[TUTORIAL] Replace Windows Mobile with Android NAND ROMs

Search This thread

mahmoodifar

Nov 27, 2010
Don't know really where to put this question, but since this thread is about NAND and originally Alex's concept I ask here. Currently I've been using the current available builds and think they are very good. I'm just throwing out a question here :)

Would there be any benefit in reviving e.g. Alex's old Froyo SD-build (the one with the Arc-theme)?
I converted it into a NAND-build, booted it and tested it shortly with zargloubs kernel from March 1st. But since I don't have skills enough I'm just gonna link to the rom. Feel free to do whatever you like with it. It's just my comparacy to see how well Froyo runs vis-a-vis Gingerbread on our Kovskys' :)

- Screen is mirrored and up-side-down
- data doesn't seem to work
- "Shut Down" doesn't work
- Camera works (but didn't test it with SD-card....)

Edit. Forgot to mention Did NOT reboot on missed call.

Alex's Froyo Arc 2.2.2 NAND

frx07_wifi_35_kovs_Xperia_Arc_theme.tar

It has a lot of problem
freeze a lot
wifi doesn't work
SDcard too
and other thing that you mentioned before
but it's extremely fast specially in boot

could you post the link of source
thank you

Pete Rask

Dec 10, 2009
@mahmoodifar and everyone else

Forgot to mention it in my post that it's NOT INTENDED for daily use :eek:

Sources are in my post or do you have something else in mind?

ramhead

Feb 21, 2011
Thank you now I have android on my x1. :)

Is it possible get scandinavian keyboard buttons äåö working?

calacon

Aug 16, 2010
when i power off and i attach the usb wall charger, screen flash 2/3 times like was doing in android.

I tried the rom and now I have this problem too... the screen flashes when I plug in the power with the phone off, and also when I press the power button to turn it on. Even flashing the stock rom doesn't change anything.

Since I used pdocread to back up the phone's original rom before I did anything, is it possible to use pdocwrite to write it back, or would that not do what I think it would? Is there a way to reverse what the LK bootloader (?) changed?

Hardly the worst problem in the world though :p

kerfooly

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
www.facebook.com
I tried the rom and now I have this problem too... the screen flashes when I plug in the power with the phone off, and also when I press the power button to turn it on. Even flashing the stock rom doesn't change anything.

Since I used pdocread to back up the phone's original rom before I did anything, is it possible to use pdocwrite to write it back, or would that not do what I think it would? Is there a way to reverse what the LK bootloader (?) changed?

Hardly the worst problem in the world though :p

Do a Task29 it will format your ROM section, then install the Windows Mobile ROMs your problem will be solved

calacon

Aug 16, 2010
Ah, I should have said... thanks kerfooly but I did do a task 29 and then installed WM again and it didn't change anything either! It's weird, it's like there's one part that task 29 or installing a rom doesn't touch and that one part has somehow got changed...

Kdio

Nov 12, 2009
Campos dos Goytacazes
Wi-fi & USB

Hi Guys

1st of all, thank u kerfooly for the great job. Followed ur guidance and installed my 1st droid (IceDroid V7) perfectly. It's fast and stable but (there is always some but) ...

a) All Wi-fi connecting signals are "poor" and the phone never connects.

Tried connecting to a router with no security at all (just MAC filtering) wich antenna is right beside the device and signals keeps poor and dont connect.

Tried an ad-hoc wireless connection with W7 (notebook and PDA are side by side) giving poor signal and never connects.

I was using radio 1.17.25.09 ... downgraded to 1.16.25.48 and 1.14.25.55 from here but no changes at all.

Any advices ?

b) USB Connection

When plugged to USB, the phone starts recharging (as expected) but the device does not appear at Devices Manager. Not even the plugged notification appears on the X1.

Going into Settings > Applications > Development and turning USB Debugging ON, an "Android USB Device > My HTC" (drivers OK) and "Others Devices > CDC Serial" (drivers not found) entries appears on Devices Manager. A new disk drive is found and, when SD card is inserted, the files are available on Windows.

