[Q] EC05 Downgrade issue.....

Search This thread

Gorguts

Jun 27, 2007
Westminster CO
I tried to downgrade from EH17 to EC05 stock through Odin. I used the official tar first and then tried the plus tar. Neither would complete in odin and just hung; no error or fail. My Epic display however did turn blue on 2 occasions. I used the 1.6 and 1.8 odins and neither worked.

I then tried to flash back to the EH17 stock with root and that didn't work until like the 3rd try. Anybody have issues with going back to EC05 and is it worth the effort? I'm just bored and didn't have any issues whatsoever on the GB builds so based off of that....am I missing anything?

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
I tried to downgrade from EH17 to EC05 stock through Odin. I used the official tar first and then tried the plus tar. Neither would complete in odin and just hung; no error or fail. My Epic display however did turn blue on 2 occasions. I used the 1.6 and 1.8 odins and neither worked.

I then tried to flash back to the EH17 stock with root and that didn't work until like the 3rd try. Anybody have issues with going back to EC05 and is it worth the effort? I'm just bored and didn't have any issues whatsoever on the GB builds so based off of that....am I missing anything?

Sounds like your cable is going bad. Time for a heavy duty cable. I am using the one from my Palm Pre and works perfect everytime.
I moved to GB and never looked back. EH17 rebooted at least 2 times a day after the 4th day so ended up going back to EG22. The only issues that has is stock browser won't download from dropbox links so got another browser and alarm wouldn't play in silent mode so got Extreme Alarm. Don't know what advantage going back to EC05 would give you. Many go back because of the reboot issue and can't get decent GPS to work. I can still get 5 out 10 locks so will do for now. If you use GPS constantly for directions then EC05 was way superior.

Reactions: Gorguts

Forever Justice

Dec 24, 2010
Piqua
Odin is Version 1.81, have had no issues with since I have been flashing!

Link for Odin:
http://www.multiupload.com/I6GVRDL0VK

Link for ECO5:
Froyo EC05 (do not extract this file)

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Here is link for EC05 file. It is part way down in Green Square, if you cannot see you have to sign up to download. Become a Member.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...68-how-factory-restore-fix-bricked-phone.html

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

If you still want to downgrade, you might have to go down to DI18 or EB13 then update to EC05.

That is another Way to do it.

Need Help, Repost we can get you links if you cannot find them.

mjben

Flashing the sfr zip right over your gb leak (and also a kernel) works just fine. Ive done it on several occasions. Only issue I had was restoring data from a nandroid. Doing so would lock my epic into an upside down landscape view, so I had to rebuild from a clean install and just used some titanium backup restores sparingly.

Sent from a secret underground bunker

ac16313

Mar 15, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
You know what's weird I had some issues going from EH17 to EC05 also... but I traced it down(hopefully) to a bad .tar (even though I succesfully odin'd at least 5 times with that same tar with all 5 previously being successful.

Sent from my SPH-D700

rando991

Mar 5, 2011
Kansas City, MO
If you wanted to do a clean install and you were already on EC05, would a factory reset (settings/Factory reset) be just as good or would you want to reinstall either the EC05 or original stock DI07 file and do OTAs? What's the advantage of one over the other?

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
If you wanted to do a clean install and you were already on EC05, would a factory reset (settings/Factory reset) be just as good or would you want to reinstall either the EC05 or original stock DI07 file and do OTAs? What's the advantage of one over the other?

You know, there are two different schools of thought on this. Some always go back and use the OTA updates and some never do. I used to go back to EB13 and take the OTA but now I just go straight to what I want. A custom ROM is going to replace everything anyway

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Reactions: rando991

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Yeah, I have been using the Factory Data reset a lot more. Then restore only apps, no data except what you must have. Phone always seems faster and smoother for awhile.

Reactions: rando991

travmofosho

Feb 22, 2011
Sacramento, CA
Ive never had a problem going from EH17 or any other GB leak to EC05 but i have occasionally had issues with a bad USB cord or bad tar. Also going straight to whatever build you want might be better that OTA updates. As i recall there can be issues with OTA updates which can cause problems down the road. Of course thats just my personal opinion

Gorguts

Jun 27, 2007
Westminster CO
Well my cable was bad but that did not help with flashing ROMS. I have been dloading from the device though so I will get fresh dloads from the PC.

On a side note, I used the SW tool and flashed back to EB13 then took the upgrade prompt back too EC05. Been rollin' stock just for kicks and I noticed that the stock ROM runs faster then it use to but the graphics in the GUI get a little stuttery here and there. The scrolling and gallery interface are where it is most noticable.

I can't wait till they start letting employees get the Epic touch.....

Last edited:

Shinydude100

Feb 24, 2011
Dallas
Well my cable was bad but that did not help with flashing ROMS. I have been dloading from the device though so I will get fresh dloads from the PC.

On a side note, I used the SW tool and flashed back to EB13 then took the upgrade prompt back too EC05. Been rollin' stock just for kicks and I noticed that the stock ROM runs faster then it use to but the graphics in the GUI get a little stuttery here and there. The scrolling and gallery interface are where it is most noticable.

I can't wait till they start letting employees get the Epic touch.....

Did you do Data&Dalvik wipe three times prior to going into EC05?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sounds like your cable is going bad. Time for a heavy duty cable. I am using the one from my Palm Pre and works perfect everytime.
    I moved to GB and never looked back. EH17 rebooted at least 2 times a day after the 4th day so ended up going back to EG22. The only issues that has is stock browser won't download from dropbox links so got another browser and alarm wouldn't play in silent mode so got Extreme Alarm. Don't know what advantage going back to EC05 would give you. Many go back because of the reboot issue and can't get decent GPS to work. I can still get 5 out 10 locks so will do for now. If you use GPS constantly for directions then EC05 was way superior.

You know, there are two different schools of thought on this. Some always go back and use the OTA updates and some never do. I used to go back to EB13 and take the OTA but now I just go straight to what I want. A custom ROM is going to replace everything anyway

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Yeah, I have been using the Factory Data reset a lot more. Then restore only apps, no data except what you must have. Phone always seems faster and smoother for awhile.