4.4.2 unlocked downgrade

Search This thread

ericizzy1

Apr 28, 2006
Hi, tried searching my answer, but still not clear as to the answer for my situation, im about to purchase the unlock code for my non DE verizon moto x , code is from someone from china. If i upgrade to 4.4.2 while unlocked bootloader, any way back to 4.2.2 post camera update. Thanks

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Hi, tried searching my answer, but still not clear as to the answer for my situation, im about to purchase the unlock code for my non DE verizon moto x , code is from someone from china. If i upgrade to 4.4.2 while unlocked bootloader, any way back to 4.2.2 post camera update. Thanks

Yes and No

No you can not flash the complete 4.2.2 PCU package it will fail because you can't downgrade the bootloader

Yes because you can flash everything but the bootloader and it will take but if you accidentally take a OTA. you will brick your device.

but if you are able to unlock your bootloader then why would you want to downgrade. with a unlocked bootloader you will be able to root 4.4.2 with no issues

ericizzy1

Apr 28, 2006
because when I was on 4.4, I had some battery consumption and heating issues also bluetooth was not perfect, I just wanted to make sure I have a way back To 4.2.2

also, not being able to downgrade the bootloader, in which way does this affect me going back to four point 4.2.2?

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Your phone will work fine but like i said if you ever take a ota it will brick your phone

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ota will brick, will be able to rsd to 4.4 or 4.4.2 if wanted?

No. Once you start mixing bootloader versions with system file versions (i.e. 4.4.2 bootloader with 4.2.2 system files), RSD Lite won't work. You will have to use a command line and mfastboot.exe to manually flash each partition.

And I actually tried to run 4.2.2 (post camera update) system files with a 4.4.2 bootloader and it would not boot; however, 4.4 system files do work with a 4.4.2 bootloader.

This has actually been discussed at great length and detail in this forum and A LOT of people were bricking their phones playing around with bootloader versions, just like you are talking about doing. At one point there was a sticky dedicated to it, but its since disappeared from the board for some reason.

To put it simply, please don't start mixing bootloader versions with system files. If you like 4.2.2, don't upgrade to 4.4.2. If you are on 4.4, then you can still downgrade to 4.2.2 (post camera update version). Do that and stay there. But if you upgrade to 4.4.2, don't fool around with it and start trying to downgrade. There is no point, and you will likely end up bricking your phone.

It's your phone, so do what you want, but you have been warned (by someone with personal experience by the way). If you do brick it, please don't start another "OMG! HELP ME!! I BRICKED MY PHONE!!" thread. There's plenty of those already floating around here. :good:

Reactions: KidJoe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ota will brick, will be able to rsd to 4.4 or 4.4.2 if wanted?

No. Once you start mixing bootloader versions with system file versions (i.e. 4.4.2 bootloader with 4.2.2 system files), RSD Lite won't work. You will have to use a command line and mfastboot.exe to manually flash each partition.

And I actually tried to run 4.2.2 (post camera update) system files with a 4.4.2 bootloader and it would not boot; however, 4.4 system files do work with a 4.4.2 bootloader.

This has actually been discussed at great length and detail in this forum and A LOT of people were bricking their phones playing around with bootloader versions, just like you are talking about doing. At one point there was a sticky dedicated to it, but its since disappeared from the board for some reason.

To put it simply, please don't start mixing bootloader versions with system files. If you like 4.2.2, don't upgrade to 4.4.2. If you are on 4.4, then you can still downgrade to 4.2.2 (post camera update version). Do that and stay there. But if you upgrade to 4.4.2, don't fool around with it and start trying to downgrade. There is no point, and you will likely end up bricking your phone.

It's your phone, so do what you want, but you have been warned (by someone with personal experience by the way). If you do brick it, please don't start another "OMG! HELP ME!! I BRICKED MY PHONE!!" thread. There's plenty of those already floating around here. :good: