[APP][OPEN SOURCE][4.1+] Memento Namedays - A modern Namedays app

Search This thread

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens

Memento Namedays

The sweetest Nameday calendar for Android​

Designed as simple an app can be, Memento is the most user friendly and fast birthday and nameday app for your device. With a quick glimpse you can easily see the upcoming events of your loved ones for the entire year.

Features
• Display all events of the entire year
• Nameday support for multiple locales
• Bank holidays (Greek only for now)
• Add birthdays to existing or new contacts
• Search for birthdays and namedays
• Customisable Widget for your home screen, displaying the upcoming events.
• Daily reminder for the events of the day
• 100% free. No ads, no annoying messages
• 7 different themes to choose from
• Modern Material Design
• Frequent updates for improvements and features

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alexstyl.specialdates
Source code on Github: https://github.com/alexstyl/memento-namedays

Last edited:
Reactions: Rajesh_m

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
version 1.4.0 is now available for download!

The new version fetches your Facebook Friends images, and introduces more colorful icons for contacts with no set image.

Grab the update here: http://goo.gl/jG2h5k

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
Version 1.5.0 is now available for download

Days now supports contact names writen in Greeklish and can now properly display namedays for those contacts!

Rajesh_m

May 24, 2013
Kerala
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Tried the app! Very promising! It's stylish and very fast! Thanks!

Can you please add an option to backup the contents to sdcard, and also a search function inside the app.

And why does the app needs to read my contacts? And make an option to download details from fb and then sign out. Now if I signout, I can no longer see the birthday list. Anyway promising app. :)

And I couldn't understand the name days, can you please make it in English. Thank you

Reactions: runningdap

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
The app needs access to your contacts in order to read their birthdays and display them in the list (given you have birthdays stored in your device's contacts ofc :p).

Since you get some goodies when you are logged in via Facebook, such as send a facebook message or open their wall, the app requires you to be logged in. But I'll look into your suggestion, and see what I can do!

Lastly, search is coming in a later update of the app. This and the ability to manually add entries into the app is two of the most important feature that need to be implemented!

Many thanks for the feedback!

PS: The app's namedays feature is currently supported only for Greek Orthodox names. How is the Play Store in terms of nameday apps for your country btw?

Rajesh_m

May 24, 2013
Kerala
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Sorry for the very late reply..

Oh, I thought it only uses fb to get the birthday list.

And I have no idea what name days means! ;) well, I can simply disable it, so no problem there.

And please add an option to delete entries if possible, thank you :)

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens

And I have no idea what name days means! ;) well, I can simply disable it, so no problem there.

In Greece, we celebrate each person's name in a set day(or days) of the year, so each person "celebrates" two times a year, one for their birthday and one for their name day :p It's some sort of tradition here

I am currently working on redesigning the app to match all requested features and needs I've got so far. Luckily I started working on the redesign just about when the Material Design guidelines came out, so the app will get the Material Design treat soonish :highfive: (as soon as I am done with my vacations that is)

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
Days has been updated to version 1.6

With Google releasing their new design language and getting ready for the next version of Android, a lots of design changes happened to the app!

New icons, minnor tweeks here and there, and a revamp of the selected date screen with bigger, more beautiful contact images!

Get the update here: http://goo.gl/ZQiAsi

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
Great and stylish app!

Glad you like it!

Plz add age of contact
Currently the app displays the age of the contacts that have known year of birth. The ability to edit contacts from the within the app is one of the main features that are currently being worked on though. Unfortunately, it might take a while since I am currently starting my masters degree and haven't got a strong machine with me :/

And one bug: can not change reminder sound
Nice catch. I'm working on it and I'll upload the fix as soon as it's ready!

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
Version 1.7
• Search : you can now search your contacts birthdays and namedays.
• A new notification for the namedays of day has been added.
• Fixed an issue with some Greek namedays that were previously miscalculated. Also, more Greek namedays were added.
• You can now switch Namedays Calendar between Greek and Slovak.
• Removed Facebook sync, due to some change made by Facebook.
• Various small visual improvements.

Grab the update here:
https://goo.gl/1Tj1fn

Apologies that took so long, I am currently doing my Master's degree and it has been a really busy year. Hopefully after September, I will be able to be more active with the updates again :)

GCalzo

Feb 24, 2015
Reggio Emilia
Since I'm pretty new on Android, I was really surprised that there is no system support for the Birthday's Calendar!
I'm currently testing 2 apps, your has the neatest interface! :good:
I have a few suggestions:
  • composed names with a blank inside (like mine Gian Maria) are shown with the first word only (in my case only Gian)
  • tapping an event will open the system Contact's app instead of asking which one to use when more than one is installed. I do use True Phone and other apps ask me which Contact's app should be used
  • showing all the nameday (latest feature added!) should be a user selection into the configuration...