Then, I've tried installing HTC Sync but the software does not identifies any devices. (Note: before installing it, the device recognized by Windows was "HTC Desire")

When I try "USB Tethering" sometimes it gives me "USB not connected" (wich is) or a message that it's in data mode and can't perform tethering.

Any sugestions ?

Best regards.

SPyxOff

Dec 19, 2008
Slovakia
Hi Guys

1st of all, thank u kerfooly for the great job. Followed ur guidance and installed my 1st droid (IceDroid V7) perfectly. It's fast and stable but (there is always some but) ...

a) All Wi-fi connecting signals are "poor" and the phone never connects.

Tried connecting to a router with no security at all (just MAC filtering) wich antenna is right beside the device and signals keeps poor and dont connect.

Tried an ad-hoc wireless connection with W7 (notebook and PDA are side by side) giving poor signal and never connects.

I was using radio 1.17.25.09 ... downgraded to 1.16.25.48 and 1.14.25.55 from here but no changes at all.

Any advices ?

b) USB Connection

When plugged to USB, the phone starts recharging (as expected) but the device does not appear at Devices Manager. Not even the plugged notification appears on the X1.

Going into Settings > Applications > Development and turning USB Debugging ON, an "Android USB Device > My HTC" (drivers OK) and "Others Devices > CDC Serial" (drivers not found) entries appears on Devices Manager. A new disk drive is found and, when SD card is inserted, the files are available on Windows.

Then, I've tried installing HTC Sync but the software does not identifies any devices. (Note: before installing it, the device recognized by Windows was "HTC Desire")

When I try "USB Tethering" sometimes it gives me "USB not connected" (wich is) or a message that it's in data mode and can't perform tethering.

Any sugestions ?

Best regards.

Dude, that all is kernel/developer problem. Wait till someone make a kernel with no issues. Fergy is working on it so wait and than will everything going ok.

Jul 23, 2010
Hi!

I like to switch back to WinMobile, caus the fastboot is not working. I cant copy the boot.img on the phone. I put a WiMo-Rom (nbh) on a SD and put it in the Phone. Booted into hardspl and... the image was not recognized. WHat do i do wrong???

nawf29

Sep 9, 2009
Hi guys!
am new to this site and to the idea of upgrading the software (android:cool:)!

had my X1 for 3 years,
following all the perfect instructions.

but am stuck at how to install the kernal (Xperoid Kernel and Recovery installer)
the recovery.bat does not work ...:eek: or someone can tell me how to?

Or could @kerfooly or anyone put a link for xperiod fastboot (as you did in the video)
been googling for hours all links are dead!

Thank you guys great job

nawf29

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks ratom!
Its still not working!
might be i got something wrong!
its making wierd Beep sounds (3s)
C:/Documents and settings/... is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

:(

Elibl

Dec 20, 2011
Thanks ratom!
Its still not working!
might be i got something wrong!
its making wierd Beep sounds (3s)
C:/Documents and settings/... is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

:(

try this with replacing every boot with recovery.

if it still doesn't work report the exact errors...

Reactions: nawf29

nawf29

Sep 9, 2009
Thanks Elibl!
got the cmd running C:/Users/.../Xperiod Fastboot>fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot'<3128kb>... OKAY [ 0.841s]
writing 'boot'... OKAY [1.051s]
finished. total time: 1.839s
C:/Users/.../Xperiod Fastboot>fastboot reboot
rebooting...
finished. total tiome: 0.115s

Now the phone restarts by itself

the phone reboots some programming greyish line then Linux kicks in white lines.
white lines continues few seconds till Android paragraph then its a lot of cannot find
e.g [ 6.8121331] init: cannot find '/system/bin/sh',disabbling'console'

i removed battery according to the video, turned on the phone and pressed the camera button. But i did not get recovery??? instead it ask me for Entering fastboot mode?

