[Q] Flashing Stock from CMB

Search This thread

xnosajx

Dec 6, 2010
I am currently running the CMB r2c1

I am attempting to move to the stock rom (deodexed and rooted http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608129), but I am having issues getting the stock rom from asus to flash using twrp.

tried the WW and the US version along with the SD version. I've tried the full zip and unzipping as well. All fail.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to flash the stock rom? I

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA

I am attempting to move to the stock rom (deodexed and rooted http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608129), but I am having issues getting the stock rom from asus to flash using twrp.

tried the WW and the US version along with the SD version. I've tried the full zip and unzipping as well. All fail.

Asus seems to sign the stock firmware zips this time around and CWM, and now it seems also TWRP can't flash it anymore. Which TWRP version did you try it with?
Why do you want to flash stock? To get to the 4.3 bootloader?
Right now the only solution seems to be to flash the stock revovery in fastboot, apply the update to 4.3, flash custom recovery again and install rom.
I look for the link to the stock recovery and post it in an edit.

Edit: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=3210

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: xnosajx

xnosajx

Dec 6, 2010
Asus seems to sign the stock firmware zips this time around and CWM, and now it seems also TWRP can't flash it anymore. Which TWRP version did you try it with?
Right now the only solution seems to be to flash the stock revovery in fastboot, apply the update to 4.3, flash custom recovery again and install rom.

Thanks for the help.

I do want to get to the 4.3 bootloader so that I can get to a different Rom. I will try the steps you have listed and let you know.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the help.

I do want to get to the 4.3 bootloader so that I can get to a different Rom. I will try the steps you have listed and let you know.

Just for future reference - because this is going to come up again and again - you did follow proper procedure:
Unzipped the downloaded firmware once and then tried to flash the resulting zip in TWRP?
And please: Which TWRP version?
Hint: There's a "Thanks" button at the bottom of each post for a reason ;)

xnosajx

Dec 6, 2010
Just for future reference - because this is going to come up again and again - you did follow proper procedure:
Unzipped the downloaded firmware once and then tried to flash the resulting zip in TWRP?

I tried both zips: once without unzipping and once with. I am unsure of the twrp version I was using, because I flashed CWM right after I posted the original question. Going through my bookmarks that I created when I first went to CMB rom, it looks like it was 2.6.

I am still attempting to get the stock recovery flashed with no success. I tried the fastboot method, and it seems to work except that when I reboot, it still comes up with CWM. It also stops blinking on the RCK icon when it installs (kinda hangs). I tried fastboot devices and it shows me the following:

???????????? fastboot

I may have to come back and try again in the morning. I am falling asleep while typing.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I tried both zips: once without unzipping and once with. I am unsure of the twrp version I was using, because I flashed CWM right after I posted the original question. Going through my bookmarks that I created when I first went to CMB rom, it looks like it was 2.6.

I am still attempting to get the stock recovery flashed with no success. I tried the fastboot method, and it seems to work except that when I reboot, it still comes up with CWM. It also stops blinking on the RCK icon when it installs (kinda hangs). I tried fastboot devices and it shows me the following:

???????????? fastboot

I may have to come back and try again in the morning. I am falling asleep while typing.

Yep - good idea to quit if you are tired!
The return you get on 'fastboot devices' means your fastboot drivers are not working/incorrect.
If you issue the command
Code:
fastboot devices
the return has to be a long string of numbers and letters. Anything else, especially ???????, and no fastboot command will have any effect.
Depending on the PC you are using, find the correct drivers, which may be the Google Universal Naked drivers, install them and troubleshoot until you get a working fastboot connection.
Everything after that should be a breeze.....

xnosajx

Dec 6, 2010
The return you get on 'fastboot devices' means your fastboot drivers are not working/incorrect.
If you issue the command
Code:
fastboot devices
the return has to be a long string of numbers and letters. Anything else, especially ???????, and no fastboot command will have any effect.
Depending on the PC you are using, find the correct drivers, which may be the Google Universal Naked drivers, install them and troubleshoot until you get a working fastboot connection.

I should have been more specific. Before I attempt the install of the recovery, I get this when I do fast boot devices:

Code:
C:\>fastboot devices
###d2bbce61c###        fastboot
The #'s are actual numbers.

After I try to install the recovery image here is the output:

Code:
C:\>fastboot flash recovey recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (8192 KB)...
OKAY [  3.588s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  3.182s]
finished. total time: 6.770s

C:\>fastboot devices
????????????    fastboot

c:\>

And the green flashing (around the icons) stops and hangs.

I have to hold down power to reboot after that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit: http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=3210

Thanks for the help.

???????????? fastboot

If you issue the command
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    Looks to me like you have tried to flash a TF701 ROM onto the TF700.

Try CROMi-X 5.3 instead.