Full Ubuntu Mod for WebTop

Search This thread

tomgiboney

Oct 30, 2011
Is there a way to use webtop2sd AND the swap space hack?

I think I have the webtop2sd piece working correctly, but I still get low memory available errors when only running a single tab in Firefox.

Full Ubuntu someday would be nice, but for now I would just like to have the ability to have a stable and reliable browser. I am not much of a Linux guru and don't need to run native apps (at least right now). Should I just undo the webtop2sd app and go back and follow the directions to enable the swap space hack?

Thanks, any experienced advice would be appreciated.

-Rob

First off, I don't know how qualified I really am at answering any questions... but as a computer technician I think I can field this :)

How many apps do you have on your phone? How many are running in the background eating away at your memory (RAM)? You can use Task Killer to find out and to also kill most unnecessary background running apps. THEN launch webtop. I personally don't have much at all going on on my phone... just a handful of apps and lots of them frozen (bloat). So, my RAM usage is minimal. I should also point out I have never once seen a memory low error in webtop. :)

To get the swap working you must follow the swap guide to the letter... with Script Manager and downloading the file and placing it somewhere on your sdcard-ext ... And to answer your question, yes, webtop2sd and swap partition are working fluidly together for me. This means I have 3 partitions on my sdcard-ext ... one which is fat32 I believe, for well, storage... second is ext3 for the webtop... third is 'swap' ... you must use a format utility which can format a partition as swap such as the one suggested in the webtop2sd guide. But I also could recommend the free utility MiniTool Partition Home Edition... it's a great free one, the one I used for all my partition stuff on my Bionic.

So, if you didn't do all this: Got the UUID of the swap partition, put it in the UUID line in your fstab file, installed script manager on your phone, downloaded the script provided, and set it to run as root and run as boot... then you won't get any results.

Pale_Flyer

Jan 15, 2011
late to the party

I just rooted my bionic and installed a custom rom image of ICS, which is mostly stable, but when i did this, i forgot to back up WebTop, and so my /osh partition(?) is empty. can i just drop these files into the osh partition? or do i have to load "blurTop" on first? i have been looking for this thread since i dropped the $300 on the LapDock.

willbur73

May 9, 2011
Queen Creek
I just rooted my bionic and installed a custom rom image of ICS, which is mostly stable, but when i did this, i forgot to back up WebTop, and so my /osh partition(?) is empty. can i just drop these files into the osh partition? or do i have to load "blurTop" on first? i have been looking for this thread since i dropped the $300 on the LapDock.

The only way to have working HDMI/webtop at all is to forget ICS and go back to GB. Until MOTO/VZW release an update with an ICS kernel we cannot have the HDMI.

SO if you need HDMI, no ICS for you!

jmath679

Jun 23, 2010
I hate that moto is dragging their feet on the ics update. It is annoying that all of the Android phone manufacturers are racing to put out newer more bleeding edge phones instead of properly supporting the phones they have already made. We should not have to pick and choose what works in which rom to get the experience we want from our phones. They should provide at least as much support as the community but I know that will never happen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was googling WebTop hacks for the Bionic to see if any came up but it did show ones on the Atrix that were pretty frickin awesome if we could get this up and running on our phones

WebTop2sd 1.1.0

Imagine running a full version of Ubuntu instead of the lite version that is preloaded in the WebTop OS. Finally we could run XBMC or OpenOffice through the power of our phones :)