Anyone tried flashing Gear 2 firmware to Gear 1?

Search This thread

jnrdata

Jul 24, 2012
Grovetown,Ga
Now that the Gear 2 firmware is available, has anyone tried to flash it to the Gear 1 to see if possible? I'm thinking about trying it just to see what happens, but if someone else has tried and found out it's a day wrecker I'll hold off.

iBuzman

Mar 7, 2011
Melbourne
Sony Xperia XA2
Umm.. Gear 1 runs Android and Gear 2 runs Tizen or something - this is almost like asking has anyone flashed iOS6 on their Windows Phone isn't it? (or am I missing something here).

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jnrdata

Jul 24, 2012
Grovetown,Ga
Umm.. Gear 1 runs Android and Gear 2 runs Tizen or something - this is almost like asking has anyone flashed iOS6 on their Windows Phone isn't it? (or am I missing something here).

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

The hardware itself is almost identical between the two watches. Samsung has stated they are bringing Tizen to the Gear 1. I guess I'm just a little impatient. Maybe it could be ported to work?

Last edited:

bballengphd

Dec 8, 2012
The original Tizen was designed as open source platform. However, after Samsung bough it, they have changed it to be a stripped down version of the androids that we see in our phones. I would assume they have made it more locked down than our typical android platforms. They did this similar to what Apple did when designing theri ios, so the dev's has to conform to their policies and make it harder to crack. Its all about money.

So even though the 2 watches are almost identical in terms of hardware, the first thing to do is try to unlock the firmware first, then we can see if it can be modified to fit the gear 1 or even any other smart watch.

Medy89

Jun 30, 2013
The original Tizen was designed as open source platform. However, after Samsung bough it, they have changed it to be a stripped down version of the androids that we see in our phones. I would assume they have made it more locked down than our typical android platforms. They did this similar to what Apple did when designing theri ios, so the dev's has to conform to their policies and make it harder to crack. Its all about money.

So even though the 2 watches are almost identical in terms of hardware, the first thing to do is try to unlock the firmware first, then we can see if it can be modified to fit the gear 1 or even any other smart watch.

this is interisting ... because I would consider buying a gear 2 if I could have android on it .... otherwise it would be useless to me ;) ... and for the gear 1 .. Im not realyl fond of the size of it .... so thats sad ... they would get me sold with a gear 2 device that has android .... bad move I think .. they dont get my money.... since for just the few function it has I dont consider it really smart... so far found no device that matches these points ... except the gear 1 which is too bulky... im looking forward to that day such device with android becomes abailable ;)

Last edited: