Nexus 4 WiFi Problem

Search This thread

Timzter

Sep 18, 2009
I rooted and flashed my phone last night and everything was fine other than 1 thing. The Wi-Fi wouldn't connect on my home router. I tried several different roms and was left with the same problem where it was stuck on either obtaining ip address or authenticating. I then came into work this morning and the phone connected to my Wi-Fi network straight away.
Does anyone know how I can get around this problem, don't want to be using up all my data at home!

Thanks in advance

batano

Dec 7, 2011
Dont get me wrong but did you try to restart the Router?

Sent from my HTC using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

desynch-

Apr 1, 2012
Davis, CA
I rooted and flashed my phone last night and everything was fine other than 1 thing. The Wi-Fi wouldn't connect on my home router. I tried several different roms and was left with the same problem where it was stuck on either obtaining ip address or authenticating. I then came into work this morning and the phone connected to my Wi-Fi network straight away.
Does anyone know how I can get around this problem, don't want to be using up all my data at home!

Thanks in advance

I second the other suggestion. Those symptoms sound like your router needs a restart if it hangs at getting IP/authenticating.

armstrom

Mar 30, 2006
I'm having problems with my wifi as well. We have a network here at my office secured with WEP. My galaxy nexus connects to it just fine but my Nexus 4 refuses. It sees the network, show strong signal but it doesn't seem to connect. I did manage to get it to connect once and I downloaded some updates but then the connection dropped and will not reconnect. I've tried various advanced settings (forcing the network to 2.4GHz, changing the power options, etc... No joy. This is particularly frustrating for me as my micro sim has not yet arrived so WiFi is all I have :( Hopefully it will work at home. At least there I have access to the router so I can make changes if needed. So far not a fan though.

Tonk99

Dec 6, 2012
OnePlus 5
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
I've got WiFi problems here, too. Roaming between different WiFi networks (home and university) often results in an non functional WiFi connection. Experienced this problem with stock Android 4.2 on Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus and latest CM 10.1 nightly on Nexus 4. Even reboot doesn't help every time.

As workaround: If WiFi connection is broken, turn on "flight mode", wait a few seconds and turn it off again. Works for me, maybe it works for your problems too.

dyslexicpenguin

Nov 13, 2012
I literally just received my nexus 4, and I haven't done anything with the SIM card yet, I just wanted to get things going on WiFi to start. It sees the network I want, let's me type in the password, and lets me click connect. After that it does literally nothing. No thinking, no obtaining IP address, nothing. Any ideas?

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
I literally just received my nexus 4, and I haven't done anything with the SIM card yet, I just wanted to get things going on WiFi to start. It sees the network I want, let's me type in the password, and lets me click connect. After that it does literally nothing. No thinking, no obtaining IP address, nothing. Any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem. Got the phone today and have tried several different access points - no luck. Restart the phone, no change.

Also, system updates screen said I could only download the update to 4.2 from a wifi connection till the 7th, so i set the date to the 7th and did the update successfully over the cell connection. Still no WiFi. Factory reset - no change.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Oh, also tried the flight mode "trick" with no success.

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
Here is my log. It appears the authentication is timing out.

12-07 10:42:43.863: I/wpa_supplicant(19563): wlan0: Authentication with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx timed out.
12-07 10:42:45.345: I/wpa_supplicant(19563): wlan0: Trying to associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (SSID='XXXXX' freq=2447 MHz)
12-07 10:42:45.385: I/wpa_supplicant(19563): wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx status_code=1
12-07 10:42:55.346: I/wpa_supplicant(19563): wlan0: Authentication with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx timed out.

All other devices do connect fine and I even restarted the AP to make sure.

armstrom

Mar 30, 2006
This is getting very frustrating. I couldn't connect to wifi at work (WEP, I know...) at all yesterday. I went home, and my WPA2 network at home worked perfectly. I come in this morning and boom, I'm connected just fine to the wifi here at work (the connection was remembered from my tries yesterday). I went to lunch, came back, no wifi. Reboots, reconnections, nothing seems to work. I also have a Galaxy Nexus with 4.2.1 and it connects to the wifi just fine. Grumble grumble....
-Matt

ecsk

Jul 13, 2012
It's also broken on my campus. Do you have any suggestions to bypass this?

No solution with stock google image AFAIK, because google does not provide 4.1.2 image for Nexus 4. You can try other custom ROM or ask if some one has successful LEAP wifi story about running custom ROM.

BTW I don't own Nexus 4, I am stilling using Galaxy Nexus, as soon as I upgraded to 4.2 LEAP wifi broke, I flash 4.1.2 back then it works fine.

