[Q] Kindle Fire 2 completely bricked after flashing wrong bootloader.

Search This thread

jophish

Feb 10, 2013
Hi. So the other day I installed TWRP on my Kindle Fire successfully. The KF was at 10.2.6, I'm not sure if that means it's a Kindle Fire 2 or not. Anyways, when I went to flash FFF, I stupidly flashed the .zip as a bootloader, thus making my Kindle Fire completely unusable. When I press the power button, nothing at all happens. Nothing I do will make the screen turn on or the power button to flash in any way. I've tried using Firekit with usbboot and the shorting trick, but that hasn't worked for me. (I just installed stock Ubuntu to a flash drive with the fk file on root, I'm fairly certain that's all that needed to be done?)

Anyways, my Kindle is unresponsove, and the usbboot trick has yet to work for me. I really want to save this guy. I've heard the KF cannot be completely bricked through software/flashing. I hope it's true! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chris_m128

Sep 22, 2011
if that is your software version then yes you have kindle fire 2, i'd wait for someone with more experience on here to post, but it sounds to me like you are going to need a factory cable

jophish

Feb 10, 2013
if that is your software version then yes you have kindle fire 2, i'd wait for someone with more experience on here to post, but it sounds to me like you are going to need a factory cable

Thanks fro replying. I'm pretty sure a factory cable only puts it into fastboot if you have a working bootloader. I don't, so I don't think it would work.

chris_m128

Sep 22, 2011
I remember an instance where a friend of mine had a broken bootloader, and we used a factory cable to restore it, this was on the kindle fire. we had to first reflash the bootloader. I hope this is possible here.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

but you'll have to ask someone with more experience than me sorry.

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
Hi. So the other day I installed TWRP on my Kindle Fire successfully. The KF was at 10.2.6, I'm not sure if that means it's a Kindle Fire 2 or not. Anyways, when I went to flash FFF, I stupidly flashed the .zip as a bootloader, thus making my Kindle Fire completely unusable. When I press the power button, nothing at all happens. Nothing I do will make the screen turn on or the power button to flash in any way. I've tried using Firekit with usbboot and the shorting trick, but that hasn't worked for me.

I think you need a Factory cable to recover.

If you connect the Kindle to the PC and try adb devices in a terminal window, what do you see?

From the software version, you have KF2, as such you need to use the tools and ROMs from the KF2 threads. You could try to use the one click freedom boot and TWRP installer, to see if you can get that on.

From there you would probably have to push one of the 10.1 ROMs on, or the 10.2.6 recovery image, and then start again.

This seems to be happening a lot, and could be avoided if people read a bit more before using the wrong tools.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire2 using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: nanotibz

jophish

Feb 10, 2013

If you connect the Kindle to the PC and try adb devices in a terminal window, what do you see?

From the software version, you have KF2, as such you need to use the tools and ROMs from the KF2 threads. You could try to use the one click freedom boot and TWRP installer, to see if you can get that on.

Howdy. I just fashioned a factory cable, just jumping +5V to pin 4, right? It seems to be doing absolutely nothing. No lights or anything are turning on. The freedom boot just spits out "error: device not found" and hangs on "Pushing Stack". Again, I was under the impression that the factory cable only made it boot in fastboot if you already have a working bootloader. I'll try loading into Ubuntu and see what it says in terminal. Thanks

EDIT: So, when I type adb devices into terminal, I get:

The program 'adb' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb
You will have to enable the component called 'universe'

Could this have been my problem to begin with?

EDIT 2: Well, I installed ADB. There are no devices found when I enter that command, and the shorting trick with still doesn't work. Ugh.

Last edited:

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
Howdy. I just fashioned a factory cable, just jumping +5V to pin 4, right? It seems to be doing absolutely nothing. No lights or anything are turning on. The freedom boot just spits out "error: device not found" and hangs on "Pushing Stack". Again, I was under the impression that the factory cable only made it boot in fastboot if you already have a working bootloader. I'll try loading into Ubuntu and see what it says in terminal. Thanks

EDIT 2: Well, I installed ADB. There are no devices found when I enter that command, and the shorting trick with still doesn't work. Ugh.

Leave your Kindle plugged in for an hour using the normal cable, as it may be totally flat.

The attached diagram shows what pins need joining. If you can, make sure none of the other pins are shorting.

Hold the power button for 20 seconds, plug in your fastboot cable, power on the Kindle.

You should see some traffic lights on the screen.

If you can get fastboot enabled, you should be able to push the correct partitions back on using the partitions from the factory restore image, your backup files or from the recovery thread. Hope you get it running.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360524974380.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360524974380.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 885

jophish

Feb 10, 2013
Leave your Kindle plugged in for an hour using the normal cable, as it may be totally flat.

The attached diagram shows what pins need joining. If you can, make sure none of the other pins are shorting.

Hold the power button for 20 seconds, plug in your fastboot cable, power on the Kindle.

If you can get fastboot enabled, you should be able to push the correct partitions back on using the partitions from the factory restore image, your backup files or from the recovery thread. Hope you get it running.

