Android 4.3/4.4

Search This thread

gerhardo

Aug 23, 2013
Moto X4
Sony Xperia 5 II
Any information on an Android upgrade?
My primary interest is getting BlueTooth Smart (BTLE/BLE/4.0) working.
I just found that 4.3 has some limitations (max 4 notifications, supposedly 7 in 4.4), so 4.4 may be what is needed. (I am playing with a TI SensorTag that has 7 sensors and I want to use them all.)

Omate said during KS that 4.3 dev was to be started "soon after KS, when 4.2 was ready". I do not consider Mediatek/Umeox/Omate being ready with 4.2 though, there are a lot of missing pieces.
Kurt Huwig indicated a couple of weeks ago on G+ that a 4.3 upgrade was to be available "soon". (Needed for increased BT stability?)
Laurent Le Pen said on G+ that 4.4 was to be ready in March, but I believe he meant that MediaTek was to be ready then. Omate answered on Facebook that Android 4.4 was to be released in August(required to support iOS companion they said).

Loki mentioned that there are work ongoing with CM and OmniRom, but without kernel sources, the work is hard and not rewarding. I would say this is the "easy"* solution otherwise, there are a number of other MT6572 phones that could share the work. LePen has endorsed CM several times, which may not be a contributor, but it is at least not working against the cause.
There has supposedly been some discussions between LePen an Mediatek (involving Daniel Ortiz) in the beginning of March.

* It is not easy to port to CM in a complete way even if you "boot in a day", but CM devs and kangers seem to succeed better on their spare time than many phone manufacturers. I have 4.4 on my 3.5 year old ZTE Blade, with ARMv6 and 512MB. That setup has not been supported by even Google and even less by Qualcom, since 4.0, yet it is working OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenjaminM

BenjaminM

Mar 17, 2008
Hong Kong
Same here. I'm waiting for the 4.3/4.4 to get BlueTooth Smart (BTLE/BLE/4.0) working.
I'm a runner and would use my TS for tracking my runs, that is GPS+BLTE Heart Rate Monitor+BT Headphones.
Lets cross fingers for this will not take so long and will be delivered...

porzerwolle

May 9, 2009
Cologne
Same here. I'm waiting for the 4.3/4.4 to get BlueTooth Smart (BTLE/BLE/4.0) working.
I'm a runner and would use my TS for tracking my runs, that is GPS+BLTE Heart Rate Monitor+BT Headphones.

I m in good hope , too. Need a stable bt function cause want to have a companion mode for my phone. still, none of them are working...

rhineymac

Jan 20, 2014
BT stack issues are being fixed now at omate. Two to four weeks and there releasing an update for companion mode to resolve the issue.

BenjaminM

Mar 17, 2008
Hong Kong
Anyone has any info/update on the 4.4 release? I'm eagerly waiting for it for the BTLE support and connect my Heart Rate Monitor.

wildcatbn

Jan 15, 2007
Sorry but I think there will be no support from Omate or Mediatek. We have a Chinese watch with no support just like all the rest. They will use our money to party and then move on to the next crap thing they will try to sell. I really wish Kick starter would start to punish some of these guys.

rewagner

Jan 24, 2011
New HRM requires 4.3...soon I hope

Just bought a Mio Link HRM Wristband it needs 4.3 so work....sigh. Trying to decided to hang on to it until 4.3 does come out or just take it back?

gerhardo

Aug 23, 2013
Moto X4
Sony Xperia 5 II
Just bought a Mio Link HRM Wristband it needs 4.3 so work....sigh. Trying to decided to hang on to it until 4.3 does come out or just take it back?

kuronosan has hinted on Google+ that he has something withKitKat so there is still hope.
The track record for Omate and ROM is not great, but MediaTek is likely doing a better initial job now, but I would not trust that we get a well working KitKat...

jamesarm97

Mar 4, 2014
Same here. I gave my Pebble to my son when I got this watch. I now really miss my Pebble since all I really want is notifications over bluetooth. I really hope we will get a new firmware update some day to enable that.

crazedmaniac

Apr 22, 2008
Android 4.4.2?

Any chance this is legit?

Claims to be an 4.4.2 which would be new enough to support bluetooth properly, and run Android Wear.

w ww.needrom.com/download/true-smart-4-0/

Anyone braver than I am and willing to try it?

(I'm guessing it's not that easy, but I'd so like to be able to do something useful with my watch!).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm all the support you have.
    Just wondering if anyone had some news on the Android 4.4 for the TS? So far, I wasn't convinced by an alternative Smartwatch running 4.4 (Ironman Unova, ZGPAX S8, etc.), .
    Ideally, the best would be to have a ROM update for the TS.
    Hope someone has some good news.
    Thanks.
    It's being worked on. The issue is that the source mtk compiled for new KK devices isn't compatible with the LCM on the ts. The bootloader is fine but the kernel needs work.

Currently I'm working on a port but without KK I'm not so sure it'll boot.
    Callisto 100 Flash Android 4.4 from Zgpax S8 Rom

How did you do it?

Did you flash Callisto 100 bootloader with all other components from the S8 ROM, or flash the whole S8 ROM?

Instructions - Follow these steps:

1. Extract the folder "zgpax s8 new firmware.rar"
    2. Delete the following files:
    - lk.bin
    - MT6572_Android_scatter.txt
    - preloader_s8.bin
    3. replace these files with those of your stock rom
    4. flash with SP Flash Tool - mode Firmware Upgrade
    The watch still won't turn on after being on charge all night. Any ideas? .

Reflash your full stock rom or alternative full stock rom

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

If I understand correctly, it is now possible to run KK 4.4 on the Omate Truesmart?
    This is awesome news to start the Year!
    Is anyone going to to a step by step guide with relevant tools and links?
    Can someone post a video?

for now the only guide is this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57878118&postcount=32

and this: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57882895&postcount=34

you can use the stock firmware zgpax s8 or Unova Ironman

the sensors will not work on this we have to work ......

As always, all at your own risk.
    The sad thing is the source is a mess all around. I don't build kernels but the build of KitKat I have does power on (meaning the bootloader is the correct one) but does not get past the logo (meaning the kernel is not the correct one).

If all they do (or someone else) is build KK-compatible kernel for api 19, I have a KK ROM ready to go.