[Q] Suggestion for dual boot

What android version should I use?

• Total voters
Search This thread

alfling

Feb 26, 2010
Hi guys! I need an advice both from Windows and Android users.
I used to run Gingerbread on my Leo (NexusHD2 by Tytung) with nativeSD, and I didn't update to ICS or JB because I didn't want it to become laggy (I suppose they are heavier than GB).
Yesterday, my sdcard got broken (actually it became write-protected for no reason on earth, and I couldn't find any way to unlock it or format it, even though I tried with every solution I found on the internet), so I just bought a new one, which will arrive tomorrow; I've read on xda that class4 Sandisk cards are the best ones for smartphones, because they have a higher random speed, whereas class6 and class10 have higher sequential speed but lower random speed. So I bought a 32GB Sandisk class4.

ANDROID PART

1) Now, given that card, do you think I will be able to run smoothly Jellybean (if I find a good stable ROM)? Or do you think it is just too heavy? (If I'm not mistaken ICS, JB, Kitkat are all optimized for multi-core CPUs, and we have a single core with relatively low ram...)
2) If you think I can update to JB without having lags as soon as I install a few apps, would you recommend me a good, stable and fast nativeSD ROM? I'm looking for something very basic, without built-in apps or other crap, I just want the simple, original OS and I will install apps that I need later.

WINDOWS PHONE PART

Since I'll have plenty of space now, with 32GB, I thought to give Windows Phone a shot, since I use Windows 8 on my laptop and I've been told that WP is a very light and not power-demanding OS.
So my idea is a dual boot through nativeSD with Android as favourite OS (since it's the one I'm used to) and WP as second OS, to see if it can fit my needs.
Could you recommend me a good, stable and fast nativeSD ROM? I'm looking for something very basic, without built-in apps or other crap, I just want the simple, original OS and I will install apps that I need later. Besides, is there a stable WP8 for HD2 or just WP7?

Thank you very much for any help. I hope to come to a decision today because tomorrow I'll get the new sdcard and I want to do ll the flashing in one time, without having to repartition the sdcard later

hamid_valad

Dec 30, 2009
Tehran
hi
i dual booted my hd2 a while ago.
if u want my opinion, windows phone will not come in use.
but! i still have it on my phone.
i use hd2o as winphone and tytung's nexusHD2 v2.7 (android 4.2.2) as nativeSD android. (i have a 16gb toshiba class 4 microsd card)

there is no winphone 8 available so far, and since DFT and a lot of developers are no longer supporting HD2, i dont think it will be available ever!
A lot of people use pedijamas winphone and say its awesome, but i haven't, and i have no time to switch.
kitkat is still beta, and some features do not work. A few days ago I installed nexusHD2 v3.3 (android 4.3) on my friends phone (nand, CLK sandisk 8gb class 10) and it was great.

but!!!!
my android is not that good. its slow and laggy.

conclusion:
1. Do not install winphone and magldr. instead install CLK and android (nexusHD2 is great, i think v2.7 is still better than v3.3)
2. Install winphone, and android. (i suggest install a few androids and see which one works better, i think 2.3.3 will be better though)
3. Install winphone alone, its fast, and by fast, i mean like FAAAST! but, its not android, so apps and ui will make u sick after a while! :S

Reactions: alfling

alfling

Feb 26, 2010
hi
i use hd2o as winphone and tytung's nexusHD2 v2.7 (android 4.2.2) as nativeSD android. (i have a 16gb toshiba class 4 microsd card)

there is no winphone 8 available so far, and since DFT and a lot of developers are no longer supporting HD2, i dont think it will be available ever!
A lot of people use pedijamas winphone and say its awesome, but i haven't, and i have no time to switch.
kitkat is still beta, and some features do not work. A few days ago I installed nexusHD2 v3.3 (android 4.3) on my friends phone (nand, CLK sandisk 8gb class 10) and it was great.

but!!!!

conclusion:
1. Do not install winphone and magldr. instead install CLK and android (nexusHD2 is great, i think v2.7 is still better than v3.3)
2. Install winphone, and android. (i suggest install a few androids and see which one works better, i think 2.3.3 will be better though)
3. Install winphone alone, its fast, and by fast, i mean like FAAAST! but, its not android, so apps and ui will make u sick after a while! :S
Thank you for the reply! A few questions:
1a. In Tytung's v3.3, are the WiFi and 3G/HSPDA traffic indicator arrows in the status bar still not working or did he fix them?
1b. Why not magldr? I thought it would be better since it allows to "unlock" the 576MB RAM in EU HD2s (and I see that Tytung himself uses magldr :D )
2. Is WinPhone available just in NAND? No nativeSD ROMs?

Last edited:

hamid_valad

Dec 30, 2009
Tehran
Thank you for the reply! A few questions:
1a. In Tytung's v3.3, are the WiFi and 3G/HSPDA traffic indicator arrows in the status bar still not working or did he fix them?
1b. Why not magldr? I thought it would be better since it allows to "unlock" the 576MB RAM in EU HD2s (and I see that Tytung himself uses magldr :D )
2. Is WinPhone available just in NAND? No nativeSD ROMs?

1a: i'm not sure, since i use nexushd2 v2.7, and it works just fine. (also i don't think its a big deal! i never noticed those arrows!)
1b: i dont know how did you find out that tytung uses magldr!!!! i my self use magldr, its great. but i believe if you just want to use android, CLK is a better option. new roms (4.2.2, 4.3, 4.4) wont fit on nand, so you have to make an ext4 partition and put your data on sd. just your system partition goes to nand, so i think it doesn't make any difference to unlock 576MB RAM. and also i don't know if CLK unlocks it or not! :D (sorry for my lack of info!)
2: i know this one!!!! :))
nope, WinPhone is just available on nand, sadly!

alfling

Feb 26, 2010
1a: i'm not sure, since i use nexushd2 v2.7, and it works just fine. (also i don't think its a big deal! i never noticed those arrows!)
1b: i dont know how did you find out that tytung uses magldr!!!! i my self use magldr, its great. but i believe if you just want to use android, CLK is a better option. new roms (4.2.2, 4.3, 4.4) wont fit on nand, so you have to make an ext4 partition and put your data on sd. just your system partition goes to nand, so i think it doesn't make any difference to unlock 576MB RAM. and also i don't know if CLK unlocks it or not! :D (sorry for my lack of info!)
Thanks again! Eventually I asked directly to Tytung and he answered me that it was just an aesthetic thing and the he wouldn't fix it because Google themself removed them in the following versions. I installed the v3.3 and so far it's GREAT (like every Tytung's work)! :)
I guess he's using MAGLDR from what he writes at the end of his threads, but it's just a guess. Anyway, I'm forced to use nativeSD because some time ago I had continuous crashes even after Task29 and fresh install of Tytung ROMS, so I guess I have some bad blocks in my NAND after 4 years of heavy usage. I hoped to give WP a shot because I've read it's blazing fast, but I'll be happy with my JB 4.3 CM 10.2 :laugh:

Reactions: hamid_valad

hamid_valad

Dec 30, 2009
Tehran
Thanks again! Eventually I asked directly to Tytung and he answered me that it was just an aesthetic thing and the he wouldn't fix it because Google themself removed them in the following versions. I installed the v3.3 and so far it's GREAT (like every Tytung's work)! :)
I guess he's using MAGLDR from what he writes at the end of his threads, but it's just a guess. Anyway, I'm forced to use nativeSD because some time ago I had continuous crashes even after Task29 and fresh install of Tytung ROMS, so I guess I have some bad blocks in my NAND after 4 years of heavy usage. I hoped to give WP a shot because I've read it's blazing fast, but I'll be happy with my JB 4.3 CM 10.2 :laugh:

see, nexusHD2 is still awesome!
lucky me! i never had any problem with my nand!
if you have to use nativesd, it makes no difference if u use magldr or clk.
if you want to install WP, you have to install MAGLDR, but the problem is that it will wipe your sd and partition it to an unknown partition type. so back up your data before ding so! :D
have fun.
if i helped, i'm glad!

Reactions: alfling

alfling

Feb 26, 2010
if you want to install WP, you have to install MAGLDR, but the problem is that it will wipe your sd and partition it to an unknown partition type. so back up your data before ding so! :D
have fun.
if i helped, i'm glad!
You've helped me a lot! Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi

but!!!!

conclusion:

have fun.
    if i helped, i'm glad!