[Q] Bricked Advent Vega Tegra note 7 no usb debugging

Search This thread
Jun 3, 2013
To be perfectly honest it's actually not a good guide, it works okay if you were already on 4.4.2 but for anyone 4.3 or lower it could make things worse and I know from experience of trying to flash kitkat onto an android phone that was previously using 4.3, it didn't work and just broke it and had to use download mode of the phone to reset it back to 4.3 and do a proper update with everything for it to work. Since your method only flashes 4.4 system boot and recovery when sometimes other partitions may get updated with 4.4 versions too.

Have flashed several directly from 4.3 to 4.4.X without issue.

slick97477

Oct 27, 2013
Marcola
Have tried to flash my tablet with this method and it says Can't start to flash serial number is invalid. Is there any way to change to the serial number within the program so it will flash via apx

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Have tried to flash my tablet with this method and it says Can't start to flash serial number is invalid. Is there any way to change to the serial number within the program so it will flash via apx

OK there is a way of bypassing the serial check. Simply make sure that the Flash_signed.bat file ends up like mine below.

@echo off

nvflash --blob blob.bin --bct flash_signed.bct --setbct --odmdata 0x4069E000 --odm limitedpowermode --configfile flash_signed.cfg --create --bl bootloader_signed.bin --reset normal 0
echo "Flash done"

That will bypass the whole serial code issue weather it will work is another thing good luck. remember i can't and won't be held responsible if this causes a house fire!

P.S the nvflash section that ends at --reset normal 0 is one whole line

slick97477

Oct 27, 2013
Marcola
OK there is a way of bypassing the serial check. Simply make sure that the Flash_signed.bat file ends up like mine below.

That will bypass the whole serial code issue weather it will work is another thing good luck. remember i can't and won't be held responsible if this causes a house fire!

P.S the nvflash section that ends at --reset normal 0 is one whole line

ok trying it now. About how long does this take for the process to complete?

Been running for about 15 minutes now

Nvflash 3.09.1700 started
Using blob 3.09.1700
chip uid from BR is: 0x600000015c4110c62400000009ff0540

That is what it is showing on cmd window but nothing else so far.

Last edited:

bains96

Oct 23, 2010
Hi Hacktrix Im having a very similar issue to slick97477, I used your advice and modified the flash-signed.bat as previously it wouldnt get past the serial numer but after bypassing the serial check it fails to go any further , i think there might be damaged partion table or something. Now when i try it it gets stuck in a similar window with chip uid etc but doesnt get past it :( please help. I gave up on my Tegra months ago and let it gather dust as it was frustrating me as i kept getting nowhere. But finally I decided to give it another shot and feel like i am close to resolving the problem. Much to your advice and help on the forum. Many Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
What OEM brand is yours? Also can't be of much help as my laptop died on Friday and I have only my phone and tablet ATM.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

bains96

Oct 23, 2010
Hi wow that was quick lol
Sorry to hear about your laptop :(
My Tablet is an Advent Tegra Note from CurryPCWorld

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Have you checked the cable? Are plugged into a USB 3 or USB 2 slot? How did you get into a bricked state?

bains96

Oct 23, 2010
Ive tried multiple cables and two other laptops, All to the same response but one time it went it got to rcm version 0xa ie a line after the Br is that slick97477 noted. The problem started when i was using the streaming an anime from the crunchyroll app then all of a sudden it froze. As in just an image no sound no nothing no responsiveness at all no matter what i tried. It wouldnt boot up or down so I thought as i couldnt turn it off better it run out of juice and put it on charge. Well ever since i let the battery run down its been stuck in APX mode and wont boot to anything nor show any sign of charge but when i connect it up to a laptop windows make a beep and then install Nvidia drivers then in APX mode. Sorry im trying to be a clear as possible Ive been using xda for years but only now have got to a stage where Ive needed to post and ask for further help. Many Thanks

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
That doesn't sound great at all, sounding more like a nand failure to me.

bains96

Oct 23, 2010
Tell me about it, oh well Thank you for making the time to reply
I'll keep trying as ive read and seen loads of similar issues for Tegra owners of the Acer A500/A501 which is nVidia Tegra 250 and not Tegra 4 but you never know as those people have managed to use badblock (i think cant remember of the top of my head) and nvflash to sort out complete bricks :D

If by any chance you are able to access the APX image you had earlier in the thread I would be grateful but if you cant I understand, as its hard without a laptop. I have all the official images etc from Advent from their website just in case it was that image you were refering to.