nawf29

Sep 9, 2009
thanks Elibl!
it did work!
X1 Doird! :D
jus saw SG3 on some over threads!
i'll be saving up 4 zat beast!
And am sure you guys will be cooking some nice roms!
XDA fan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    About
    This thread contains all the Android NAND development that is going on in different websites like Github.com

The developers are not responsible for any damages happened to your phone in any way so be aware of what you are doing

Note that the development is still in "Beta" state and it has few issues which are still under development, the Android NAND ROMs are almost ready for day to day use

you can always switch back to any windows mobile ROM by flashing the official or a custom windows mobile ROM just like when you had windows mobile using any Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 ROM Update utility or the SD Card (KOVSIMG.nbh) method, as the SPL or windows mobile's bootloader will not be effected

there will be few random screen flashes when the device start even when you shift back to windows mobile but this does not effect the performance of the device in anyway

Your SD Card Android ROMs are not going to be effected but you wont be able to run them unless you re-install Windows Mobile again

below is the list of whats working and not working so far

Working

• Phone
    • SMS
    • Speaker
    • LEDs
    • Bluetooth (beta)
    • Headphone
    • Media Playback
    • Touch Pad
    • Data connection (GPRS/3G)
    • Main Camera (Beta)
    • Hardware acceleration (3D/OpenGL ES) (beta)
    • USB (beta)
    • Screen (beta)
    • Keyboard/Keypad
    • WiFi (Beta)
    • Battery Meter (beta)
    • Battery Charging
    • Battery Life (beta)
    • Camera Flash LED
    • GPS (beta)

Not working

• Light Sensor (Under development)
    • FM Radio
    • Hardware Acceleration bugs
      Flash Player support, YouTube HQ Mode support
    • Front Camera
    • Main Camera bugs (under development)
      focus function
    • WiFi bugs (under development)
      WEP connection support
    • GPS bugs (under development)
    • Bluetooth bugs (under development)
      once turned on, causes rapid battery drain and cant be turned off unless user restart the device
    • USB bugs
    • Battery Life (beta)
      still not same as Windows mobile
    • Screen auto rotation bug
      rotates to landscape every time user turns the screen off and on
    • Battery Meter (beta)
      inaccurate after certain percentage of battery

Downloads
    below is the list of Files which are required

• HSPL 0.78 (optional)
      Download it from here if you haven't install a Custom ROM before or you are on initial HSPL 0.72

• A ROM update utility (optional)
      Kovsky Advance ROM update utility is recommended as Its easier to work with, but the official RUU and SD Card method will do the same

• Latest Android bootloader
      Download the latest bootloader available here

• Android Driver and Fastboot
      Xperoid installer is recommended as it contains the necessary files of Android SDK only and can do the job automatically,

• Latest Android Recovery
      Download the latest recovery available here

• Latest Android Kernel
      Download the latest Kernel available here

• An Android ROM
      choose and download your favorite Android ROM from here or here

Video

Here is the video of how to install any NAND ROM, lots of steps have changed but the main procedure is the same

PART 1
    PART 2

1.HSPL

If you have already installed a custom Windows Mobile ROM and have the 0.78 version skip this part, to know about your SPL version turn off your phone, hold Volume down button and while holding hold the power button till you see the Tri colour screen which is the SPL; If you have Olinex name on any line, you have HSPL,

SPL is like your devices BIOS, and Hard SPL will unlock your devices bootloader to allow you to install any custom made Read only memory (ROM)

to do a HSPL refer to THIS thread

(if you had a problem in performing a HSPL, read the replies at the end of the above thread as there were some users not being able to HSPL the normal way and had to do few other steps)

2.Android BootLoader

Put the .zip ROM you have downloaded in the root of your SD Card before you do anything further; which means put the .Zip file in E:\ROM.zip if your SD Card drive letter is E

HTC Linux LK bootloader allows the device to run the kernel directly after it got turned on

Install it just like the way you install any other Windows Mobile ROM, which is using a RUU or the SD Card method

It is always recommended to do a Task29 before you flash an Android Bootloader if you know how to.

(Kovsky Advance RUU)

3.Kernel
    Kernels are like drivers in PC, it connects and manage the hardware of the device
    they have to be installed using Fastboot. Fastboot is a command line tool used to directly flash the filesystem in Android devices from a host via USB.

>For Windows users

• Extract Xperoid Installer
    • Rename the Kernel you have downloaded to boot.img, then place it in the Xperoid fastboot folder
    • Rename the recovery you have downloaded to recovery.img, then place it in the Xperoid fastboot folder
    • connect your phone and install the drivers from Android USB driver folder
    • then simply run Xperoid Fastboot installer.bat from the Xperoid fastboot folder

>For Linux based OS users

follow the instruction on This page

zr0xi.png

5.Recovery

ClockWorkMod Recovery is like the BIOS in PCs, which is the software that can install and manage the device's software

image28.png

To go into recovery turn on your device and as soon as the phone starts (Sony Ericsson logo stage) hold the Camera Focus button which is holding the Camera button half pressed till recovery starts, (it might take few seconds to load)
    once you are in recovery use the touch pad to go up and down, power button to go back and middle button to select trough the menu,

1. Go to mounts and storage> Format Data
    2. Go to mounts and storage> Format Cache
    3. Go to mounts and storage> Format dalvik cache
    4. go back to main menu
    5. Go to install zip from SDcard
    6. select the file and install it
    7. after installation select restart system now
    8. Remove the SD Card and the battery, put the battery in, turn on the phone and wait till it completely start up
    9. Re enter recovery with SD Card inserted and install the GAPPS
    10. Load the system without SD Card and sync it with your accounts and open all the apps once and then restart again and once you are in android again insert your SD Card

If you are updating your ROM from an earlier version of NAND Android ROM

1. Download the full wipe script and put it in the root of SD Card
    2. Go to backup and restore
    3. select Backup
    4. go back to main menu
    5. Go to install zip from SDcard
    6. select the full wipe script.zip and install it
    7. go to main menu
    8. Go to install zip from SDcard
    9. select your new ROM and install it
    10. go back to main menu
    11. go to backup and restore
    12. go to Advanced restore
    13. select Restore data
    14. go back to main menu
    15. select restart system now

Recommendations:

Booting with SD Card inserted:
    • As you might have notice in the guide, the Kernels have a major bug of not being able to boot the ROM with a normally formatted SD Card inside the device. so we have to format the SD card in a special way to bypass this problem

To do so follow this guide

• You have to perform these recommended actions for better performance

Back to Windows Mobile:

In order to switch back to any windows mobile ROM, enter the Windows mobile bootloader (SPL) by turning the device on while holding Power and Volume down buttons together, and once you entered SPL simply flash the ROM as you did earlier
    It is always recommended again to do a Task29 before and a Hard reset after you installed a Windows Mobile ROM

report back your issues and problems for faster and better ROMs in future.

Special thanks goes to:
    SP3DEV
    Sun Dream
    XDAndroid team
    Neopeek
    Ady
    zargloub
    Jerrytan
    BrickPSP
    Elibl
    Im not asking for donation but press the thanks button , Please Vote for this thread too
    Hi, very good guide... but

What features are working/not working on the NAND build?

updated :)
    It would be awesome if someone could modify the bootloader so that it can start up without having to remove the microSD card.

Is there any particular reason why this has not been implemented?

The reason is that it "works for me". My phone boots regardless of microSD being inserted or not. If anyone wants, go ahead and try to figure out what causes problems. If you want to compile .NBH from lk, use my tinboot-for-lk project at gitorious, there's an old branch which contains scripts for building images for X1
    I'm back into the game boys!!!! Look at my sig!!!

Regards!!!
    I don't use my X1 as a phone anymore, so I use it as a remote for my pc.
    I've had very few issues when trying this rom, no reboots, no keys freeze, etc.
    But battery charging (& usage) is a big issue for me, I couldn't get it to charge past 34% after flashing, but I didn't really try either.
    Nonetheless thanks to all involved for bringing it this far already!
    I really hope the last bugs get worked out (I should really learn to program and help you guys..).