How to root stock 3.2

Search This thread

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
multiupload is not working, pleaseeee any caritative soul can upload the Version V3 in other server (like mediafire)?...pleaseeeee

Thanks!!

Summary:
Version V4 is the same as V3 with the only difference being that there is a NEW backdoor script which has some additional features to protect root(#) from getting broken when you do an OTA. I also applied these to this flash image so you wouldn't have to add the additional protection yourself. V4 also has the drivers for XP included. However, when taking an OTA you should also install the backdoor for additional protection. However, you cannot leave the backdoor installed as it turns off sound. So having a little more protection just might save your root in case you take an OTA and forget to install the backdoor.

Alternative download location:
http://depositfiles.com/files/c6pr69ri6
http://www.fileserve.com/file/s2wCQpN/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
http://www.filesonic.com/file/jTA7AMN
http://www.filejungle.com/f/vRnfK5/root-3.2.1-V4.7z

Not sure if v3 is still available - v4 is though.
ReadMe is in the zip folder, suggest you read thru it first before u do anything

compwiz1202

Sep 6, 2011
I keep getting the message that an Iconia Tab A500 is not detected. The tablet is seen by Windows, I ran as admin and tried a cold boot. I also get no devices connected with test.cmd. Thanks.

D-U-R-X

Apr 22, 2011
Sheffield
My A500 arrived today and I am looking to root it. I have downloaded V4 and read through the readme... I understand everything, but have a quick question...

The zip is "root-3.2.1-V4.7z" - I guess that this refers to the Android version being 3.2.1? I have checked my tab's Android version and it is 3.2 - will this still work for me? I'm guessing so (given the thread title), but wanted to get an definitive answer from the people who brought you the tool!

Airere

Mar 3, 2012
XP issue

to everyone who is having the blank screen problem with windows xp, i had it too! but i fixed it and signed up for this forum to tell you.

it must have been a driver issue. i had the sdk drivers, the current acer drivers, and the drivers from the "DotNetDetecter.exe" (should that be detector?) all trying to play together. any time i ran the DotNetDetector, windows wanted to install new hardware. of course, i was always cancelling that thinking, "aren't enough drivers present already?" well i was wrong. i finally just let windows do whatever the hell it thought it should do installing drivers automatically and it all just worked after that.

i think i saw some others also say that their data remained on the tablet, but that is not the experience i had (but i was kind of expecting it). it seems to think it's a whole different tablet now altogether actually. but oh well. it's rooted! time to start moving my purchases from market back over.. good luck everyone, i hope i was able to help, and big thanks to OP!

Great Chupmacabre, I was considering to do this just before reading your post. So I run it again and let windows find the driver instead of cancel it, AND IT WORKS!!

Now I also do have a Rooted A500 3.2.1, and I'm very glad to all those who helped me reaching this with the previous posts!
It took me around 6hour to read everything till here, but at the end it works.

I also want to thank you the people on the Ad Hoc developers thread(I can't write there yet). My tablet is also recognizing ad hoc wi-fi (the reason to root).

Hope I get able to help you soon!

dhshoangsonvn

Jul 16, 2008
Version V3 released
http://www.multiupload.com/MQ6V790WUX
V3
-- In this version I simplified getting the Serial number of your tablet making it easier to flash. Please read the instructions in the readme.pdf. Many people were struggling trying to load ADB drivers and the ADB tools which the instructions said you needed to load first so you could get your serial number. The flashing tool actually loads the drivers and tools therefore, all you have to do is run the test.cmd after the drivers are loaded to get the serial number. This is now documented better, also you should not have to save the serial number in the CPUID.txt file, so I removed it.

-- I fixed the checksums during the flashing therefore you do not need to boot to recovery mode and fix them using CWM. Now your tablet will just reboot correctly after the flash.

-- I added into the flash, Busybox and SU tools for you. No need to add them later.

