[Q] Using Droid Razr on Strait Talk network

Search This thread

pondwater

May 1, 2010
after looking on the forums and a few other places and seeing that the razr should have gsm turned on if we were to find a way to unlock the gsm and put in say a strait talk micro sim card would it still continue to run cdma with 4g lte or would it just use the gsm networks that are around cause $45 for unlimted everything would be sweet. because of were i am strait talk uses vzw networks but i also know that their gsm phones use i think att's network. but if we could do this how many of you would dump your contracts and only pay $45

no body needs to lecture me about spelling or grammer i know it is my flaw and no reason to flame for it LOL

bigfdaddy

Oct 6, 2010
From what i undertsand it should work with out issues.but i believe u need to be on a ics leak to have it fully unlocked.in the ics leak they made it unlocked for global know and thats what my phone is set at.it will hse gsm frequency only since u wont be tied into verizon no longer....if im wrong someone plz correct but i believe im right...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

daniel644

Feb 29, 2012
with the straight talk SIM card it would only work on GSM (from straight talk SIM page), yes in the past straight talk had phones that ran/run on verizons CDMA but those are being phased out and the SIM cards being sold now will only work with the GSM, I'm quite interested in this idea myself, I can't do it for more then a year and a half (not worth the cost to break the contract), so someone should be able to confirm this working before that time comes.

But it all depends on whether the razr gsm frequencies are in the same spectrum as AT&T or not, or possibly some other lockout, because in the news articles it seems to imply the global update GSM frequency won't work with AT&T for some reason and you need to be on AT&T GSM to use the straight talk SIM card.

Last edited:

pondwater

May 1, 2010
But what would the possibility of getting them to work like the 4g devices on vzw cause I can take the sim out and place in other 4g phone and it works but strait GSM would be nice as well

Side note has any one figured out how to unlock the xt910 phones for different sim. Cards

daniel644

Feb 29, 2012
But what would the possibility of getting them to work like the 4g devices on vzw cause I can take the sim out and place in other 4g phone and it works but strait GSM would be nice as well

Side note has any one figured out how to unlock the xt910 phones for different sim. Cards

from my understanding it won't, verizon and straight talk started limiting there interaction before LTE and the SIM cards they are selling now are LOCKED to AT&T GSM frequencies.
http://www.straighttalk.com/shopsims if you choose CDMA it says program not available, and from what I understand AT&T's 4G LTE will be on a different frequency spectrum (50 Megahertz higher IIRC) and so our verizon LTE radios will not be supported on that system.

S

Samsuck

after looking on the forums and a few other places and seeing that the razr should have gsm turned on if we were to find a way to unlock the gsm and put in say a strait talk micro sim card would it still continue to run cdma with 4g lte or would it just use the gsm networks that are around cause $45 for unlimted everything would be sweet. because of were i am strait talk uses vzw networks but i also know that their gsm phones use i think att's network. but if we could do this how many of you would dump your contracts and only pay $45

no body needs to lecture me about spelling or grammer i know it is my flaw and no reason to flame for it LOL

You could buy a GSM razr /maxx that comes sim unlocked and use it on straight talk

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA

Sparkimus

Sep 21, 2010
Summerville, GA
You can use RadioComm to unlock the CDMA/LTE Razr to work on AT&T and T-Mobile. There is a thread somewhere on XDA that shows how to do it. Then all you would have to do is pop in the Straight Talk SIM and edit the APN settings on the Razr to get data and MMS. IIRC, the Razr supports all the frequencies AT&T uses, including the ones used for HSPA+.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

djflmmbl

May 19, 2010
La Habra
I don't think Lte will work in straighttalk, would be nice but yes straight talk its phasing out devices that use Verizons frequencies.

ValtheBatman

Jul 15, 2012
droid razr maxx

So can anyone confirm that the droid razr maxx will work on straight talk at all with like att sim card? That would be great news because that phone has the best battery.

ValtheBatman

Jul 15, 2012
This is what I have found out from talking to Motorola.

Thanks for reaching out to Motorola.

With the release of the Ice Cream Sandwich, the DROID RAZR MAXX can now support GSM. That means it can be used with any carrier's SIM card. But the phone needs to be unlocked to use it with a different carrier aside from Verizon.

In order to unlock the phone you will need the "subsidy" code. This is a code that is unique to your phone. The code is assigned by the original service provider so that you cannot take the phone to another carrier without their permission. The business (carrier) that the phone was originally manufactured for is the only one that will have this information.

You will need to talk to a technical support person at the company for which the phone was sold, for assistance. The technical support staff will probably need to know the IMEI number off of the phone, under the battery to assist you.

