TouchWiz 4.0 Port to Galaxy Nexus

Who wants to see TouchWiz 4.0 ported to the Galaxy Nexus?

• TouchWiz looks great. I would love to see a port.

Votes: 95 38.2%
  • We don't need any TouchWiz. ICS is all we need.

Votes: 154 61.8%

• Total voters
Search This thread

joshnichols189

Jun 5, 2010
Chicago
You seem to be confused... You're assuming that I'm referring to a specific piece of hardware.

I'm not.

Besides... Given that many of us will simply flash the ROM or that MOST users out there will simply use a different launcher... What does it matter?

I buy a phone for the hardware. I could care less what comes on it as it's going to get flashed anyway.

All that matters to me is that it's got the best mixture of hardware and that it will be (conceivably) compatible with future versions of Android.

I responded to one person's generalized comment that made it sound as though EVERYONE with a Nexus is going to ***** about not having Touchwiz on it - which is an incorrect exaggeration.

Touchwiz is still one of the lesser preferred UI's out there - as is made apparent by the poll in this very thread, no less.

I said nothing of the hardware. Don't read so far into things.

Dude.. we are obviously on the same side of this argument you just worded your reply to the other guy in a way that made it seem like you thought most people wanted touchwiz calm down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

CyrylTheWolf

May 3, 2008
Omaha
The whole TW vs AOSP thing is bunk, people. People like what people like. Get over it.

"If you like TW buy a phone with TW on it!"

...take a gander at VZW's selection and get back to me. No SII.

If they'd sold a TW version of the G'Nex, I'd have been all over it. As it stands, I havea G'Nex and am eagerly awaiting MIUI and/or TouchWiz (4 or 5) to be ported.

TW3 sucked. 4 is actually very usable. 5 looks like Samsung's attempt at MIUI.

...so yeah, I want.

I'll have to check it out if I ever come across an SII I guess. Mostly because it's hard for me to believe after having used TW3 for the limited time that I did before I couldn't stand it anymore. :p

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Dude.. we are obviously on the same side of this argument you just worded your reply to the other guy in a way that made it seem like you thought most people wanted touchwiz calm down.

Uhhh... Ok? I'm not actually mad here. Just confounded. (Again... Reading too far into it.)

The individual I replied to seems believe that everyone suddenly wants Touchwiz when those who want it are in fact the minority. (A well-established fact.)

Given that I was obviously correcting this ill-conceived perception by citing "the few" (who want TW) who do not speak for "the many" (who do not prefer it)...

I don't see how you could have possibly interpreted anything from my words other than what they clearly convey. The words - and their singular context - were quite clear.

Look... Don't worry about it. I feel ridiculous enough typing this explanation as it is.

Back to the matter at hand then...

hosmsdos

Oct 29, 2008
The touchwiz launcher and touchwiz Widgets is already ported just search for them in xda

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Bastyon

Jan 10, 2012
He He

I'm on Verizon because of the network in my area...end of story...so I have Galaxy Nexus. A good friend of mine who gets no Verizon reception when he travels to visit his family is on sprint. He has the Galaxy SII He rooted it but has kept his TouchWiz 4.0 launcher. Its smooth and clean and has no performance issue. We run pretty much the same apps but his device regularly has twice as much available memory as my nexus. And as nice as the new ICS looks compared to the old gingerbread it still has some God AWFUL ugly items..like the hideous dial pad. If I could go out right now and get the Galaxy SII phone at Verizon and trade in my Nexus I would in a heart beat..and I would keep the Touch 4.0 overlay. I don't blame anyone for prefering the Touchwiz look and feel replace some of the still hideous (imo) design characteristics of the ICS on the Nexus.

Just my own thoughts on the matter...not that anyone cares :p

Reactions: Crickette

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
IMO if anyone wants TW you'll be better off getting a SGS2 instead of this phone

you get more support from SGS2 Devs anyways, and there are a lot more development going on over at the SGS2 forums

also by installing TW in this phone, it defeats the whole purpose of having pure AOSP in the Nexus :rolleyes:

kekspernikai

Sep 28, 2010
I'm on Verizon because of the network in my area...end of story...so I have Galaxy Nexus. A good friend of mine who gets no Verizon reception when he travels to visit his family is on sprint. He has the Galaxy SII He rooted it but has kept his TouchWiz 4.0 launcher. Its smooth and clean and has no performance issue. We run pretty much the same apps but his device regularly has twice as much available memory as my nexus. And as nice as the new ICS looks compared to the old gingerbread it still has some God AWFUL ugly items..like the hideous dial pad. If I could go out right now and get the Galaxy SII phone at Verizon and trade in my Nexus I would in a heart beat..and I would keep the Touch 4.0 overlay. I don't blame anyone for prefering the Touchwiz look and feel replace some of the still hideous (imo) design characteristics of the ICS on the Nexus.

Just my own thoughts on the matter...not that anyone cares :p

I like the dialer :( Then again, I think most of ICS looks better than TW, so maybe I'm just crazy.