Bottom-line, if you installed V2 there is nothing new. V3 is just for those that struggled getting ADB working for their serial number and those that struggled installing the tools. Also, many people 'freaked' when their tablet didn't boot after the flash, because they did not read. Or they struggled with pushing the correct buttons to get into recovery mode to fix the checksums.

Enjoy,
TD

thank you..
but i can't download from there , so can you upload to other site, ex: mediafire.com

thank you so much

Neoh_E

Mar 6, 2012
Hello . If I ROOT my tablet with this method, can I expect in mid April automatic update to ICS ? tnx

sgssnoop

Sep 22, 2011
timmyDean, awesome job, worked exactly as described.

I used root-3.2.1-V4.7 from the linked downloads on my stock, unrooted A500 with 3.2.1, ended up with a rooted A500 with 3.2.1, with Superuser app. Did wipe exist data, but not a problem.

And thanks to chrishohl for the extra instructions.

chumiller22

Mar 13, 2012
TimmyDean...

Just wanted to thank you bro.... Total NOOB and this worked for Me and it was easy. Got my tab today (3.2.1) and in less then 20 mins fully rooted! you are the man!

Thanks again...much appreciated keep up the good work!

gymmy

Dec 7, 2009
Hmm ok so rooted the A500 all good, but today when i went to do something with BlueTooth it was missing, any one else's BT missing ?

A.

TimmyDean...

Just wanted to thank you bro.... Total NOOB and this worked for Me and it was easy. Got my tab today (3.2.1) and in less then 20 mins fully rooted! you are the man!

Thanks again...much appreciated keep up the good work!

quacles

Mar 13, 2012
I hate to ask this, but is a kind soul willing to reupload V4 to a faster download host? mediafire.com or maybe filesmelt.com? The ones that are still active are going to take three hours...

drharisis

Jul 2, 2008
Triing to fix some issues on my iconia A500( rooted with honeycomb 3.2) Iwiped data and formatted system....and when I push power button It stucks at Acer logo...What to do???some Help :(

kamakazie_1

Aug 26, 2011
Thanks and noob question

Firstly, thanks TimmyDean, root process went with minimal problem, in my case couldn't get SN to start with following directions, had to plug in tab then run Test command then unplug Tab and run dotnetdetector then plug tab back in..

Now question, flash went well but I don't see where I'm "rooted" is there a way to tell that I am? I'm new to this and my main reason for Rooting is to get a complete back up..

Thanks

RJ

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Firstly, thanks TimmyDean, root process went with minimal problem, in my case couldn't get SN to start with following directions, had to plug in tab then run Test command then unplug Tab and run dotnetdetector then plug tab back in..

Now question, flash went well but I don't see where I'm "rooted" is there a way to tell that I am? I'm new to this and my main reason for Rooting is to get a complete back up..

Thanks

RJ

To back up your apps and data - go to the market/playstore and download something like Titanium Backup, this requires ROOT access so will tell you if you are not rooted.

I've not heard of anyone losing root with TD's method so you should be all good.

To do a complete backup image of your entire sytem -
enter recovery mode manually by button press -
press volume down button ( vol down is the side closest to the power button.) and while still holding it down press and hold the power button. Your tab should vibrate and you should see the white Acer logo AND in the top left corner some white text "erasing cache" don't panic - let the buttons go, in a second or two the "ClockworkMod Recovery" screen should appear. Use the vol switch to scroll down to Backup and Restore and use the pwr switch to select - in the next menu select Backup and you're done!!

BTW, If you choose to try one of ICS Roms you can use TD's method to roll back to HC again, the method is a little different to what you've just done - don't connect the USB UNTIL you see the "Your iconia does not seem to be connected screen" and go from there - JazzyJames has a walkthrough here

kamakazie_1

Aug 26, 2011
Thanks dibb_nz, I hadn't tried to go into recovery mode yet, was just re-installing everything.. Question, if I run the complete backup from the recovery mode and I try to do one of the ICS roms (eventually) can't I just do a restore of the complete backup from recovery mode to get me back to like the last complete backup?? I'm a long time Win guy here so don't laugh at me, like I said to start with I'm a noobie with the Android stuff..

RJ

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Thanks dibb_nz, I hadn't tried to go into recovery mode yet, was just re-installing everything..

k, definitely good idea to do one once you're all set up - it also backs up you s/n or cpuid for safe keeping as well.

Question, if I run the complete backup from the recovery mode and I try to do one of the ICS roms (eventually) can't I just do a restore of the complete backup from recovery mode to get me back to like the last complete backup??

Edit: well blow me down with a feather!!!! I have just tried restoring my hc backup and it works!! Guess it makes sense as I was on the htc bootloader3.0.1....so looks.like you assumed correctly, nice.

if only :). The ICS "custom" roms we have at the moment all came from a leaked rom, we are still awaiting the acer gods to bestow an official ICS upon us mere mortals!!

The ICS bootloader is not the same as the HC one, therefore we need to do use a downgrade method (like this one from TD) to go back to HC. Be aware that while you're on a custom rom you will not receive the Over the Air ICS Update from the acer gods - hence the reason to have a backup system image (often referred to as a 'nandroid') of your original stock rom - which you have just done since you're all set up now - haven't you????

and, welcome to android/xda!!! - we're all noobs in one area or another - i just know enough to get me into lottsa trouble, but thats all the fun of android - I've found its damn near impossible to 'brick' your tab - all the info you need is here to read and there's always someone around to help out if you get stuck...good luck!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok, after messing around with 3.2 I decided to fix the rooting issues without downgrading. The problem with downgrading is it requires a SDCard and requires you to install a couple of programs and then to install an update.zip from the sdcard. I could not get half my ACER's to read and mount a sdcard, and some ACER's I have located in a remote office and trying to walk someone through the process was too painful. I tweaked the the downgrade tool's images to install 3.2 with root instead of downgrading it and jumping through hoops. All I did to the stock image is to copy the ash shell over to /system/xbin/su and set the sticky bit. Everything else is stock.

Update posted here, read thead http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20654298&postcount=129

New version V4

-- The instructions are in a PDF document inside the download --
    == Version V4 ==
    -- Added /system/subin/su which is a backup (backdoor) root in case an OTA deletes the /system/xbin/su
    -- Set permissons on the su root(#) tool so OTA's shouldn't be able to break it.
    -- Added drivers for XP

Summary:
    Version V4 is the same as V3 with the only difference being that there is a NEW backdoor script which has some additional features to protect root(#) from getting broken when you do an OTA. I also applied these to this flash image so you wouldn't have to add the additional protection yourself. V4 also has the drivers for XP included. However, when taking an OTA you should also install the backdoor for additional protection. However, you cannot leave the backdoor installed as it turns off sound. So having a little more protection just might save your root in case you take an OTA and forget to install the backdoor.

Download it here: http://www.multiupload.com/NS0X5TK4D1

Alternative download location:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/c6pr69ri6
    http://www.fileserve.com/file/s2wCQpN/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
    http://www.filesonic.com/file/jTA7AMN
    http://www.filejungle.com/f/vRnfK5/root-3.2.1-V4.7z
    Rooted 3.2.1 V2 -- Fixed versions added tools

Acer_A500_7.014.02_COM_GEN2 ROOTED
    Here’s the link http://www.multiupload.com/VD0L5WLQKK
    Version v2
    There is a V3 release http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20680452&postcount=137
    V3 installs all the tools for you

************** CHANGES ************************************
    Instructions are in the readme.pdf inside the zip

I fixed the version numbers. When it flashed, it wasn’t setting the number correctly therefore it would redo the last update over again even though it was already on the tablet.

Added a busyBox tool in the folder called busyBox where you will find installTools.cmd. This command script will install the superuser.apx, busybox, and su tool. This is what most of you would want instead of just the command line #(root). This does what chrishohl :) recommends (http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-k...en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/254-art-kb000005-en) to finish out your Acer rooting.

==================================================
    ******************** BACKDOOR UPDATE *********************

I added a little script that will build the backdoor for you. It is in the backdoor folder called backdoor.cmd. Just run this and it will set your adb shell to run as # (root).

Also NOTE, if you reset your tablet (factory restore) you will loose your backdoor. You just run the backdoor.cmd and it will reset the backdoor.

NO SOUND, when you have the backdoor enabled there appears to be no sound. So, you only want to use this before allowing a OTA to install.

==============================================
    ==Backdoor tool version 1.1 release notes===
    ==============================================

Inside the backdoor folder is command script called backdoor.cmd.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please select a option.
    Note: It is assumed you have su installed.
    1. Turn ON backdoor (sound will be off).
    2. Turn OFF backdoor.
    3. Reset missing sticky bit on /system/xbin/su
    (must have backdoor on and rebooted)

4. Quit (and reboot).
    5. Exit (no reboot).

This tool can be used to toggle On/Off the backdoor. When you install OTA updates these OTA’s run scripts that reset all the security permissions thereby removing the ‘sticky bit’ on your installed SU and hence removing root. The idea behind the backdoor is to install an alternate # (root) that the scripts won’t know about. To do this, we set the ro.kernel.qemu=1 flag inside the data/local.prop file therefore when you enter the ‘adb shell’ you immediately have # (root).

This alternate # (root), I call a backdoor. Named such after the movie Wargames where the ‘geeks’ told Lightman that they install a backdoor into systems incase they ever want to get back into a system after someone changes security. And sense Lightman was trying to hack the WOPR (pronounced whopper) and staying one step ahead of Acer is a whopper of a challenge, it seemed appropriate.

The downside is that if you have the backdoor on, it seems to turn off sound on the Acer. Therefore, I turn it on only before I run an OTA and then turn it back off after the OTA.

So far, the backdoor has allowed me to get back in as root if the OTA changes security. However, it might too be plugged by the evil Acer empire. But for now it seems to work. If anyone has any other backdoor approaches then please share them (I have a couple more if Acer plugs this one), but making and using a backdoor has been my frontline defense.

************** Toggle On/Off OTA version 1.1 *******************

Inside the OTA-Toggle folder is a command program called toggle.cmd
    Please select a option.
    Note: It is assumed you have su installed or the backdoor.
    1. Turn Off OTA.
    2. Turn On OTA.

3. Quit.

So, if you’re like me and you do not like Acer hacking into your privately owned tablet and destroying data, you just might want to lock them out. This tool (assuming you have root or the backdoor installed), will allow you to turn off OTA’s.

Once turned off, you will not be nagged or bothered with OTA’s ever again until you turn them back on.
    How to root stock 3.2 Extended

Hello to all,

I have created a nice How To about timmyDean's first post in this thread and extend it with the files and instructions needed in order to be completely root, not only in adb shell.

It is a little big so I posted it in my website here http://www.chdcomputers.gr/en/mnu-kb-fus-en/mnu-kb-android-en/mnu-kb-android-devices-en/mnu-kb-android-a500-en/99-art-kb000005-en

I have tested the whole procedure three times in three A500 that we have, for our development needs, with success.

The how to also answers many questions asked here about the procedure. So go ahead and read it and tell me what you think or if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Christos Hohlidakis
    Rooted 3.2.1 V3 -- Released

Version V3 released
    http://www.multiupload.com/MQ6V790WUX
    V3
    -- In this version I simplified getting the Serial number of your tablet making it easier to flash. Please read the instructions in the readme.pdf. Many people were struggling trying to load ADB drivers and the ADB tools which the instructions said you needed to load first so you could get your serial number. The flashing tool actually loads the drivers and tools therefore, all you have to do is run the test.cmd after the drivers are loaded to get the serial number. This is now documented better, also you should not have to save the serial number in the CPUID.txt file, so I removed it.