Thanks Again

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Ive just tried it again the exact cmd prompt message is

Nvflash 3.09.1700 started
Using blob 3.09.1700
chip uid from BR is: 0x0000000280000000900000010000001

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
I have a 4.4.2-gms apx image but its all on my dead laptop which drives encrypted waiting for a replacement part to fix laptop but that doesn't work then all is lost. Till 8 months time when I enough dosh to get a new laptop and able to make the images again.

bains96

Oct 23, 2010
Eeeek having no laptop is not nice (luckily I have access to laptops from work lol)
hopefully you get everything sorted, Thanks again for making the time :cool::good::D

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Oh i just thought the APX image you sent the others? You mustve uploaded them to a sharing website? The links may still be active?

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
I have since deleted them off the share as I was updating them like a Muppet lol.

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Laptop is now back online will more then likely upload the 4.4.2-2.5 apx image soon. Will then post the links for everyone.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My son has this tegra note which he dropped and it is stuck on the the "TEGRA NOTE" boot screen i can get the bootloader up and have tried factory reset and side loading a update with sd card but non of these have made any difference. I have watched all the un bricking vids and help files and tried everything i can but nothing works as the usb debugging was never enabled, is there any way i can re-install the complete OS without this enabled ?

Hi mate as you can get to the bootloader all is not lost.

Download the following files

The Restore to Factory via nvflash: http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/download-select/nojs/3255
    Recovery Guide: http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/download-select/nojs/3260

Follow the guide to the letter apart from if you have the drivers already installed for ADB and Fastboot you also have the driver installed for APX.

This should get you booting again hopefully.
    Just in case anyone still has these issues I'm going to post how I found a way to resolve them. I had all the problems mentioned in the previous posts and more besides. The inability to apply OTA updates, the device would freeze after 5 seconds of inactivity, endless boot loops, failed recovery partitions etc etc etc.

I tried a butt load of different solutions but none worked for me. What did work is described below. Others have already mentioned that Advent has a stock rom recovery utility, however, even after flashing that my problems still remained. So I downloaded the Advent stock recovery util and documentation and modified it slightly to the latest Android release for the Tegra Note 7.

Do as follows:

1 - Go here and download both the Advent Vega Tegra Note Factory Image (4.3) util and the documentation.
    2 - Extract the Advent Factory Image zip file (as described in the documentation) somewhere on your pc.
    3 - Inside the extracted folder you'll see a bunch of files. The three files we're interested in are the "recovery.img", "system.img" and "boot.img". Select all three and delete them.
    4 - Now download the Tegra Super Tool utility here. At the time of this post the latest version is 2.5.
    5 - Extract the downloaded Supertool to a new folder on your pc.
    6 - Inside the extracted folder there are another bunch of files. Again, we're only interested in three of them. You're going to rename three of the files and use them to replace the three files you deleted earlier. At present their names are "4.4.2-2.5recovery.img", "4.4.2-2.5boot.img" and "4.4.2-2.5system.img.ext4". The filenames will obviously change as time goes by, but a little common sense goes a long way at this stage. So "4.4.2-2.5recovery.img" is renamed to "recovery.img", " 4.4.2-2.5boot.img" is renamed to "boot.img" and "4.4.2-2.5system.img.ext4" is renamed to "system.img". Once you've renamed them, copy them into the folder for the Advent Vega Tegra Note Factory Image which you extracted in step 2.
    7 - Now go and read the documentation for the Advent Vega Tegra Note Factory Image util. Just take your time and follow it to the letter. It'll tell you how to put your Tegra Note 7 into it's APX mode, install windows drivers for it and begin the recovery of your device. It's mostly an automated procedure and fairly simple to follow as long as you follow the documentation.

This method brought my Tegra Note 7 back when it had several of the problems mentioned earlier in this thread, all at the same time.

Hope it helps someone.:)
    Okay so Hacktrix has been helping and we managed to flash the image again of 4.3 from Advent but sadly I still have the problem, we tried a lot, we were down to the very few tricky options of using adb shell and such from recovery. I honestly am stumped as to why the hell this is so broken, all from an OTA update. I read other people had this problem from the 4.3 OTA, some got it fixed by factory resetting, others didn't and had to get a new tablet.

I've tried flashing it fresh with Advent stuff, with 4.4 stuff, everything, and I leave it for about 20 minutes after every flash to see if it will just take a long time to boot. But it just refuses to boot into the System at all.

The worst thing about it is that Advent aren't very friendly when it comes to this stuff, they don't provide any updates to download or anything. Would be easier if we had Advent update zips of their OTA's instead of just EVGA ones. This is the problem, flashing EVGA stuff onto Advent may be whats causing the problems, the problem deffinately seems to be on boot or system since it gets to TEGRA NOTE then hangs.