers.com/wiki/HimalayaHardwareOverview

not sure if you are talking about the external antenna connector but that would not help unless you connected an antenna to it
the antenna is inside the xda2 and is as long as the device
to 100% free it you would have to cut the case in 1/2

skenliv

Mar 24, 2004
Sweden
www.skenliv.com
Now i recieved my Aluminium Case for the XDA II. Looks nice, but its very much more bulky than i thought. And the beltclip is a big JOKE, it hangs loose and bad! And besides, there is a belt clip included with the Proporta Alu Case. Just incase you are going to place an order...

Umm, im not shure if i am gonna be satisfied with it, dont quite like it.

mikeaus

May 9, 2004
One disadvantage of having an internal Phone antenna is that it is easily blocked. The aerial is inside the black plastic at the top.

If you put it in a pocket then it is important that you place it with the screen towards your body so the aerial is unobstructed for receiving calls.

When holding it during calls,it is important not to let your fingers cover the aerila if you are in a weak signal area.

Mike
Sydney Australia

mikeaus

May 9, 2004
One disadvantage of having an internal Phone antenna is that it is easily blocked. The aerial is inside the black plastic at the top.

If you put it in a pocket then it is important that you place it with the screen towards your body so the aerial is unobstructed for receiving calls.

When holding it during calls,it is important not to let your fingers cover the aerila if you are in a weak signal area.

Mike
Sydney Australia

Rudegar

Retired Moderator
Jul 16, 2003
DK
well the antenna are never fully external
like on the xda1 only some of the antenna is external
it would most likely be internal aswell
for better reception

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes the case reduces the reception a bit. But not that much. I have "the other" metal case. Not the one from Proporta but I can't remember who made it.... :oops:
    Don't forget that reception will sometimes change depending from the place were you are. There are several places on the road were reception is bad and sometimes I can be sitting at one place and have good reception and suddenly it is almost gone :( . This is the providers fault :evil:
    Wouter