[Guide] How to encoding HD Video for Windows Phone 7

Search This thread

rvmax

Jul 10, 2008
Encoding HD Video for Windows Phone 7

Zune offers by default an automatic conversion of videos for Windows Phone 7. However the quality is not always what you want, the encoding time is endless and often lacks many options such as subtitles.

This guide was produced for encoding high definition video 720p or 1080p to Windows Phone 7. You can use the same method to encode videos lower quality but the result won't be conclusive.

Software & Encoding Setup

Many programs exist to encode each with their advantages and disadvantages. Some are paying others do not.

VidCoder offers all the advantages: free, easy to use while providing many functionalities.

The encoding is configured with the following parameters:

• Container
    mp4 File

• Video
    800 x 480 resolution (default for Windows Phone 7) in order to have 1:1 pixel ratio
    Codec : H264 2 Pass
    Bitrate 1200 kbps

• Audio
    AAC Stereo 128 kbps

Experienced users can manually adjusted the settings.

Install & Configuration

1. Download VidCoder from official webpage : http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/

VidCoder-0.9.0-x86.exe or VidCoder-0.9.0-x64.exe

2. Install application with standard option
  3. Download and unzip from this topic the xml configuration file : Windows Phone 7.xml
  4. Start VidCoder
  5. Click "Tools" and "Import Preset.."

26290134.jpg

6. Select the "Windows Phone 7.xml" file and click OK
  7. The new Preset "Windows Phone 7" is used by default

57979729.jpg

Encoding

1. Drag & Drop any video in VidCoder

71823593.jpg

2. After tools detect your file add subtitles if you want. click Edit on subtitles line
  3. Select your subtitles or import srt file and click "Burned In" to add it on video

87520616.jpg

4. Check Preview if you want and click Encode
  5. Send video to your mobile with Zune (zune won't convert it again)

Done :)

vlcsnap2011052714h04m50.png

You can now see the Best Video Quality Ever on Windows Phone 7 !

Q&A

• My video is not recognized after drag & drop
    Before Drag & Drop try to remux your video with mkvmerge Gui : mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.8.0-setup.exe

• My subtitles doesn't work
    Try to convert them to ass and integer in video with mkvmerge Gui

Last edited:

rvmax

Jul 10, 2008
I used HDConvertToX before VidCoder.

This application is also very effective but much more complicated for an equivalent result. Drag & drop and direct dvd or bluray encode of vidcoder is very cool.

If you want to limite video size change the video bitrate settings....

Last edited:

evoga

Apr 25, 2007
I tried Vidcoder with your wp7 presets and with Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 and It was terrible, the sound slowly goes out of sync and the framerate lags.

Using Zune to convert the film and everything was ok so I'm still sticking to Zune for the moment. Thanks for the information though.

rvmax

Jul 10, 2008
I tried Vidcoder with your wp7 presets and with Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 and It was terrible, the sound slowly goes out of sync and the framerate lags.

Using Zune to convert the film and everything was ok so I'm still sticking to Zune for the moment. Thanks for the information though.

I watch all my series and some movies.

2 hours action movies without lag on samsung omnia 7. Check your source video.
WP7 can play 2500 kbps video. We are far under this number.

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
Handbrake

I started using Handbrake to shrink my movie file. Unfortunately, it still takes forever for Zune to transfer. What are the transfer times you guys are getting using this program?

mrdaco

Jan 21, 2010
If I select external .srt subtitle, there is no option to select "burn in subtitle". So subtitles are not visible.

argentocruz

Aug 15, 2008
Central Coast
Nice tutorial there... I'm running some random vids through to check out the quality...

I normally use AVS video converter and I usually encode to 1500 or 3000 bitrate depending on the source and what the vid is... I did some tests on the battle scenes of avatar and I'm sure the 3000 bitrate was noticeably better... When I play people the avatar clip peoples jaws always drop...

Either way it seems an easy to use app... Nice one...

Last edited:

rvmax

Jul 10, 2008
I started using Handbrake to shrink my movie file. Unfortunately, it still takes forever for Zune to transfer. What are the transfer times you guys are getting using this program?

In Zune you must see "Syncing" if you see converting it's because your custom encoding preset are not compatible with device. What settings are you using ?

If I select external .srt subtitle, there is no option to select "burn in subtitle". So subtitles are not visible.

