[MOD] 4x5 TouchWiz Launcher - Many Options - [MF9] [MDL] UPDATED 9-4

Search This thread

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
*** Latest Addition - 4x6 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Scrolling Wallpaper ***

With all the real estate on our phones, I wanted to make a little better use of it. After quite a bit of searching, I found some different TouchWiz configurations, but it always seemed like they were trying to do too much. I simply wanted another row of usable space. So following the guide I found HERE, I made my own.

I managed to get a decent Landscape layout together. The only problem is that the home screen can only be 4x4. No matter what I tried, the landscape grid layout ALWAYS was the same as the portrait grid layout. I was trying for 4x5 portrait and 5x4 landscape. The apps and widgets settings took just fine, but not the home screen.

I found quite a few landscape enabled launchers for other devices with the layout I was looking for, and my settings were the same as theirs, and theirs worked :confused: The difference was the were all SecLauncher2.apk, and we have SecLauncher3.apk. Samsung changed something, and its not landscape friendly.

These don't flash properly on I9500/I9505 phones. A work around is to pull the apk file from the zip and push it to the phone using adb. More info can be found, and zips that flash properly in the thread HERE

IN ADDITION: If the developer of the rom you are running has already made any changes to the launcher (scrolling wallpaper and such) these files will overwrite them and may cause you problems !!! Even the Return to Stock. It returns you to STOCK 4x4 Touchwiz Launcher, not what your developer put in his/her rom.

Launcher Screens. You have choices. One option now has rotation enabled (4x4 only on the home screen though). Page indicator above the bottom row of icons, page indicator below the icons, or stock 4x4. The pictures below show the main screen with the page indicator above and below the bottom icons, and another page just showing all icons:

HomeScreenIndUp.png
HomeScreenIndBottom.png
HomeScreenPage2.png

5x6 apps screen and 3x4 Widgets Screen:

ScreenshotApps.png
ScreenshotWidgets.png

4x5 and 5x6 Home screens with no bottom icon text and 4x5 Home Screen with NO text:

4x5_4x6_3x4_NoBottomIconText.png
5x6%20Homescreen.png
4x5_4x6_3x4_NoHomeScreenText.png

Landscape Screenies:

Two shots of the Home Screen:
Landscape_Homescreen1.png
Landscape_Homescreen2.png

Apps and Widgets:
Landscape_Apps.png
Landscape_Widgets.png

Some things to note:

This is for deodexed roms and is MF9 or MDL based.

The Return to Stock file will return you back to the stock setup if you don't like the 4x5 setup, or if your favorite widget doesn't play nice with the 4x5 setup.

I am always customizing my phone when I find cool stuff here on XDA, but this is the first time I've ever posted any of it, please be kind... lol

Nandroid is ALWAYS a good idea, or pull your existing SecLauncher3.apk from /system/app so you can push it back if need be.

Constructive feedback (positive OR negative) is greatly appreciated. I take SO much from this site and the people here, just want to give a little back.

IMPORTANT:

When switching from a larger Home Screen grid to a smaller Home Screen grid, remove any icons that will not fit in the smaller grid before flashing. For example, you're going from a 5x5 to a 4x5 homescreen, and you had a widget in columns 3, 4 and 5. Column 5 will no longer be there and the right third of the widget will be cut off. If you try to move or delete it, the launcher will force close.

If you forget and do it anyway, no big deal. Reboot back to recovery, flash the old grid size you had and reboot. Move the widgets/icons then flash the smaller grid.

MF9 Downloads:

4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Up

4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Down

4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Down, No Bottom Icon Text

4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, No Home Screen Text, Page Indicator Up

4x5 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Up, Scrolling Wallpaper

4x6 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Down, No Bottom Icon Text, Scrolling Wallpaper

5x6 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Down, No Bottom Icon Text, Scrolling Wallpaper

4x4 Portrait/Landscape, 4x6/7x3 Apps, 3x4/5x2 Widgets

Stock MF9 Launcher

MDL Downloads:

Stock 4x4 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets

4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Above Bottom Icons

4x5 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Above Bottom Icons

4x5 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Page Indicator Below Bottom Icons

4x5 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, Stock 2x3 Widgets

4x5 Home Screen, Stock 4x5 Apps, Stock 2x3 Widgets

4x4 Home Screen, 5x5 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, Scrolling Wallpaper

Stock MDL Launcher

Miscellaneous Downloads:

These files are from specific requests for phone variations I do not have. Note that they are apk files and ARE NOT flashable. They must be pushed via adb or copied using Root Explorer to the /system/app folder. Also note that I have no way of testing them. Quite a few people are using them without issue though.