Also, the free memory issue is mostly irrelevant unless it is affecting performance, due to the way Android handles processes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

robt772000

Mar 21, 2010
I assume everyone here knows that TW is not just a launcher with ugly icons? Its has some fantastic HW accel. features we don't have like amazing codec support, camera and graphical accel. If you get rid of the launcher and the icons but keep all of the underlying features the SGS2 would rule the world even more. Or just them it then you can have beauty and the beast.

Reactions: open1your1eyes0

Radsolutionz

Account currently disabled
Sep 16, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
why??? the purpose of the nexus is PURE google... if u wanted touchwiz just get a galaxy s 2... i dont know about u guys but im happy as helllllll to be rid of touchwiz and my galaxy s 2....... the phone was nice... but i hate touchwiz...

andy7g

Dec 1, 2011
Use SGSII for about two months before convert to GNexus. Like GNexus, but there are also couple things I like in SGSII TW 4.0
For example, you can long press a thing and get the menu to delete or edit it.
Native support in Sound setting to adjust different sound level for phone, notification.
Native clock provide simple but practical funcs
Move 3D and colorful menu/fonts

Yes, all these could be achieved either by using another apps or some custom roms, themes. So to me, SGSII is more aim at common consumers and Nexus is more for "players" who want to spend time to tweak their phones.
If someone could port TW's good features to GNexus, why not?

Black_Tiger

Feb 10, 2008
Because it's Touchwizz or Sense or Motoblur... --'

Android needs consistency, these skins are wrong on so many level...

The Nexus is the only phone with pure Android (and we love it for that !) this is why you don't see this kind of thread here, if you want one of these skins you got choice elsewhere here isn't the place...

And TW&Co. are very difficult to port you have to understand that...

Drewmungus

Apr 26, 2010
I would say porting it over would be a bad idea. In the past porting skins over to phones that they didn't originally come with has been plagued with cease and desist orders. I don't know if Samsung would have a problem because they made the Nexus.

I think what we need is a community developed skin that could be ported to any phone that has a aosp rom. CM and MIUI already do this but I'm thinking something in between would be cool. I've seen lots of amazing mods that if they got pieced together we would have a skin that would tell all the oem's where to shove it.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
why??? the purpose of the nexus is PURE google... if u wanted touchwiz just get a galaxy s 2... i dont know about u guys but im happy as helllllll to be rid of touchwiz and my galaxy s 2....... the phone was nice... but i hate touchwiz...

I wish Verizon gave us a choice. I would personally have gone down the SII route.

Don't bump this

touchwiz garbage is not wanted here

We appreciate your opinion but we'd like to ask you to respect ours as well. You may not like it but that is no reason to deny development.

xXJay_RXx

Apr 13, 2010
I don't know why people talk badly about the skins. The only skin I've ever tried was Sense and I love Sense. It does slow up the phone just a tad but I loved Sense 3.0 and 3.5 on my old Thunderbolt. I've never tried TouchWiz or MotoBlur so I can't speak about those....

Crickette

Jun 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I like how people are saying "just get a SGS2!".....guess what??? VZ DOESN'T offer one! smh.....Just because you don't like TW doesn't mean I can't like it.

Oh yeah, TW isn't garbage and I want it here! :)

Bakedbread

Nov 25, 2009
to be honest, the only thing i loved about touchwiz (coming from the GS2) was the "swipe" actions TW had

remember in Contacts you could swipe right or left to either call or message someone?
I thoguht that was SOOO awesome - i used it ALL the time

so for me id be more happy if some FEATURES of TW was ported to ICS - best of both worlds imo

i also agree i really didnt like how the TW dialer looked like, im a huge fan of the ICS dialer now (especially the CM9 with smart dialing)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know why people talk badly about the skins. The only skin I've ever tried was Sense and I love Sense. It does slow up the phone just a tad but I loved Sense 3.0 and 3.5 on my old Thunderbolt. I've never tried TouchWiz or MotoBlur so I can't speak about those....
    The whole TW vs AOSP thing is bunk, people. People like what people like. Get over it.

"If you like TW buy a phone with TW on it!"

...take a gander at VZW's selection and get back to me. No SII.

If they'd sold a TW version of the G'Nex, I'd have been all over it. As it stands, I havea G'Nex and am eagerly awaiting MIUI and/or TouchWiz (4 or 5) to be ported.

TW3 sucked. 4 is actually very usable. 5 looks like Samsung's attempt at MIUI.

...so yeah, I want.

I wish Verizon gave us a choice. I would personally have gone down the SII route.

Don't bump this

touchwiz garbage is not wanted here

We appreciate your opinion but we'd like to ask you to respect ours as well. You may not like it but that is no reason to deny development.
    One thing I liked about TW over Stock is that Samsung at least makes an attempt to make everything part of a same theme package where Google just throws icons together with no effort whatsoever.
    Please never let this happen. 3rd party skins have only hurt Android since 2.0.

I think you will find many (outside of this thread) that say the exact opposite. Even Google said they took examples from custom UI's when developing ICS.

ICS will only get better why ruin it with touchwiz and any other skin for that effect.

Why it has to be "ruin"? Why not combine the best of both? :)