[DEV] HTC One X firmware | Partitions Info | [20.04.2012]

Search This thread

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
NVIDIA’s Project Kal-El processor implements a novel new Variable Symmetric Multiprocessing(vSMP)technology.Not previously disclosed publicly, vSMP includes a fifth CPU core (the “Companion” core) built using a special low power silicon process that executes tasks at low frequency for active standby mode, music playback, and even video playback. The four main “quad” cores are built in a standard silicon process to reach higher frequencies, while consuming lower power than dual core solutions for many tasks. Allfive CPU cores are identical ARM Cortex A9 CPUs, and are individually enabled and disabled (via aggressive power gating) based on the work load.

I think that it's pretty clear that there really is 5 cores :)

Source : http://www.nvidia.fr/content/PDF/tegra_white_papers/tegra-whitepaper-0911a.pdf

mike1986.

I think it's more possible that this 5th core is responsible for events that non of those 4 cores are suppose to take care off. I think it's taking care of low level processes, leaving pure OS to be taken care off by 4 main cores.

That will also explain why cpu0 is online all the time as well.

Screen OFF:
Companion core taking care of low level processes
cpu0 taking care of Android processes while system is in deep sleep state

Screen ON:
Companion core is still taking care of low level processes
cpu0 and cpu1 are online all the time taking care off Android OS
cpu2 and cpu3 are online ad-hoc on heavy load.

joplayer

Aug 1, 2008
Valence
The Battery Savercore is used primarily when the mobile device is in active standby and performing background tasks such as Emailsyncs, Twitter updates, Facebook updates etc. It is also usedfor applications that do not require significant CPU processing power,such as streaming audio, offline audio,and both online or offline video playback. Note that both audio and video playback, in addition tovideo encoding,are largely processed by hardware-basedencoders and decoders.
Unlike the Battery Savercore, the main CPU cores need to operate at very high frequencies to deliver high performance.Therefore they are built on a fast process technologywhich allows them to scale up to very high operating frequenciesat lower operating voltage ranges. Thus the main cores are able to deliver high performance without significant increases in dynamic power consumption.

From what I understand there, the core we call cpu0 does not really need to always be on. And that would be weird because how would tegra 3 save energy this way...
There must be something we are missing. ;)

Source : http://www.nvidia.fr/content/PDF/te...ecture-for-Low-Power-and-High-Performance.pdf

mike1986.

About lp2 state:

init.endeavoru.common.rc
Code:
write /sys/module/cpuidle/parameters/lp2_in_idle 1

Also something funny :D

Code:
# Increase read ahead size of mmc block devices from default(128) to [COLOR="Red"]1MB[/COLOR]
# Reduces power comsuption during video playback from sdcards
write /sys/block/mmcblk0/queue/read_ahead_kb [COLOR="red"]2048[/COLOR]
write /sys/block/mmcblk1/queue/read_ahead_kb [COLOR="red"]2048[/COLOR]

Last edited:

tids2k

Apr 21, 2009
Sydney
Google Pixel 6 Pro
it seems that the sasme core pipe is hidden in lg optimus 4x hd as well, since the only four active cores displayed in the debug app is 4 rather than 5, and hence the fifth although active appears to be dormant.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
i think ill lock my decision for the One X purchase now, simply because im so interested in the Tegra3 concept

seriously out of the box approach, you have to at least give Nvidia that, this will lead to many interesting development scenarios

most reviewers and users of transformer prime confirmed better than expected battery time

its very hard to imagine they went through the trouble of producing a fifth core as well as the yields difficulties for such design, without a good reason, hek they patented the damn thing

we will see

speaking of nvidia....their Kepler GPU is craaaaaaaaaaaazy 1536 unified cuda cores, it makes me cry :( this will do magic for Mental Ray RT

Last edited:

jagaroth

May 23, 2011
Isn't this simply an implementation of the big.LITTLE processing concept ARM have been talking about for a while.

A high performance core, even in idle, will draw more power than an energy optimised low performance chip.

The 5th core is almost a sacrificial unit. It is there so you can receive calls, texts, emails and play music at a very low power drain.

When you do anything more taxing it is disconnected and the main CPU cluster takes over.

From memory the main CPU cluster is an A15 and the low power unit an A7.

No matter how much you poke around you won't see both units together as its delt with within the CPU.

EDIT: After posting I find the Arm article, DUH. --> http://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/bigLITTLEprocessing.php

Last edited:
Reactions: hamdir

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
great info. glad to see another tegra3 device out now. tegra3 works great on prime. that 5th. companion core barely sips battery juice on standby and low level processes.

to the one person who asked if all 5 cores can be online at once, the answer is no. Nvidia made it this way. they have a patent pending technology on the way it switches cores. low level processes and deep sleep handled by companion core. as soon as a task/app/process demands more power, it instantly switches on the higher powered core or cores.

