Amazon FREE app of the day: FlexT9 keyboard. A Must Have

Search This thread

gbarayah

Dec 2, 2009
California
Just a warning:

Take a look at their EULA. Clearly states that they collect the information that you type and they cannot be held responsible what is done with this information... Just a little shady.

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
Just a warning:

Take a look at their EULA. Clearly states that they collect the information that you type and they cannot be held responsible what is done with this information... Just a little shady.

Curious if you could explain where you got this information? The EULA posted on Nuance's website (http://www.nuancemobilelife.com/android/EULA-flext9.html) does clearly state that
"As part of the Service, Nuance also collects and uses Speech Data, as defined below, to tune, enhance and improve the speech recognition and other components of the Service, and other Nuance services and products... 'Speech Data' means the audio files, associated transcriptions and log files provided by you hereunder or generated in connection with the Service."
but as far as I can tell this is exactly the same thing Google does with Voice Search, Google Talk Voicemail, etc. They go on to explain that only Nuance and third parties directly under their supervision will have access to such data. Sounds like business as usual to me...

cu_ninja

Sep 6, 2010
Austin
I really like how I can easily switch between swiping and typing. Swype and other swiping keyboards don't do this nearly as well as Flex T9.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

lexluthor

Feb 7, 2007
I picked up FlexT9 too.

I'm a swype user now and I really want to like it. I do think the keyboard layout itself is better than swype. Feels more responsive and it's definitely much easier to tap out words on it then it is on swype's.

Coming from swype though, I've have things that I'm used to, like swyping ! or ? to the space bar, Sywping the swype icon to 5 to get the numeric keypad and Swyping up after the first character to capitalize.

Those are pretty minor though. A couple of things I really don't like about FlexT9 though are that you can't click on a wrong word to pull up other choices for that word. You have to deleted it and re-swipe it. I think how, with swype, you can type away and then go back and quickly fix a few wrong words at the end like that. Also, I don't like how it won't let you swipe in the url bar. I use Dolphin and use the url bar to enter search queries more than I do urls. That's probably my biggest issue with FlexT9. I have to also get used to hitting space bar at different times from swype. I think if I swype something on swype and then the next I want a number after a space (like I want to write "this 1"), with swype it's swype "this" then hold "1". With FlexT9, you have to hit a space after swiping "this" That'll just take a little getting used to.

The last thing is that, like Swype, it automatically enters anything you type in manually into the dictionary. I hate that. I wind up with hmmm and grrrr in my dictionary. Then, let's say, for some reason, I can't get it to swipe a word and I have to type it and I mis-type it (very common on swype), I get that added. Like if I type out "thief", but I type "thied", then thied is forever in my dictionary. I clear data on swype monthly or so, but that's not a good solution. Why can't they both just add a check box for "automatically enter typed out words into the dictionary". Done, simple.

I've given up on FlexT9 and come back a couple of times. Not sure if I'll clear the hurdle to switch from swype.

Anyone have any idea how responsive they are to changes? I did receive an email back starting they'll review my suggestion. What kinds of things have been changed in recent updates?

Last edited by a moderator:

kftgr

Nov 14, 2008
@lexluthor: I pretty much have the same feelings with you on trying to like FlexT9 after using Swype. It's so hard to get used to swiping without inserting Swype's shortcuts. If only one of those keyboards would take the good qualities of the other... but might be a bit difficult as I think Swype figures things out location based along your swipe line; whereas FlexT9 takes a guess at your swiped letters and does a predictive dictionary match. That's why if you trace "ELEP" on FlexT9, you can get ELEPHANT as a word choice.

BTW, if you double tap on words with FlexT9, choices pop up. Don't know how you're not seeing it. This is with the version of FlexT9 from the Amazon free app day.

syrenz

Nov 21, 2010
Does anyone know how to get this keyboard in Canada? I've wanted to try for a while but can't find it in android market and amazon app store isn't available here...

knightnz

Dec 12, 2009
Wellington
I paid for this a while back and haven't seen any updates for it for quite a while. It let me install the (now free) Australian version from the market, it still can't understand the Kiwi accent though :)

Edit: No, turns out it just hasn't been updated in months.

Last edited:

syrenz

Nov 21, 2010
I paid for this a while back and haven't seen any updates for it for quite a while. It let me install the (now free) Australian version from the market, it still can't understand the Kiwi accent though :)

Edit: No, turns out it just hasn't been updated in months.

Says it was updated June 2nd. Nothing in the changelog though and from the comments it looks like the only thing that changed was the permission to read contact data... odd.

I still want to try this though, I've heard good things about this. It won't show up in the market app and if I try to install online it will say not supported in my country... so how to get it

EDIT:

Okay so apparently there is a free version available in Canada but it's in French.

Can anyone upload the free Australian version apk? (English is pretty much the same .. right?)

Thanks