We hope that you find this information useful and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,
Maureen

TSRV1

Sep 17, 2012

With the release of the Ice Cream Sandwich, the DROID RAZR MAXX can now support GSM. That means it can be used with any carrier's SIM card. But the phone needs to be unlocked to use it with a different carrier aside from Verizon.

In order to unlock the phone you will need the "subsidy" code. This is a code that is unique to your phone. The code is assigned by the original service provider so that you cannot take the phone to another carrier without their permission. The business (carrier) that the phone was originally manufactured for is the only one that will have this information.

You will need to talk to a technical support person at the company for which the phone was sold, for assistance. The technical support staff will probably need to know the IMEI number off of the phone, under the battery to assist you.

We hope that you find this information useful and we look forward to assisting you in the future.

Best Regards,
Maureen

Unfortunatelly it does not work with AT&T or T-Mobile or Straight Talk service in United States. Droid Razr / Razr Max will only work with other GSM Cards outside the US Market. Please see the findings below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1619563&page=30

Reactions: ValtheBatman

jrtower

Feb 16, 2013
talking w/ a geekI know that wooks for verizion

So can anyone confirm that the droid razr maxx will work on straight talk at all with like at&t sim card? That would be great news because that phone has the best battery.

I went to hin earlier this month (Feb, 13) He said yeah it can be done. especially if you click on GSM when you go to your settings where you can choose between global and LTE/CDMA mode. and try clicking on GSM/ UMTS, then you should lost you data and all your bars with a red line through it. If a box pops up saying this phone does not have a GSM carrier connection, or something like that, that's even better. Now since Verizon got rid of unlimited data, and also got fined over 1.2 billion data for deleting 7 3rd party adds for free hotspot, there are more and more hotspot apps popping up all the time. I highly recommend downloading Aptoid for free so you can download any paid app for free. I haven't come across a app it does not have and just downloaded a $29.99 app today. Anyways, he said there are way's to do this without unlocking though many Verizon techs might not do it for you or even tell you how to get the info. I recommend doing and checking out a few things first. If you still have unlimited data, just order the strait talk SIM card for now until either they get rid of unlimited data all together or you don't want to pay full price for a phone anymore. Here's what you need to check into. there are many other pte-paid providers out there. And you can order blank SIM cards from out of country. check out clear.com, thats $45 bucks a month for unlimited data at home or on the go. the devices cost anywhere from 24.99-100+, but the adverage one you need is around $50. If you can conect to your computer from your phone or tablet, there are ways for to remotely send your phone internet access from you PC to you phone or computer. look it up! I don't know hoe to do all this stuff my buddy does. I am just a business owner that has used 149GB on my unlimited data plan through Verizon since January 28th till February 15th, which is on the low side for me since I used 59GB's from January 29th to February 3rd. Whatever blocks come up, there will be a way around them. these companies rely on older people like my aunt who had unlimited data on her regular smart phone + her work phone then she was paying by the GB for her Ipad. All three with with her at all times I showed her how to be able to use all three through her regular phone, Via Hotspot w/ a free hotspot app. or Via Blu-tooth, and how to direct tether. she couldn't believe she was now able to save about $150 a month in about 25 mins of a little education. Also I said there will always be ways around whatever the cell companies do. I am not going to tell you the name of the company that goes live February 21st. but $40 a month, unlimited everything and all you have to do is to get one other person to do it with after you. plus you can use whatever phone you have now. if you get two people to sign up after you it is free, $20 for every person you sign up, $10 for every person they sign up $5 for the next, but it doesn't go any further than that, It hasn't even stated yet, but I signed up in November and signed up 13 people, some of them went nuts and got a lot of people, which only like 4 of them I know and the people the people They signed up signed up alot. now my first months paycheck along with my free unlimited data talk and text will be $3,130. why? because if I didn't sign up anyone my bill would be $40, I signed up 13 and the chain when on from there. less money for the people you didn't sign up but are linked to you from the ones you did. I just found out how much money I will be getting at the end of march. Now they are getting rid of free data. I am going to push this. and you can keep you first service plan if you don't get good reception for calls, just swich out the SIM cards. Look it up, it should be hard to find

Wayne207

Jan 21, 2014
not sure

What I want to know is when If I did the following:

I went to hin earlier this month (Feb, 13) He said yeah it can be done. especially if you click on GSM when you go to your settings where you can choose between global and LTE/CDMA mode. and try clicking on GSM/ UMTS, then you should lost you data and all your bars with a red line through it. If a box pops up saying this phone does not have a GSM carrier connection, or something like that, that's even better.

I got pop up window so what do I do now? I would really like to use my Droid Razor please help me:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Best Regards,
    Maureen

Unfortunatelly it does not work with AT&T or T-Mobile or Straight Talk service in United States. Droid Razr / Razr Max will only work with other GSM Cards outside the US Market. Please see the findings below:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1619563&page=30