In this case merge the sub (ASS) with video before with mkvmerge. It's 5 min more to go.
Converte srt to ass : http://atelier.u-sub.net/converter/

Nice tutorial there... I'm running some random vids through to check out the quality...

I normally use AVS video converter and I usually encode to 1500 or 3000 bitrate depending on the source and what the vid is... I did some tests on the battle scenes of avatar and I'm sure the 3000 bitrate was noticeably better... When I play people the avatar clip peoples jaws always drop...

Either way it seems an easy to use app... Nice one...

1500 or 3000 will always give better results. However on a 4" screen, difference is really minimal above 1000 kbps.

Everything is a question of quality / size as well. Personally my action movies in 1200 kbps are very good and have 1 GB to 2 hours of footage:)
And for series between 150 and 600 MB.

Last edited:

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
In Zune you must see "Syncing" if you see converting it's because your custom encoding preset are not compatible with device. What settings are you using ?

I use the Iphone Preset. And it does say Syncing and not converting. I've had it take over an hour to sync a movie, I spent three hours in Handbrake converting

arturobandini

Sep 23, 2008
Paris
What a waste of time WP7 is
What a waste of time Zune is....

I don't want to be obliged to encode or convert my movies, etc.

I just want to drag & drop my AVI movie files to my phone and watch them immediately, like I always did before with WinMo.

Why WP7 is still not supporting DivX|avi file format?
And let me avoid Zune. It wastes my time and does a bad job.

efjay

Nov 18, 2004

I just want to drag & drop my AVI movie files to my phone and watch them immediately, like I always did before with WinMo.

Then use an OS that meets your need to drag and drop files directly to the device. Far from a waste of time because it doesnt work for you.

thekiller99

Feb 9, 2009

"I just want to drag & drop" Rofl? Get off your lazy ass. You are the kind of people that just leech off others and don't appreciate what other people contributed to this community. Maybe you should've done some research before you got the phone. The reason why Microsoft wants us to use Zune is that they can make more profit, thats how the business world works. If it wastes your time then just watch it on your Pc then, no one is stopping you from doing that.

Back to the point the converter is very nice however it takes around 50-60mins to convert the HD video(40mins duration) which does seem to be quite a large amount of time but overall quality is good :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Encoding HD Video for Windows Phone 7

Zune offers by default an automatic conversion of videos for Windows Phone 7. However the quality is not always what you want, the encoding time is endless and often lacks many options such as subtitles.

This guide was produced for encoding high definition video 720p or 1080p to Windows Phone 7. You can use the same method to encode videos lower quality but the result won't be conclusive.

Software & Encoding Setup

Many programs exist to encode each with their advantages and disadvantages. Some are paying others do not.

VidCoder offers all the advantages: free, easy to use while providing many functionalities.

The encoding is configured with the following parameters:

• Container
      mp4 File

• Video
      800 x 480 resolution (default for Windows Phone 7) in order to have 1:1 pixel ratio
      Codec : H264 2 Pass
      Bitrate 1200 kbps

• Audio
      AAC Stereo 128 kbps

Experienced users can manually adjusted the settings.

Install & Configuration

1. Download VidCoder from official webpage : http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/

VidCoder-0.9.0-x86.exe or VidCoder-0.9.0-x64.exe

2. Install application with standard option
    3. Download and unzip from this topic the xml configuration file : Windows Phone 7.xml
    4. Start VidCoder
    5. Click "Tools" and "Import Preset.."

26290134.jpg

6. Select the "Windows Phone 7.xml" file and click OK
    7. The new Preset "Windows Phone 7" is used by default

57979729.jpg

Encoding

1. Drag & Drop any video in VidCoder

71823593.jpg

2. After tools detect your file add subtitles if you want. click Edit on subtitles line
    3. Select your subtitles or import srt file and click "Burned In" to add it on video

87520616.jpg

4. Check Preview if you want and click Encode
    5. Send video to your mobile with Zune (zune won't convert it again)

Done :)

vlcsnap2011052714h04m50.png

You can now see the Best Video Quality Ever on Windows Phone 7 !

Q&A

• My video is not recognized after drag & drop
      Before Drag & Drop try to remux your video with mkvmerge Gui : mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.8.0-setup.exe

• My subtitles doesn't work
      Try to convert them to ass and integer in video with mkvmerge Gui