Addendum: I didn't found the widget on my MotoG with Lollipop...

Last edited:

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
Since I'm pretty new on Android, I was really surprised that there is no system support for the Birthday's Calendar!
I'm currently testing 2 apps, your has the neatest interface! :good:
I have a few suggestions:
  • composed names with a blank inside (like mine Gian Maria) are shown with the first word only (in my case only Gian)
  • tapping an event will open the system Contact's app instead of asking which one to use when more than one is installed. I do use True Phone and other apps ask me which Contact's app should be used
  • showing all the nameday (latest feature added!) should be a user selection into the configuration...

Addendum: I didn't found the widget on my MotoG with Lollipop...

Thank you for the suggestions mate!
1) Is 'Gian Maria' a first name of a contact or a full name?
2) I'll have a look at that app. They I did that should open the contact details with any related app installed. Could you please mention the names of the other apps you have so that I can test it out? EDIT: I see what you mean. I am assuming that you are using Lolipop? I am using something that is called Quick Contact Badge. In earlier versions of Android that badge looked different compared to the built-in contacts app, and hence the confusion. Already changed in the next update.
3) I agree, and will be available in the next update :)

About the widget, some people have reported issues with the widget, so it is under investigation. For the time being, please make sure the app is installed in the device's memory and not in the SD card (some people tend to forget that :p )

Last edited:

GCalzo

Feb 24, 2015
Reggio Emilia
Thank you for the suggestions mate!

1) Yes, it's saved as "First Name", so two words in one field... ;)
2) Yes, my MotoG 2014 is running Lollipop and I confirm that now it opens TP's Contact app! :good: (running v1.9.2)

Yes, the app is on the internal memory. BTW Lollipop does enable the option to move it to SD... :) I think there is an attribute to set so to not let the user move it, I have a few apps like that with the move to SD button disabled.
If you have some "debug version" that want me to test on my phone just send to me!

PS: has you have seen the Italian translation is now complete... ;)

runningdap

May 9, 2010
Athens
Version 1.12 is now live!

• Facebook Friends are (almost) back! The feature is experimental for know. You can access it through the settings. Let me know if there are problems with the feature
• New app icon!
• Lots of stability improvements and performance improvements.

Grab the update here:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Memento Namedays

The sweetest Nameday calendar for Android​

Designed as simple an app can be, Memento is the most user friendly and fast birthday and nameday app for your device. With a quick glimpse you can easily see the upcoming events of your loved ones for the entire year.

Features
    • Display all events of the entire year
    • Nameday support for multiple locales
    • Bank holidays (Greek only for now)
    • Add birthdays to existing or new contacts
    • Search for birthdays and namedays
    • Customisable Widget for your home screen, displaying the upcoming events.
    • Daily reminder for the events of the day
    • 100% free. No ads, no annoying messages
    • 7 different themes to choose from
    • Modern Material Design
    • Frequent updates for improvements and features

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alexstyl.specialdates
    Source code on Github: https://github.com/alexstyl/memento-namedays
    Tried the app! Very promising! It's stylish and very fast! Thanks!

Can you please add an option to backup the contents to sdcard, and also a search function inside the app.

And why does the app needs to read my contacts? And make an option to download details from fb and then sign out. Now if I signout, I can no longer see the birthday list. Anyway promising app. :)

And I couldn't understand the name days, can you please make it in English. Thank you
    The app needs access to your contacts in order to read their birthdays and display them in the list (given you have birthdays stored in your device's contacts ofc :p).

Since you get some goodies when you are logged in via Facebook, such as send a facebook message or open their wall, the app requires you to be logged in. But I'll look into your suggestion, and see what I can do!

Lastly, search is coming in a later update of the app. This and the ability to manually add entries into the app is two of the most important feature that need to be implemented!

Many thanks for the feedback!

PS: The app's namedays feature is currently supported only for Greek Orthodox names. How is the Play Store in terms of nameday apps for your country btw?

In Greece, we celebrate each person's name in a set day(or days) of the year, so each person "celebrates" two times a year, one for their birthday and one for their name day :p It's some sort of tradition here

I am currently working on redesigning the app to match all requested features and needs I've got so far. Luckily I started working on the redesign just about when the Material Design guidelines came out, so the app will get the Material Design treat soonish :highfive: (as soon as I am done with my vacations that is)
    Version 1.9
    • All the namedays of the year appear in the list with the upcoming events, even for the days that no contact has a nameday that day.

Grab the update here: