Microsoft knows where you are.....

Search This thread

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
ah, so they are....so do the credit card companies....and the network carriers oh and you should know the kind of information those wee loyalty cards for supermarkets gather is staggering

I couldnt care less to be honest, the whole point of this is that yes infomation about you is taken and stored on a gigantic scale, but that info on my credit cards, my store cards my carrier usage and my WP7 isnt available to anyone but the servers they reside on.

That is the fundermental difference between MS and Apple.

you steal my phone ill be pissed off, you steal an iphone and potentially someone could find a lot about my movments.

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Let me think about that for a minute... No...

Hehe, no me either, just a conv starter.
On a related note, police have been using the iPhone location list (held on the phone itself, unlike wp7) to tie user to location when investigating crimes, tomtom have sold harvested driving data to Dutch police who have used it to set up speed trap stings, and two women have filed a $50mil suit against Google for harvesting their data.(not gonna fly, of course, but interesting none the less) a few days after a similar suit against apple.

As per above post tho, store cards are the big one, hugely intrusive, many hundreds of terrabytes of info every year.

Last edited:
A

aghnokneemoose

WOW this is crazy information! How are they making money off us carrying their phone around?

Makes me think of that book in 1994 big brother! Only now big brother uses a larger camera with a better zoom! Crazy!

hungry81

Apr 23, 2009
WOW this is crazy information! How are they making money off us carrying their phone around?

Makes me think of that book in 1984 big brother! Only now big brother uses a larger camera with a better zoom! Crazy!

fixed.

And they make money by sending adds to your phone. In the future if they know where you are they can send adds from nearby shops to your device. Yup you are paying them to send you spam.

CharlesG70

Jun 4, 2010
Toronto
Spam but maybe not

Well if they actually get it right then maybe the ads will be helpful.

If I am in the mall to buy a pair of Jean and I get a link sent to my phone telling me that I can get 15% off at this store and 2 for 1 at that store, well good for me and them.

Also I live a vanilla life so who cares; the only people that are worried are the pervs, cheaters, and such that are afraid of getting caught.
:cool:

A

aghnokneemoose

Now I wouldn't mind that much as long as it was pertinent to my needs and consistent with my location and timing. How are you getting those ads? Texts?

I've been getting a bunch of spam calls and texts here lately and I do not list my cell number anywhere! So it must be from WP7. Am I right? I mean my number is listed in the donotcall.gov

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
So, wp7 also tracks location, just like android and iphone, and it uploads said tracking data to ms servers,....... anyone scared??

theregister. co.uk/2011/04/27/windows_phone_location_tracking/

If you read that article and most importand others like that in the web you will be notice that:

1. Apple - Tracks you and keep the data for a year or more. And the most importand is that
anyone who can get the hands on your phone can see all the places you where
for a year !!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Android - Keeps your data for a week
3. WP7 --Keeps ONLY one record and it replace it with the next one

THATS THE BIG DIFFERENTS

Reactions: gamemanx

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
Got a source for that, please? ( not that I doubt you, just only seen "unspecified time" and "short period of time" and nothing saying one overwrites the previous one)?
Cheers

Yes m8 ...i have the source ..its a source that i trust for some 20 years now...
Its Zdnet PC Magazine

from the article "
Microsoft told PCMag unequivocally that phones running Windows Phone 7 do not store location history
Microsoft says its "Find My Phone" service keeps only the phone's most recent location
."

The big picture here is that Apple has lie on this matter ...
Six months ago when they say (i think) in a congress hearing that "We are not tracking location at all"
And still they say the same lie in a recent article in the "Apple's Media Center" aka Engadget blog..

This is a big big problem for me....
If anyone who can have my phone for 1 min can see where i was for the last 6 moths or a year with every detail in map....oh man ...this is bad .
This Orwel Big Brother mutliply x 1000. We have to fight against this.

The big blogs arrount the net have made a kind of omerta on this ...just an article and no more.
Probably the adds (money) from Apple are to big to start a fight ...
But this is not journalism... OK Apple is cool ..but where is your integridy as writer or as big internet blog ????
Where are all those guys that tear apart MS or any other company for minors problem ????

Thats the problem for me...Apple did this without anyone knows about it and is still deny it.
This a big big trust issue

colossus

Last edited:

hjhjhj

Jul 7, 2010

Makes me think of that book in 1994 big brother! Only now big brother uses a larger camera with a better zoom! Crazy!

Seriously you didn't realize this? Have you not read any of the articles blaring security issues regarding credit card and smartphone data tracking and mining? Where have you been? You use a smartphone and you never thought about this?

Not only are you ignorant on the George Orwell's 1984, but you're oblivious to the impact of all this tech on privacy! Geez! It's DOH! and DUH! I guess the credit card and tech companies love you!!!! The typical blind sheep being led by multi-national corporations and governments.

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Yes m8 ...i have the source ..its a source that i trust for some 20 years now...
Its Zdnet PC Magazine

from the article "
Microsoft told PCMag unequivocally that phones running Windows Phone 7 do not store location history
Microsoft says its "Find My Phone" service keeps only the phone's most recent location
."

The big picture here is that Apple has lie on this matter ...
Six months ago when they say (i think) in a congress hearing that "We are not tracking location at all"
And still they say the same lie in a recent article in the "Apple's Media Center" aka Engadget blog..

This is a big big problem for me....
If anyone who can have my phone for 1 min can see where i was for the last 6 moths or a year with every detail in map....oh man ...this is bad .
This Orwel Big Brother mutliply x 1000. We have to fight against this.

The big blogs arrount the net have made a kind of omerta on this ...just an article and no more.
Probably the adds (money) from Apple are to big to start a fight ...
But this is not journalism... OK Apple is cool ..but where is your integridy as writer or as big internet blog ????
Where are all those guys that tear apart MS or any other company for minors problem ????

Thats the problem for me...Apple did this without anyone knows about it and is still deny it.
This a big big trust issue

colossus
Good choice of reading,,,, there's a good editorial on theregister about the legality of even collection, let alone using data harvested from a phone, since it is covered by different laws than, say, a computer, since it falls under the telecommunications act

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/02/device_data_collection

Last edited:

souljaboy

Apr 30, 2009
It looks like Google, Apply, and Microsoft are all making money off of us just carring our devices around. I want my roralty check please. :p

u'd be surprised , but its not voluntarily done , its the law in the usa they have to track you by telecommunication act 1996 , in effect from 2001 , a phone cant be sold in usa if it doesnt comply

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
u'd be surprised , but its not voluntarily done , its the law in the usa they have to track you by telecommunication act 1996 , in effect from 2001 , a phone cant be sold in usa if it doesnt comply

I will have to try to do some reading on that act, thanks for the info.

But even though it is something mandated doesn't mean that the OS makers Apply, Google, and Microsoft are just doing it because of that. Trust me there are hidden agendas here with this whole location tracking thing be it from the government or the private sector.

George OrWell must of been able to see into the future. LOL

colossus_r

Feb 10, 2007
Huawei P40 Pro
Good choice of reading,,,, there's a good editorial on theregister about the legality of even collection, let alone using data harvested from a phone, since it is covered by different laws than, say, a computer, since it falls under the telecommunications act

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/02/device_data_collection

Nice find m8..full of info in the matter...thanks...

Just an update on apples reaction ...Its a big problem for them sinse the are ready (so soon)
to release a new version of iOs to fix the location problem...

If am not mistaken its the first time that apple has reacted so fast on problem...

colossus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yeah well if you haven't noticed mapping services got quite a lot more features than they did years ago. And satellite images dont provide as much details and data needed to make it more reliable and more rich.

Its like saying to a dev i wont test your app. You should know what works when and how and what doesnt. Thats not always the case. Theres always gonna be a chance of that 1 person and that 1 bug. More data helps to provide more accurate results for these services.

I told you all. If your not happy with this. Dont use anything that has any sort of mobile communication system on you. You can all be traced if some one really cared. Dont forget even sim cards are traceable. So if you are that important and some one really wants to find you. Guess what. They can

Second theres law against this info getting out of the platform holders hands. I believe you should read more carefully into your T&C's when you start up your phone or purchase it. Its all there in black and white.

Dont agree to it. Dont buy it or use it. No one is forcing you. Its like a contract you dont like the terms dont sign it.

Im sure you can use Google services that break your privacy concerns even more. Apple is doing monitoring as well. Im sure theres ways other companies collect data also

So the moral. Dont like it or dont agree to it. Dont use it. Simple as.

Millions of people couldn't give a ****. I dont either. Im not hiding anything, and if the data i provide will help to improve services ill be happy to provide it as im sure in the long term it will make it more stable and cut the costs down for us.

Which is cheaper?

Sending a fleet of cars around the world with expensive monitoring equipment or getting data of the actual users with the feedback?

And finally there

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-ph...v-t-request?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

You just don't get it..........

I clicked on your link and doenloaded the 9 page PDF file. This comes straight from it.

2. Observing Location Only When the User Needs It. Microsoft only collects
    information to help determine a phone’s approximate location if (a) the user has
    allowed an application to access and use location data, and (b) that application
    actually requests the location data. If an application does not request location,
    Microsoft will not collect location data.
    Notice the a and the b? This is clever way of creating a preconception of order or importance. The letter A comes before B so therefore your mind associates the statement labeled A more important than the statement labeled B. But if you look at the statement labeled B you see that if an application request location data your location data will be logged.

I could set here and break down the whole 9 pages of PDF but I will not do that. You just don't get it though and I feel sure you never will. You say nobody gives a #@$*. Well yes in general majority of people do not give a #@$* and that is the problem, more people, like me and a few others in this thread, should start giving a #@$* and standing up for whats right and not just except things as they are, but try to bring about change in the world.

Her is a link for anyone else that is interested in reading the PDF on Microsoft's response to the U.S. Government's request and a link for the Windows® Phone 7 Privacy Statement
    So, wp7 also tracks location, just like android and iphone, and it uploads said tracking data to ms servers,....... anyone scared??

Let me think about that for a minute... No...

If you read that article and most importand others like that in the web you will be notice that:

1. Apple - Tracks you and keep the data for a year or more. And the most importand is that
    anyone who can get the hands on your phone can see all the places you where
    for a year !!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. Android - Keeps your data for a week
    3. WP7 --Keeps ONLY one record and it replace it with the next one

THATS THE BIG DIFFERENTS
    Because things change...What your gonna take the data that everyone had from 1980's and use that. Come on if you really think that everything is out there already and you dont need tracking. Well then go buy a TomTom that cant send out any info outside your GPS unit.
    Do you not realize we have satellites that circle the Earth everyday that can zoom in and read your tag number on your car? Any kind of updated information they need for mapping purposes can be obtained by using numerous satellites that or orbiting our planet. Heck this is how the first maps that Google and Being made where put together, why change how they do it?

Your getting a free service. Companies try to improve it because one GPS vehicle cant travel around every single little arse hole of nowhere. It cant get as accurate results in varieties of devices as a 100 users in one area.
    Please define free......really! If you take into account you are losing your right to privacy, then no it is not free. You are losing more than just your right to privacy too, but that is for a far more in depth discussion.

What you say makes no sense. If your concerned about your privacy. Forget about using phones and any other electronic communication device because they all do the same thing. Its just a matter of fact to do some digging. Any one with some knowledge can find some info of what your doing and when. Just a matter of fact of finding out how and when....
    This is true you can find out numerous things about someone if you know how to do the proper research on someone. But just because you can do it does not mean it is right. This mundane acceptance of things that people know logically is not right but is still accepted because of the mentality of, "Oh well that is just the way it is so I have to accept it". To me this is pure crap and just people further conforming to the molds and ideals that have been set in place by the the before mentioned "Big Brother" groups. If society refuses to except something it will never be, but if society excepts it then it is thought of as the norm and never questioned. Also just because I question these practices I should not be able to enjoy the advantages of modern technology? I do not agree with this statement, technology is suppose to make life easier not used to control the masses, and that is what this location tracking is all about. Do not get it twisted.
    Your getting a free great service. Their not seeing pictures of you naked in a shower. Your just one dot on a screen...Who cares? Even nokia can track you on their dumb phones. Find out where you are and what your doing if they want
    Again with the free service, come on man really. Just because they say it is just location information does not mean that is so. I mean there is no limit to the amount of information that can be harvested from your device or computer without your knowledge and no trace of what information was harvested or how, when, and who harvested it. Apple, Google, and Microsoft have just now come to light the amount of location tracking they are doing even though anyone that reads the T&C's our sets up their smartphone should know some location tracking is going on. But we are now aware of the massive scale it is being done. So no telling what else we do not is being collected yet. i am positive we will see more come to light, but it will be via the internet not mainstream media I promise you that.

I have something I want you to seriously look into but i am sure I do not need to post it here in the forums so I am sending you a PM with it.