Is this same for everyone or just my phone?

Search This thread

Maxman190

Jul 29, 2009
Alright, so I had HTC EVO 4g for around 3-4 years and the lag and limited storage made me switch to s5. My evo was custom rom based on gingerbread. My experience so far with this phone is not going so well. "TouchWiz" constanly pops up saying that it was stopped or not responding or something, wasn't paying attention to what the message said. Android browser keeps crashing when I try to close a tab or go to a different tab. Mobile signal connection seems worse than my bro's s4. The compass direction is way off, I've tried many apps and tried calibrating, but it doesn't work. When I do try the compass, the readings are always shakey even though it was on flat surface. Whereas my old phine has a steady and rock solid compass reading. There's no built in sensor calibration or test app. Battery drain is insane. Is everyone experiencing this or is it just me? I'm getting so irritated. Only good point is the hardware, way more smoother and faster than my evo. Also when I click home button, there's like a 1 second delay before it actually goes to home, unlike my old phone where it just instantly responds.

Last edited:

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
You may have gotten a bad phone. Have u tried a factory reset? If you are on 4g LTE your signal bars show your data connection not your signal strength. Switcj over to cdma only so u only get 3g and your signal bars will show stronger. As far as battey life I get amazing battery life in my phone. I have yet to run my battery dead in a day. I have seen as high as 5 hours screen on time with 20% battery left.

If a factory reset doesn't work I'd take it back for a new phone.

Hope ya get it sorted out

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Maxman190

Jul 29, 2009
You may have gotten a bad phone. Have u tried a factory reset? If you are on 4g LTE your signal bars show your data connection not your signal strength. Switcj over to cdma only so u only get 3g and your signal bars will show stronger. As far as battey life I get amazing battery life in my phone. I have yet to run my battery dead in a day. I have seen as high as 5 hours screen on time with 20% battery left.

If a factory reset doesn't work I'd take it back for a new phone.

Hope ya get it sorted out

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yeah, I know all about the signal bars and stuff. Only with my 4G, the signal bars show a lot stronger, when outside of course. When I'm outside and tried 3G, it gets like 0-1 and it's still cant connect me to google.com even though on SignalCheck the 3G signal is like 85%. At home I have to use my WiFi, otherwise I won't get a connection at all. I don't know if I can take it back for a new phone... It's rooted since day 1 and knox is tripped and it's been way past the return period. Would factory reset likely solve all the problem or is it just like a 1 in a million chance of it working?

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Alright, so I had HTC EVO 4g for around 3-4 years and the lag and limited storage made me switch to s5. My evo was custom rom based on gingerbread. My experience so far with this phone is not going so well. "TouchWiz" constanly pops up saying that it was stopped or not responding or something, wasn't paying attention to what the message said. Android browser keeps crashing when I try to close a tab or go to a different tab. Mobile signal connection seems worse than my bro's s4. The compass direction is way off, I've tried many apps and tried calibrating, but it doesn't work. When I do try the compass, the readings are always shakey even though it was on flat surface. Whereas my old phine has a steady and rock solid compass reading. There's no built in sensor calibration or test app. Battery drain is insane. Is everyone experiencing this or is it just me? I'm getting so irritated. Only good point is the hardware, way more smoother and faster than my evo. Also when I click home button, there's like a 1 second delay before it actually goes to home, unlike my old phone where it just instantly responds.

There have been many reports of peeps getting devices with wonky stuff going on. I think Sprint or whoever is getting devices back and just throwing right back in the box without checking, or something along those lines. Definitely try doing a factory reset. If that doesn't work, take it into a Sprint store and make them fix or give ya another cause what it is doing is not normal for the S5. Battery life for me has been just as good or better than my S4. TW has been solid without any crashes.

Stryke_the_Orc

Retired Senior Moderator
Oct 14, 2010
Maras Dantia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20
Thread cleaned. Warranty fraud is illegal. If you came here and rooted your device, and something broke, pay the costs of the replacement. There are disclaimers all over this site explaining that using these items WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND ANYTHING YOU DO, YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Maxman190

Jul 29, 2009
Thread cleaned. Warranty fraud is illegal. If you came here and rooted your device, and something broke, pay the costs of the replacement. There are disclaimers all over this site explaining that using these items WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND ANYTHING YOU DO, YOU DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

My apologies, there is a misunderstanding. I meant to file a claim through TEP and pay a deductible to get a new phone. Warranty would require me to send in my phone which I could not do if I reported it lost.

Edit: What are the actual chances that I got a bad phone?

Last edited:

jbadboy2007

Sep 22, 2010
Lansing MI
Definitely a bad phone or just need to wipe data and wipe device. I have not seen any issues with this device other than the alarm clock icon disappearing

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda premium