Last edited:

extremewing

Jan 23, 2010
Salt Lake
I found that upgrading the access point (MikroTik) to the latest version allows me to connect.

Seems something in this device does not like some older WPA2 versions?

Reactions: ZippCen

murse

Dec 20, 2008
I found that upgrading the access point (MikroTik) to the latest version allows me to connect.

My N4 has been connecting fine to my home router over the past two days. Suddenly, today, it stopped recognizing the network (shown as "not in range" in wifi settings). No amount of router or phone reboots would get it to connect. I read in another forum about going to Displays in the settings menu, scroll to bottom - Wireless Displays. Turn on and search for wireless displays, then turn off. I thought, wtf? Anyway, I tried this and it connected to wifi immediately. Maybe there's a bug in the wireless display function that's interfering with wifi.

Atrag

Nov 19, 2012
I am actually having a similar issue as others here, but I have found another weird work-around. Basically, although the Nexus 4 see's my campus's network, no packets get transfered back and forth, and I am not even sure what is going on (The IP address, tho, is usually "unknown".) However, upon going to the campus's IT help today, they turned off mobile data, and it then seemed to connect fine over Wifi. Any idea what is going on here?

There is no "signing in" to the network at my university, it just connects and verifies your device's MAC address, so I don't think they are doing any fancy authentication. I was thinking about maybe flashing a different ROM and seeing if I get different results.

mrcanant

Nov 22, 2012
I am actually having a similar issue as others here, but I have found another weird work-around. Basically, although the Nexus 4 see's my campus's network, no packets get transfered back and forth, and I am not even sure what is going on (The IP address, tho, is usually "unknown".) However, upon going to the campus's IT help today, they turned off mobile data, and it then seemed to connect fine over Wifi. Any idea what is going on here?

There is no "signing in" to the network at my university, it just connects and verifies your device's MAC address, so I don't think they are doing any fancy authentication. I was thinking about maybe flashing a different ROM and seeing if I get different results.

I get exactly the same issue in my office. I can connect to school open network, but after a few minutes it lost connection (while still showing connected). I got to wifi setting, it shows that there is only one wifi hotspot and i am connected to it. But actually there should be more than five hotspot! If i switch wifi off and back on it can detect all the networks and get connected again, but then it goes to the weird cycle over and over.

Strangely, if i stayed in another office, it is connected all the time. Seems like the signal problem in my office. But i got no problem in my office when i was using galaxy nexus.

I am driven crazy by this!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

there is a bug with d-link routers
    I've managed to have a pretty good wifi connection after having problem with my brand new SFR (France) N4. I'm on CM10.1 M3, kernel franco r121 actually.

In fact when I had received my N4 it was on JOP40D, after some tests internet surfing and gplay downloads were fine, after the phone told me that there was and OTA and I did it. After the OTA everything was fine, Wifi and 3G too.

The game began here : stock rom is good but if you have tasted CM, you can't revert to another ROM... Unlocked and Flashed my N4 with TWRP Recovery and flashed CM. Here I had lots of problems with wifi and 3g : gplay took 35min to download google search, ping 250ms to google's dns and impossible to surf on the net with the 3g. Tested a dozen different roms with no luck. At this point I was considering a hardware problem but, that was too strange to be : wifi signal indicator and activity indicator seems OK, but no datas are tranferred.

After 4 or 5 hours and one or two liters of coffee, I have tested to restore the N4 with JOP40D, and surprise ! Wifi and 3g worked fine again ! I remembered one thing with my HTC Touch Diamond : with custom roms there were lots of problems with different updates of the radio rom of the phone, and sometimes it was tricky to find the good one.

I have compared radio roms version between JOP40D and JDQ39 : the first was 2.0.1700.33 and the second one 2.0.1700.48.

Flashed CM10.1 with full wipe (just to be sure), franco kernel and JOP40D radio and wifi/3G are alive !

No problems with downloading when in sleep mode too.

Don't know if it was really the solution, but it works for me, I hope it will help someone. Really happy to see the real potential of the N4, I was really considering to return it and keep my old NS which is working like a charm.
    My N4 seems to have difficulties with 5Ghz band. it sometimes recognizes my router, sometimes it won't, sometimes it has a hard time to reconnect once waking-up.
    In the meantime I chose to use the 2.4ghz band.
    There's a possibility that I have a defective router (My N4 is currently the only device which can use the 5Ghz band), or a defective router's firmware. Can't really tell until I'll own more devices which support this band.

The Nexus is running bone stock.

If it is router try firmware update if there isn't a stock try DD-WRT router firmware I love it.

Nexus 4 CyanogenMod 10.1.0RC5