Flashable USB OTG Modules THAT WORK! (Now Including Ethernet Support)

Search This thread

je2854

Oct 3, 2010
Houston, TX
I am not responsible for your bricked phone/SD. If blame me I will laugh at you.
You should know by now the disclaimer and blah blahs!

I have looked EVERYWHERE (google and fastboot is your friend) for these and tested multiple times
different modules and found the ones that work. They only program -should- be needed as it is the only
one I use is a program that is free on the Google Play Store is Paragan NTFS&HFS+ Program. *Root of course*

I have tested this on my phone itself and I am using my external mouse,
keyboard and external drive as we speak!

My personal set-up is a Targus PAEPRO090 so called "docking station" that has
5 USB HiSpeed Ports
LAN Adapter
Printer Port
Serial Port
3.5 mm Audio Jack (although I have yet to get it to work)

What this does

INSTALLS:

FUSE driver (Full NTFS Read Write support for ARM devices)
isofs (To allow mounting ISO and image files)
nls_utf8 (for mounting a CIFS windows share and allows extra features)
NTFS modules (to allow android to mount NTFS)
and a module that allows for NTFS USB mounting

Version 2 has Ethernet Drivers AND my OTG drivers all in one.

If things do not start up (ethernet) go to the terminal and enter

Code:
su
usb_ethernet

Attachments

• ICS-USB-OTG-modules.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,573
  • USB-OTG-modules-v2.zip
    3 MB · Views: 6,181
Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Wolf

vyruz1986

May 5, 2009
Heist op den Berg
Thanks for sharing this!
One question: Can you actually take a regular USB OTG cable (with micro USB on one side and a female 'regular' USB A connector on the other side) like this:
otg_cable_640x360.jpg

And use it to connect e.g. a USB flash drive to your phone?
Because AFAIK the Droid 4 USB port doesn't provide power output, I once tested it with mine with a special splitted USB cable that get's the power elsewhere, which worked, but not with a regular USB OTG cable.

Thanks

dbreezy187

Apr 15, 2012
Somerset
I took the otg cable as shown striped a portion of the plastic back, took a standard charger (5.1v 850 mA) spliced in the red and black works fine with keyboard, mouse and flash drive(for me and my generic three). A powered USB hub works also just phone wont charge with the powered USB hub i have...
...would love to know how to get a dock type reaction when plugged into a powered otg cable without a third party app on a stock d4... ima take my dock apart see how they have it wired...

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkMidnight

je2854

Oct 3, 2010
Houston, TX
I took the otg cable as shown striped a portion of the plastic back, took a standard charger (5.1v 850 mA) spliced in the red and black works fine with keyboard, mouse and flash drive(for me and my generic three). A powered USB hub works also just phone wont charge with the powered USB hub i have...
...would love to know how to get a dock type reaction when plugged into a powered otg cable without a third party app on a stock d4... ima take my dock apart see how they have it wired...

I believe it uses the 5th (pin 4) USB wire that "normally" isnt't used. But when you make the OTG Cable that requires external power make sure you connect up the power to the part you hook your external device and not the side you hook up to your phone... Get what im trying to say? lol

NORMAL
Pin 1: VCC
Pin 2: data-
Pin 3: data+
Pin 4 Not connected/unused/sense
Pin 5: ground

OTG Cable
Pin 4 ground (Pin 5)

dbreezy187

Apr 15, 2012
Somerset
Yes this i understand i have made several otg cables for friends with quick connect power supply for use with a hub.. but a few would like a dock made rather then pay the 90$ i figured i could make one. When plugged into either of the two docks your prompted with a choice for a dock type office, bedside, charge only.. this is what I wish to achieve without any app installed or root as some of my moto friends don't wish to root... I can put a dock together for about 25$ with USB hub, hdmi and audio jack just no reaction from phone when plugged in... would even settle for landscape on home screen when plugged in...thank you kindly for any info... haven't yet had the time to take my two apart...

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
I'm pretty sure the dock is detected by those 4 pins on the bottom right of the battery on the phone; a magnet is placed inside the dock in a spot that would line up with the phone's sensors.

II've never tried to do this but I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

dbreezy187

Apr 15, 2012
Somerset
Ok... so i took a look at the inside of the standard HD dock (no USB hub) it appears that a resistor on pin 4 prior to the ground triggers the dock mode... I was interrupted during the "examination" of the guts so the size of the resistance is not know yet and it appears pins 2, 3, and 5 are split off into the audio jack more details yet to come...

