[ROM] Manta [KOT49H] 4.4.2 r1 Pure AOSP [12/18/13]

Search This thread

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
Good Morning fellow XDAers.

Here is a Pure AOSP KitKat build pulled from Google source found HERE

I will try to keep this updated with most recent source builds and minor tweaks. This makes for a good base for anyone to build from for a pure AOSP source. Just wanted to get it out there for people to use.

Instructions.

It is highly recommended that you flash using CWM recovery. TWRP may be updated but I haven't used it since KitKat released Again, if you brick your device, it's your fault not mine. This is a Beta so by clicking the download links you are taking full responsibility.

*Backup your current ROM
*Make sure you are using CWM recovery
*Do a complete system wipe
*Flash Rom
*Flash Gapps
*Flash Superuser pack
*Reboot and enjoy

Update 12/18

* enabled app ops - ability to specify which permissions you want to turn on/off for each app
* increased email attachments allowance to 20mb
* any file type transfer thru Bluetooth
* closed some memory leaks
* art tweaks
* animation cut in half for stock launcher
* up to date with Google merges via android-review.googlesource.com

Download aosp_manta-KOT49H-20131218 HERE

Update 12/15

* Added OTG Support
* Added merges from android source that wasn't in 4.4.2
* More location tweaks
* Added Override allowance in source
* Changed to toolchain 4.8
* Build.prop tweaks

* You can dirty flash over previous versions, just make sure to flash gapps, then SU to retain root.

Download aosp_manta-KOT49H-20131215 HERE

Update 12/12
* Updated to 4.4.2

Download v1.6 HERE

Update 11/22
* Pie controls in Browser enabled
* doubled the allowed downloads

Download v1.5.1 HERE

Update 11/21
* Updated to 4.4 r1.2 source
* Updated Kernel
* Updated Props
* Disabled Securities in Email (please test)

Download v1.5 HERE

Update 11/17
* added reboot menu
* added screenshot to reboot menu

Download v1.4 HERE

Update 11/14 (Pure AOSP Manta 4.4 r1.1)
Download ROM from HERE

Needs testing but youtube works through the browser fine. Please make sure you have a fresh wipe, then flash rom, gapps, su, reboot. Also, you may experience gapps fc if you enable ART. Since it is still ART is still experimental, I would hold off of that for now.

My keyboard doesnt pop up any longer using the new googlehome.apk. it took a little bit to settle down but if you have the issue either deal with the glitch or delete the apk from /system/app

Alpha upload 11/11

Download ROM from HERE

Download 4.4 Gapps from HERE 4.4.2 Gapps from HERE

Download SU from HERE

Thanks to a good buddy for motivating me to even get back in to compiling and messing with source. It's been awhile. Could the retirement be over? not likely. But you never know. Once Google releases the updated props I will update the OP.

Enjoy!

Don't be cheap. If you download hit the thanks button. It's free!

Last edited:

Noobla_Khan

Jul 27, 2010
North Waterboro
Decided to put it out there eh? :)

Did you enable transparency in this build?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Noobla_Khan

Jul 27, 2010
North Waterboro
Yeah, transparency is done, and some other low level tweaks. Over all it's very good. We really need the props released to finish the build correctly.

Cool...I don't think SlimKat or CM11 builds had the transparency enabled(may have changed since I last tried them) so this would be good way for people to check that out since the word is it won't be enabled on the Nexus 10 when Google releases.

Last edited:

Leoisright

Dec 22, 2010
MN
Cool...I don't think SlimKat or CM11 builds had the transparency enabled(may have changed since I last tried them) so this would be good way for people to check that out since the word is it won't be enabled on the Nexus 10 when Google releases.

I better double check. If it isnt I will fix and upload. I thought I did it but was a late night...lol

edit.. it wasn't done. But it's being uploaded right now with it done. Also, swapped out to have the stock native wallpaper_default.jpg. Should be done in less then 10 minutes and will update the op after.

Hoping to have fixed the USB OTG problem too.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

Leoisright

Dec 22, 2010
MN
I will be working on this tomorrow afternoon. Got the ota updated and system pulled. Now that we have full props we can polish off this aosp. You'd be surprised how similar this really was. Hope the props fix the video glitches.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Leoisright

Dec 22, 2010
MN
4.4 binaries have been posted by google. I should have a release sunday. Couple busy days ahead. Have the reboot to recovery working but once I added a system pull binaries it wouldnt boot. So need to dig in to see if we need a new kernel. Either way good days ahead.

edit: Ok, factory images have been released for us. But, there is also a new build tag for the manta. Will be release 4.4 r1.1. It contains a different kernel as suspected. SInce this is the case, I decided to just start fresh with a new sync.

Last edited:

Leoisright

Dec 22, 2010
MN
Woohoo, we have a full booted pure aosp 4.4 r1.1

Will post link in op..give me a few

Edit..Youtube app works great. Now the fun begins. I want to keep this as close to pure as possible. The 4-1 reboot menu and OTG is a must. but then just transitions and stuff like that. Have fun with the rom gang.

Last edited:

jackie_jagger

Jul 23, 2010
Vancouver, CA
I think we can move it up a couple notches. All the apps work now. Transparency Nav bar modded

Gotchya, I'll give it a shot once Mediafire starts working. It seems to be down for maintenance. If I may ask, how does the performance compare to 4.3? I ask because I'm hearing conflicting reports of being fast and the same for some.

EDIT: It won't work on TWRP?

Leoisright

Dec 22, 2010
MN
Gotchya, I'll give it a shot once Mediafire starts working. It seems to be down for maintenance. If I may ask, how does the performance compare to 4.3? I ask because I'm hearing conflicting reports of being fast and the same for some.

I think with ART vs dalvik there seems to be a boost. It runs smooth as silk. Also, I have Google home installed and it settled down now where the keyboard stops popping up when you hit the home button.

Only think I see not working so far is the tap n pay in settings. Says services not installed.

Even the print seems good once you install an HP print app. Synced right up to my printer. Its work a full wipe then flash ROM, gapps, and then su. Make sure you back up. But I wanted a fresh install for KitKat anyway.

Edit... I don't think twrp updated the recovery yet for KitKat. Use a cwm 6.0.4 version and its golden

Last edited:
Reactions: texraid

texraid

Sep 11, 2010
I just installed this about 30 minutes ago and so far its running great. I am using ART instead of Dalvik and it runs really well and smooth. There was only a small sluggishness to it for me when I would go left to Google Now, but after using it for a little while it seems to have gotten better.

Youtube worked awesome and so has everything else, Gmail, Chrome, Google Plus, etc. The transparency looks amazing on this tablet, great job!! As of right now this rom's a keeper for me.

Edit* I also installed this with the newest CWM. I tried using TWRP yesterday on a few other 4.4 roms and it would fail each time.

Last edited:

jackie_jagger

Jul 23, 2010
Vancouver, CA
I think with ART vs dalvik there seems to be a boost. It runs smooth as silk. Also, I have Google home installed and it settled down now where the keyboard stops popping up when you hit the home button.

Only think I see not working so far is the tap n pay in settings. Says services not installed.

Even the print seems good once you install an HP print app. Synced right up to my printer. Its work a full wipe then flash ROM, gapps, and then su. Make sure you back up. But I wanted a fresh install for KitKat anyway.

Edit... I don't think twrp updated the recovery yet for KitKat. Use a cwm 6.0.4 version and its golden

I'm running TWRP recovery on my Nexus 5 so I guess it does work. But I'm not sure if there is an updated image available for manta. I'll check it and try

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Morning fellow XDAers.

Here is a Pure AOSP KitKat build pulled from Google source found HERE

I will try to keep this updated with most recent source builds and minor tweaks. This makes for a good base for anyone to build from for a pure AOSP source. Just wanted to get it out there for people to use.

Instructions.

It is highly recommended that you flash using CWM recovery. TWRP may be updated but I haven't used it since KitKat released Again, if you brick your device, it's your fault not mine. This is a Beta so by clicking the download links you are taking full responsibility.

*Backup your current ROM
    *Make sure you are using CWM recovery
    *Do a complete system wipe
    *Flash Rom
    *Flash Gapps
    *Flash Superuser pack
    *Reboot and enjoy

Update 12/18

* enabled app ops - ability to specify which permissions you want to turn on/off for each app
    * increased email attachments allowance to 20mb
    * any file type transfer thru Bluetooth
    * closed some memory leaks
    * art tweaks
    * animation cut in half for stock launcher
    * up to date with Google merges via android-review.googlesource.com

Download aosp_manta-KOT49H-20131218 HERE

Update 12/15

* Added OTG Support
    * Added merges from android source that wasn't in 4.4.2
    * More location tweaks
    * Added Override allowance in source
    * Changed to toolchain 4.8
    * Build.prop tweaks

* You can dirty flash over previous versions, just make sure to flash gapps, then SU to retain root.

Download aosp_manta-KOT49H-20131215 HERE

Update 12/12
    * Updated to 4.4.2

Download v1.6 HERE

Update 11/22
    * Pie controls in Browser enabled
    * doubled the allowed downloads

Download v1.5.1 HERE

Update 11/21
    * Updated to 4.4 r1.2 source
    * Updated Kernel
    * Updated Props
    * Disabled Securities in Email (please test)

Download v1.5 HERE

Update 11/17
    * added reboot menu
    * added screenshot to reboot menu

Download v1.4 HERE

Update 11/14 (Pure AOSP Manta 4.4 r1.1)
    Download ROM from HERE

Needs testing but youtube works through the browser fine. Please make sure you have a fresh wipe, then flash rom, gapps, su, reboot. Also, you may experience gapps fc if you enable ART. Since it is still ART is still experimental, I would hold off of that for now.

My keyboard doesnt pop up any longer using the new googlehome.apk. it took a little bit to settle down but if you have the issue either deal with the glitch or delete the apk from /system/app

Alpha upload 11/11

Download ROM from HERE

Download 4.4 Gapps from HERE 4.4.2 Gapps from HERE

Download SU from HERE

Thanks to a good buddy for motivating me to even get back in to compiling and messing with source. It's been awhile. Could the retirement be over? not likely. But you never know. Once Google releases the updated props I will update the OP.

Enjoy!

Don't be cheap. If you download hit the thanks button. It's free!
    4.4 binaries have been posted by google. I should have a release sunday. Couple busy days ahead. Have the reboot to recovery working but once I added a system pull binaries it wouldnt boot. So need to dig in to see if we need a new kernel. Either way good days ahead.

edit: Ok, factory images have been released for us. But, there is also a new build tag for the manta. Will be release 4.4 r1.1. It contains a different kernel as suspected. SInce this is the case, I decided to just start fresh with a new sync.

I will be working on this tomorrow afternoon. Got the ota updated and system pulled. Now that we have full props we can polish off this aosp. You'd be surprised how similar this really was. Hope the props fix the video glitches.

Over the next couple days we will be upgrading to 4.4 r1.2. Was more bug fixes with new kernel and props. Not quite sure which bug fixes but some are better than none.

Looks like we get new kernel and binaries. Also noticed that kitkat kernel was posted open source. Hopefully soon we can add inline kernel compiling too. Its my preferred method so its an all in one rom. Plus we can do some tweaks in there.

Woohoo, we have a full booted pure aosp 4.4 r1.1

Will post link in op..give me a few

Edit..Youtube app works great. Now the fun begins. I want to keep this as close to pure as possible. The 4-1 reboot menu and OTG is a must. but then just transitions and stuff like that. Have fun with the rom gang.