I tried the fastboot cable out on a working Kindle Fire, and it worked correctly, so I did wire it right. I did as you said, holding the power button down and then plugging in the cable, and nothing happens still on the KF2. I have access to the insides, should I unplug the battery? It should be around 85% charged. Thanks again.

Edit: BIG NEWS~ Not really. When I plug the Kindle Fire with the fastboot cable into Windows, it appears under Device Manager as "Unknown Device" with a yellow triangle, but nothing shows up on the Kindle, no lights or anything. Hmph.

Last edited:

chronicfathead

Mar 23, 2008
Sleaford, Lincs
I tried the fastboot cable out on a working Kindle Fire, and it worked correctly, so I did wire it right. I did as you said, holding the power button down and then plugging in the cable, and nothing happens still on the KF2. I have access to the insides, should I unplug the battery? It should be around 85% charged. Thanks again.

Edit: BIG NEWS~ Not really. When I plug the Kindle Fire with the fastboot cable into Windows, it appears under Device Manager as "Unknown Device" with a yellow triangle, but nothing shows up on the Kindle, no lights or anything. Hmph.

You could have tried sending it back to Amazon, but you say you have opened it.

plinders

Jan 11, 2012
Eindhoven
www.last.fm
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, also flashed FFF (by accident) on my device. Haven't been able to fix it yet but I do have a factory cable. Also did the USB trick, but that didn't have an effect either.

From there you would probably have to push one of the 10.1 ROMs on, or the 10.2.6 recovery image, and then start again.

This seems to be happening a lot, and could be avoided if people read a bit more before using the wrong tools.

In my case, I did by accident because it wasn't clear to me which KF generation I had (I've bricked mine just after christmas). These forums were not really clear either, I had a Kindle Fire so I just looked for a KF guide. After I bricked it I found out my device was a second generation Kindle Fire.

yudanjah

Apr 2, 2011
LA
I'm in exactly the same boat as you, also flashed FFF (by accident) on my device. Haven't been able to fix it yet but I do have a factory cable. Also did the USB trick, but that didn't have an effect either.

In my case, I did by accident because it wasn't clear to me which KF generation I had (I've bricked mine just after christmas). These forums were not really clear either, I had a Kindle Fire so I just looked for a KF guide. After I bricked it I found out my device was a second generation Kindle Fire.

Hi, to clarify: you cannot boot into TWRP? No logos at boot at all? No boot?

I would send it back to Amazon...

dc_nc123

Sep 26, 2012
Same Here.. :(

I was thinking that all kindle fire are the same... installed fire fire fire using KFU and device got bricked....! :eek:

Hope someone here could help us get our devices up and running again...

plinders

Jan 11, 2012
Eindhoven
www.last.fm
Hi, to clarify: you cannot boot into TWRP? No logos at boot at all? No boot?

I would send it back to Amazon...

Nothing whatsoever.
I can't really send it back to Amazon, because of two reasons:
1) I already opened up the back
2) It was gifted to me from the US, and there is no Dutch Amazon, so I'd have to send the device back to the person who gifted to me, that person has to mail it to Amazon from there, and the replacement device has to come back the same way (via that person). That's not a situation I'd like to put that person in.

i.robert

Feb 11, 2013
Dame problem

Nothing whatsoever.
I can't really send it back to Amazon, because of two reasons:
1) I already opened up the back
2) It was gifted to me from the US, and there is no Dutch Amazon, so I'd have to send the device back to the person who gifted to me, that person has to mail it to Amazon from there, and the replacement device has to come back the same way (via that person). That's not a situation I'd like to put that person in.

Same problem dude, did you fix it?

dc_nc123

Sep 26, 2012
Help..

any updates on the fix? I hope someone out there could help us revive our bricked kindle fire 2... :angel:

kindle fire 2

flashed wrong bootloader (fff)
no power
no lights
no adb
shorting trick is not working for me :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi. So the other day I installed TWRP on my Kindle Fire successfully. The KF was at 10.2.6, I'm not sure if that means it's a Kindle Fire 2 or not. Anyways, when I went to flash FFF, I stupidly flashed the .zip as a bootloader, thus making my Kindle Fire completely unusable. When I press the power button, nothing at all happens. Nothing I do will make the screen turn on or the power button to flash in any way. I've tried using Firekit with usbboot and the shorting trick, but that hasn't worked for me.

You could have tried sending it back to Amazon, but you say you have opened it.

If it's any consolation, I contacted the Moderators, and they put a warning on the KFU thread to hopefully deter anything like this from happening in the future (not that someone won't try it anyway).
    Hi,

Me too - I have the Kindle Fire HD7 2nd gen and mistook the guide for the KF 2nd gen to apply to mine. Anyone had any luck salvaging this? I'd be fine if I got get into fastboot but can't even get windows to recognise...

J

The only way to fix a hard bricked kindle is to solder a sdcard reader to the emmc pins on the motherboard and flash the bootloader partition from linux, lsat i checked we don't have the pins mapped out for the 2013 kfhd so that method is not doable yet. I think someone was mapping them out but i don't remeber if its the 2013 model or not. Think they mapped some of them out though just not all. The omap flash(also known as shorting trick) method isnt going to work either so don't bother attempting it, we need a signed aboot file only amazon has and without it its imposible to flash the bootloader in that mode.