[Q] Phone will not read my SIM card (Straight Talk)

Search This thread

voulo5

Apr 4, 2011
I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked or even answered but I HAVE been researching and finding NO help in my problem.
I purchased a Straight Talk phone the other day for the SIM chip as my last resort for immediate phone service. I had been told by many people that it would be able to be slapped into my phone and I would have no problems after changing the APN settings. I set up the plan and made my account with Straight Talk and then took the Card out and put it into my device.
My device is rooted with Cyanogen Mod and has S-OFF.
I then tried to start the phone up and got a message saying "No SIM card"
I did not get prompted to enter an unlock code or anything, just the No SIM card error which also means I can't save APNs...
The SIM Card works in the phone I bought it from, which is the Motorola W418G.
Now I have no clue if I am missing something, did I mess up? Or is it that for some god awful reason that SIM chip won't work in my phone at all?
Please any information, links, replies, ANYTHING is HIGHLY appreciated and again I am sorry if this specific question has been asked and answered, I could find nothing on this specific problem and I am hoping I didn't just waste a ton of money on going back to a pretty basic flip phone...

-JV

DeathmonkeyGTX

Oct 15, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Pretty sure you need sim from another phone, a couple years ago it was the nokia e71. But nowadays you can just order a sim from the website

Sent from my LG-E970 using xda premium

Mar 11, 2011
Austin
I have the exact same issue as you JV. But I'm experiencing it with a Galaxy Nexus that can't recognize the SIM card that was bought with a Samsung SGH-T528G. The SIM card work fine in the T528G but not in Galaxy Nexus and also not in my wife's previous flip-phone. I have a T-Mobile SIM card that works fine in the Galaxy Nexus and in the flip-phone. And yes, the Nexus is running stock, non-rooted and unlocked (from the Play store).

I'm curious - did you figure out the issue? Any solution for your phone might work for mine... Thanks in advance!

- Philip