-- I fixed the checksums during the flashing therefore you do not need to boot to recovery mode and fix them using CWM. Now your tablet will just reboot correctly after the flash.

-- I added into the flash, Busybox and SU tools for you. No need to add them later.

Bottom-line, if you installed V2 there is nothing new. V3 is just for those that struggled getting ADB working for their serial number and those that struggled installing the tools. Also, many people 'freaked' when their tablet didn't boot after the flash, because they did not read. Or they struggled with pushing the correct buttons to get into recovery mode to fix the checksums.

Enjoy,
    TD
    Do I get it right that this backdoor idea will not allow me to upgrade from rooted 3.1 to rooted 3.2 with OTA?

No, the backdoor idea is exactly what it says it is. It is a way to get back into a system after they change security when you install an OTA.

To understand what happens during an OTA, is that it is only doing an update. Meaning they update the /system folder and replace (sometimes only updating) everything in /system/app. They may also update the boot and other areas of the device such as / (root folder). However, they don't wipe it totally clean (or most don't). That's why when you get an OTA, for example, you don't have to type in all your contacts again etc. Or reload all your applications you installed from the Marketplace.

During this update process, the last thing they do is reset all the permissions recursively in the /system folder to their default and in doing so remove the 'sticky bit' that gives you root. Most people consider rooting as loading busybox, su, and a Superuser.apk. If you look after the update, you will see su and busybox (normally) are still loaded, just the permissions have the 'stick bit' removed. The Superuser.apk will be missing because they often replace the /system/app folder.

So, what happens in the Android market, is OEM's fix things and push updates. Fix to WiFi, GPS, NetFlex etc and push an update. After the update, the user finds root (#) not working. So they use the exploit that gave them root and re-root the device. Unfortunately, as fast as developers are finding exploits, OEM's are patching them.

In the ACER 3.0.1 there are several exploits to gain root(#) access that have been removed in 3.2.1. Therefore, if you do the OTA's you loose root and then you try to use your exploit to gain root, you get a surprise. The OEM has patched that hole.

So, what you do is create a backdoor that allows you to gain root access outside the normal /system folder and 'sticky bit'. Therefore, when an update occurs, you can get back in as root.

Now, for the ACER. If you have an a500 ACER 3.0.1 Stock, then you can gain root by simply using GingerBreak (Iconiaroot for example). However, if you take OTA's you will loose root and GingerBreak will no longer work. So, since you have root, you create a backdoor, now when you apply the OTA's and it removes the GingerBreak exploit; all you have to do is use your backdoor to get back in as root and set back up bussybox, su, and Superuser.apk.

== Now the current state of the a500 ACER ===
    Earlier versions of the a500 had exploits that we used to gain root. These exploits were all removed in 3.2x. What people found out, was that if they had root they lost it once they upgraded. Or, if they bought it new, and it had 3.2x there was no way to root it.

Therefore, the only solution, at first was to rollback your device to an earlier version that allowed rooting and to stay there or use CWM to apply a modified update of 3.2x with root. Using CWM is a major tool used to replace ROM's or replace with custom ROM's.

However, now the catch 22. In 3.2x, ACER locked the bootloader and by doing so, it prevents you from installing CWM. Because you cannot install CWM, you cannot install custom ROM's or custom updates.

3.2x closed all known exploits, but ACER left the ability to rollback to an earlier version. If they would not have done that, then we'd be stuck (screwed). So, you basically have to rollback to a version you could exploit and then stay there, or load a custom ROM, or install CWM and install a modified update.zip to get you to 3.2x.

If you don't want to stay there and want to apply OTA's then you have to build a backdoor so you can get back in after the OTA's remove your normal root(#).

Hope this helps,
    TD