I have the updated whitepapers on tegra3 and another whitepaper on benefits of multicore mobile CPU. Ill attach them to this post. they are in a zip file since the PDF file size exceeds what xda will let you upload.

hopefully with more developer eyes on tegra3, everyone can benefit. Prime is a great device and I'm sure this HTC phone with tegra3 will be blazing fast. we already hitting 1.7Ghz overclock on prime now. I think someone working on 1.8Ghz. would love to see this reach 2Ghz n be stable and not a major hit on battery(lol).

edit: OP, do you have a transformer prime also? PRIME REVOLUTION ROM ;)

Attachments

• Benefits-of-Multi-core-CPUs-in-Mobile-Devices_Ver1.2.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 45
  • Variable-SMP-A-Multi-Core-CPU-Architecture-for-Low-Power-and-High-Performance.zip
    897.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: hamdir

blubbers

Jan 8, 2011
wikipedia describes it pretty well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra

Tegra 3 (Kal-El) series

The Tegra 3 is functionally a SoC with a quad-core CPU, but includes a fifth "companion" core. While all cores are Cortex-A9s, the companion core is manufactured with a special low power silicon process that uses less power at low clock rate but does not scale well to high clock rates; hence it is limited to 500 MHz. There is also special logic to allow running state to be quickly and transparently transferred between the companion core and one of the normal cores. The goal is for a mobile phone or tablet to be able to power down all the normal cores and run on only the companion core, using comparatively little power, during standby mode or when otherwise underutilizing the CPU. According to Nvidia, this includes playing music or even video content.[19] Compared to Tegra 2, the ARM Cortex-A9s in Tegra 3 now supports ARMs SIMD extension, marketed as NEON. It can also output video up to 2560×1600 resolution and supports 1080p MPEG-4 AVC/h.264 40 Mbps High-Profile, VC1-AP, and DivX 5/6 video decode.[20]

i guess the companion core does the SMP scheduling and presents the other cores virtually to the OS, and there is no need for the OS to know about the companion core

jagaroth

May 23, 2011
Interesting to see NVidias take on low power. Different from Qualcomms but along the same lines as the ARM road map.

With Qualcomms dual core chip in the Sensation in low activity mode the second core is like a USB memory stick, when its not needed it is completely removed from the system.

NVidia are closer to ARM in having a low power core for menial tasks the is switched out when demand rises.

Not sure how they can keep a patent on this with ARM implementing it on future processors unless it is limited to A9 and ARM are opening up A15 -> A7.

Regardless I want one to play with.

silent_killa

Jul 23, 2005
I think since the 5th core seamlessly takes over and is invisible to the OS it will probably just read as CPU0 (just an idea)

Maybe we should split this discussion into a new thread, think Mike's OP has been well and truely highjacked ;)

I too am really interested in tegra 3 technology and excited to see how it develops. Might have to upgrade my Xoom to a Prime as well :)

knoobie

May 12, 2011
Since the companion core is only active during standby, would too many background tasks such as sync or apps like task panel causes your phone to be not sleeping in the companion core state??

I believe there is a benchmark for it to fully utilise the companion core, so how could we control our uses so we can make the best out of the battery life?

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA

blubbers

Jan 8, 2011
i've looked into the 1.26 ruu, from the init.rc of the ramdisk:
# Right now vendor lives on the same filesystem as system,
# but someday that may change.
symlink /system/vendor /vendor

so it looks like the radio is integrated into the system.img now instead of being flashed seperatly

blubbers

Jan 8, 2011
On the sensation, p17 is mounted there containing the firmware. But yes, i've extracted the system.img and there is nothing related to the radio there. So, where is the radio?

Designator

Jul 20, 2008
Oldenburg
www.mbtab.de
OKay, I just got my One X and it is by far the best device I´ve ever owned so far !

But I dropped by to tell you guys that my HBOOT version is 0.43.xxxx can´t remember exactly at the moment. Does that might help for a S-OFF unlock ?

Greetz Designator!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread's content might brick your device.
    This is not a ROM thread, so I'm not going to answer again and again and again the same questions over and over and over again.
    You can't read - quit this thread now. You can read but you can't understand more or less simple things - quit as well.
    You can read and you understand things, but you are too lazy to read the whole thread before asking the question - watch this first. And quit.

This is what we know so far:

index1.php

Some conclusions:

1. It's very nice to see that finally someone separated "internal sd card" from userdata partition. So it's no longer linked to /data/media, as it used to be on Asus Transformer, Transformer Prime, Galaxy Nexus etc. but it's a separate partition now - mmcblk0p14. Basically the biggest benefit from that is that now formatting userdata partition will no longer erase virtual sd card content.
    2. It seems that NFC and WLAN deep settings are stored on separate partitions: mmcblk0p1 (wlan) and ? (NFC).
    3. There is a 5th PHYSICAL core, but it's invisible to the system. Android only sees the 4 main cores. The 5th companion core is not controlled by Android. Tegra 3 architecture itself handles the load balancing between the main cores and the companion core. (Thanks to Diamondback)
    4. There is no radio.img in current RUUs.

Download firmware for HTC One X (PJ4610000)

Firmware from 1.28.401.9 RUU
    --- MD5 checksum: 83375DF988C86E92417AA8949012A1C2 *PJ46IMG.zip ---

Supported devices:
    --- CID's added by users requests are marked with green color ---
    cidnum: HTC__001
    cidnum: HTC__E11
    cidnum: HTC__203
    cidnum: HTC__Y13
    cidnum: HTC__102
    cidnum: HTC__405
    cidnum: HTC__304
    cidnum: HTC__032
    cidnum: HTC__J15
    cidnum: HTC__A07
    cidnum: HTC__016
    cidnum: HTC__M27

Why it's better then full RUU:

1. It doesn't contain stock recovery
    2. It doesn't contain stock, non rooted system
    3. It doesn't contain secured boot.img
    4. It wont wipe your data partition
    5. It's much smaller :D

PJ46IMG.zip content: [UPDATE: 25.03.2012]

android-info.txt - updated [20.04.2012]
    bct.img - updated [25.03.2012]
    rcdata.img - updated [20.04.2012]

How to flash:

1. Check your CID using fastboot getvar cid and MID using fastboot getvar mid
    2a. If your CID and MID are supported by default, navigate to point 3.
    2b. If your CID or MID is not supported by default, do this: (you do it at your own risk)
    2c. Open PJ46IMG.zip (don't extract it)
    2d. Open android-info.txt in text editor
    2e. Add your cidnum: <your CID> or modelid: <your MID> to the list, save file and close archive
    3. Place PJ46IMG.zip on your SD card
    4. Boot your device holding power button + vol down button
    5. Follow instructions on the screen

Additional information:

1. Flash above firmware at your own risk!
    2. It's recommended to flash it before flashing custom ROM based on proper RUU!
    3. Unlocking via htcdev.com will change your CID number into "none".

4. RUU variants:
    x.xx.61.x - Orange UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.75.x - Orange ES (Spain)
    x.xx.110.x - T-Mobile UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.111.x - T-Mobile DE (Germany)
    x.xx.112.x - T-Mobile AT (Austria)
    x.xx.114.x - T-Mobile NL (Netherlands)
    x.xx.118.x - T-Mobile PL (Poland)
    x.xx.161.x - Vodafone UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.166.x - Vodafone CH-DE (Switzerland - Germany)
    x.xx.163.x - Vodafone FR (France)
    x.xx.169.x - Vodafone AT (Austria)
    x.xx.206.x - O2 UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.207.x - O2 DE (Germany)
    x.xx.401.x - World Wide English
    x.xx.707.x - Asia WWE (World Wide English)
    x.xx.720.x - Asia India
    x.xx.771.x - Hutchison 3G UK (United Kingdom)
    x.xx.862.x - Voda-Hutch AU (Australia)
    x.xx.980.x - Optus AU (Australia)
    x.xx.1400.x - HTC China

Please post here your findings, thoughts or experience with after flashing images listed above.
    Here are some details about CPU kernel settings:

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies

51000 | 102000 | 204000 | 340000 | 475000 | 640000 | 760000 | 880000 | 1000000 | 1100000 | 1200000 | 1400000 | 1500000

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors

interactive conservative ondemand powersave userspace performance

Some details about how Tegra 3 works on HTC One X:

1. While screen is turned OFF only cpu0 is online. cpu1, cpu2 and cpu3 are all offline.
    2. I think that cpu2 and cpu3 are online only on heavy load. That needs to be confirmed.
    3. While screen is turned OFF only interactive governor is available.
    4. When battery is < 20%, CPU downclocks to 1.0 GHz.

Fastboot commands that doesn't work without S-OFF:

• fastboot flash rcdata rcdata.img
    • fastboot oem writesecureflag
    • fastboot oem writecid
    Yup just found out that companion core is cpu0 (explains why cpu0 is on all the time)
    There is only 4 physical cores
    Wow thought they had 5 physical cores, guess not lol

EDIT: ill double check to confirm

EDIT: yup thats what it looks like
    The saving power core is cpu0, it enters LP2 state when saving power

No that is wrong. There is a fith PHYSICAL core but it's invisble to the system. Android only sees the four main cores.
    The fith companion core is NOT, i repeat NOT, controlled by android. The tegra architecture itself handels to load balacing between the main cores and the companion core.
    YOu won't find any traces of this companion core in the system.
    Awesome news, what are your plans?

Kernel and ROM?

Kernel, recovery, etc... Though I was disapppointed to see that 2.6.3x kernel was used by HTC...

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA
    i have s-off.
    phone installed right RUU. but does not start

would you have really s-off then you wouldn't have orang cid ....pls post a photo of you "s-offed" phone