Peeet

Feb 20, 2009
Los Angeles
www.PeteOnline.net
I'm pretty sure the dock is detected by those 4 pins on the bottom right of the battery on the phone; a magnet is placed inside the dock in a spot that would line up with the phone's sensors.

II've never tried to do this but I'm sure it wouldn't be very difficult.

Sent from my XT894 using xda premium

Actually I think those 4 pins are for the inductive charging battery cover option.

zeroktal

Nov 8, 2006
Cable needed

Can anyone point me to an exact place I can buy a cable? I'd prefer one that I can plug into a usb charger on one end, then my phone/usb otg device on the others. I'd appreciate it. I see so many places that say use this cable, then someone says no it doesn't work.

lousou76

Mar 3, 2008
Ok guys I want to share a guid with you on the same subject.

You can find all these modules, programs and instructions HERE.

I have tested the above and are working fine.
I was not able to make the wireless keyboard work though.
They say that you don't need a module for that but as far as I can see the wireless keyboard does not work on my phone.
It did work fine when I had the 2.3.4 with the older usb-hid and usb-keyb modules.

I use these on an Xperia Neon V with ultimate HD v.2.0 ROM and kernel .587
Can anyone test if wireless keyboards work on this setup and confirm?
Mouse works fine. Usb Storage as well.

As for the cable I ordered this one

It has a micro usb female port where you can suppry power using a standard USB charger cable.

zeroktal

Nov 8, 2006
Re: Installable ICS USB OTG Modules THAT WORKS!

Je2854: Cable works perfect, thanks a bunch.

Mr Wolf

Aug 1, 2011
Ok... I'm ready to try!
A dumb question: should META-INF folder be copied in the root folder? And the modules in their path, right?

Last edited:

Mr Wolf

Aug 1, 2011
Many thanks!
Another dumb question: what I flash it with? RSD Lite o Flash recovery? :cyclops:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I believe it uses the 5th (pin 4) USB wire that "normally" isnt't used. But when you make the OTG Cable that requires external power make sure you connect up the power to the part you hook your external device and not the side you hook up to your phone... Get what im trying to say? lol

NORMAL
    Pin 4 Not connected/unused/sense

OTG Cable
    Pin 4 ground (Pin 5)
    I am not responsible for your bricked phone/SD. If blame me I will laugh at you.
    You should know by now the disclaimer and blah blahs!

I have looked EVERYWHERE (google and fastboot is your friend) for these and tested multiple times
    different modules and found the ones that work. They only program -should- be needed as it is the only
    one I use is a program that is free on the Google Play Store is Paragan NTFS&HFS+ Program. *Root of course*

I have tested this on my phone itself and I am using my external mouse,
    keyboard and external drive as we speak!

My personal set-up is a Targus PAEPRO090 so called "docking station" that has
    5 USB HiSpeed Ports
    LAN Adapter
    Printer Port
    Serial Port
    3.5 mm Audio Jack (although I have yet to get it to work)

What this does

INSTALLS:

FUSE driver (Full NTFS Read Write support for ARM devices)
    isofs (To allow mounting ISO and image files)
    nls_utf8 (for mounting a CIFS windows share and allows extra features)
    NTFS modules (to allow android to mount NTFS)
    and a module that allows for NTFS USB mounting

Version 2 has Ethernet Drivers AND my OTG drivers all in one.

If things do not start up (ethernet) go to the terminal and enter

Code:
    su
    usb_ethernet

Can anyone point me to an exact place I can buy a cable? I'd prefer one that I can plug into a usb charger on one end, then my phone/usb otg device on the others. I'd appreciate it. I see so many places that say use this cable, then someone says no it doesn't work.

this is the one I bought
    http://goo.gl/6hOAV
    I say if I have helped.... hit the thanks button

http://blog.hash-of-codes.com/downloads/

This is where you install SafeStrap.... it FORCES the Maserati into recovery...
    read over what the instructions say and you cannot go wrong.

the direct link is http://tinyw.in/tE17

yes I hot-linked it BUT Goo.im allows this kind of stuff.

Ok... done! It works! Many thanks!
    Can I suggest you to add to your first post you need to use Safestrap to flash the patch?

Any chance to mount FAT32 formatted devices? Usually, pen drives are fortmatted FAT-FAT32.