If pushing using adb, be sure to fix permissions before rebooting. If using Root Explorer (or equivalent) make the permissions match the other files in the /system/app folder

I9505 File(s):

I9505 ONLY - 4x4 Home Screen with Landscape Enabled, 4x6/7x3 Apps, 3x4/5x2 Widgets
I9505 ONLY - 4x4 Home Screen with Landscape Enabled, No Home Screen Text, 4x6/7x3 Apps, 3x4/5x2 Widgets
I9505 ONLY - 4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, No Home Screen Text, Page Indicator Up
I9505 ONLY - 4x5 Home Screen, 4x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets, No Home Screen Text, Page Indicator Up, Scrolling Wallpaper

I9500 File(s):

I9500 ONLY - 4x4 Home Screen, 5x5 Apps, 3x4 Widgets

I337 File(s):

I337-MG1 ONLY - 4x5 Home Screen, 5x6 Apps, 3x4 Widgets

Last edited:

Foulwx

Nov 24, 2011
Allentown, PA
Does it matter whether we are odexed or deodexed?

Thanks!

Edit: Well I know it works on deodexed. Flashed the mod and returned to standard. Nice work. And I like the page indicator at the bottom of the page.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Does it matter whether we are odexed or deodexed?

Thanks!

Edit: Well I know it works on deodexed. Flashed the mod and returned to standard. Nice work. And I like the page indicator at the bottom of the page.

Good catch, forgot to mention that... This is deodexed. I'm not sure what would happen if you try this with an odexed rom.

Last edited:

urrgevo

Apr 11, 2011
It would probably get flukey or simply not work. If you want to try this on an odexed rom, first download any other launcher from the play store and switch to it, then use root explorer or equivalent to delete SecLauncher3.apk and SecLauncher3.odex from system/app. Boot into recovery, flash, reboot, switch to your new touchwiz launcher, uninstall nova or whatever you used and enjoy. This should work.

Im fairly certain that landscape is part of the launcher unless your using an app to force it.

@OP, thank you for this, hope it works on my uscellular variant but I think it should

Update: it works beautifully :). Ill let the others at tuscc know
Sent from my SCH-R970 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: libraryguy72

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
It would probably get flukey or simply not work. If you want to try this on an odexed rom, first download any other launcher from the play store and switch to it, then use root explorer or equivalent to delete SecLauncher3.apk and SecLauncher3.odex from system/app. Boot into recovery, flash, reboot, switch to your new touchwiz launcher, uninstall nova or whatever you used and enjoy. This should work.

@OP, thank you for this, hope it works on my uscellular variant but I think it should

Update: it works beautifully :). Ill let the others at tuscc know

Glad it's working for you. No issues with any widgets that you know of? Let me know if you find anything weird.

If anyone does want to try it with and odexed rom, you can use the method above, or if you're familiar with adb, you can delete the existing SecLauncher3.apk and SecLauncher3.odex while in recovery.

Be sure the system directory is mounted then from a command prompt type:

adb shell
rm /system/app/SecLauncher3.apk
rm /system/app/SecLauncher3.odex
exit

Now flash the zip. If it doesn't work, restore your nandroid. You did make a nandroid backup, didn't you? ;)

urrgevo

Apr 11, 2011
I actually used root explorer to push the apk because I prefer that method but everything looks ok so far. I admittedly dont use many widgets though. I nabbed one with the regular app drawer, ill have to try the other

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Any way to get the page indicators back in their original position with this mod?

Edit: Found out how to move the bottom row of icons down (they are called hotseat in the dimens.xml file). Don't have time to get anything together right now, but probably tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

They can be put anywhere on the screen. The problem is that they get covered up by icons if I put them anywhere else.

It looked pretty ugly...

I would actually prefer them above the static launcher icons at the bottom. If I could figure out how to move them down, I would put the page indicators back above them.

Anybody know which apk handles the "primary" (as Samsung calls them) application shortcuts? I didn't see anything that looked relevant in the SecLauncher3.apk. That doesn't mean it isn't in there though...

On the apps and widgets screens, there really isn't anyplace else to put them.

Last edited:

terence74

Jan 16, 2009
One More Clock

Just to give a heads up , it made my 4x2 one more clock narrower than what it is supposed to be at for the 4 going across.

Thx

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
YESSSSSS! and it worked with the all my widgets, very good work, surprised it took this long for someone to fix the widget issue. i bow down to thee!!

Thanks very much, very nice addition.

fgr

Mar 1, 2008
Overland Park, KS
Moved the page indicator back up, what do you guys think? Should I leave it where it is, or move it like this (none of the downloads in the OP have been changed yet btw):

Page%20indicator.png

AxAtAx

Mar 14, 2011
ViSiON,Texas
Moved the page indicator back up, what do you guys think? Should I leave it where it is, or move it like this (none of the downloads in the OP have been changed yet btw):

I do not use home screen icon text, so bottom was perfect for me, but if anyone uses the text, the screenshot you just did will work. hmm thats a good question. I am gonna download em all, before you change em...:D

Last edited:

Foulwx

Nov 24, 2011
Allentown, PA
Good question. I'll keep the old one, but I think people might prefer the new one that looks more like the original Touchwiz.

Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts