Can't flash custom roms

Search This thread

Flozik

Mar 3, 2012
Pardubice
Hi all, I have a problem with my Desire Z. A few days ago I made root following instruction on wiki.cyanogenmod.com. Everything went fine until when I tried to flash custom rom. After each flash the phone will not boot and hangs at the boot screen. I tried MIUI, Virtuous Quattro RC1, RC2 and RC3, and even clean original rom from HTC. The only two roms I managed to install are ILWT CM7 and Virtuous Quattro Beta 9. Of course, I did full wipe before each flash. Can anyone help?

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
Hi all, I have a problem with my Desire Z. A few days ago I made root following instruction on wiki.cyanogenmod.com. Everything went fine until when I tried to flash custom rom. After each flash the phone will not boot and hangs at the boot screen. I tried MIUI, Virtuous Quattro RC1, RC2 and RC3, and even clean original rom from HTC. The only two roms I managed to install are ILWT CM7 and Virtuous Quattro Beta 9. Of course, I did full wipe before each flash. Can anyone help?

I've got the same problem with the Virtuous Quattro roms, you can try JIBwitch, Andromadus or CyanogenMod 9 for ICS. Those roms worked on my Vision. Sadly I can't help you to get those other roms, I'm still trying to figure out why this happens, if I figure it out I'll post it here.

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
At loading a new rom, the first boot can take up to 10 minutes. But if do you an ADB logcat while booting you should see a constant flow of messages, if this isn't the case something is wrong indeed. I am now on CyanogenMod 9 pre-Alpha 2.5 and it works like a charm. Can you try that one, and look if your device is doing something upon boot, with logcat?

Reactions: Flozik

Flozik

Mar 3, 2012
Pardubice
Thanks for reply again. I tried again flash JIBwitch with adb logcat and its working :) Anyway Virtuous roms (Unity and Quattro) still not working...

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
No problem, glad you can use your device with ICS.
Now to figure out why the Virtuous roms won't work, I tried so many things I can't remember what I've done anymore. The best I can think of right now is that it is an download error somehow. I'll try tonight if I can flash quattro rc3 with a copy downloaded at work, and a copy downloaded at home. I'll post my results here again.

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
As I thought it seems to be an download error, the file I downloaded at home wont boot, while the file I downloaded at work works fine. Can you try to download the Quattro rc3 over another network??

Android_Monsters

Feb 2, 2012
Los Angeles
When you rooted you may have flashed the g2 engineering hboot. So, even though you have a desire z you have the bootloader from a g2. You need the desire z bootloader to run the virtuous stuff and almost all other sense roms. Anything 3.0 and above.

Sent from my HTC Vision using xda premium

Flozik

Mar 3, 2012
Pardubice
There is information from my hboot screen:

Vision Pvt Eng S-off
Hboot-0.84.2000 (PC1011000)
Microp-0425
Radio-26.03.02.18M3
eMMC-boot

So I think, I have not hboot for G2 but for Desire Z. Or I am wrong?

I am going to try download Virtuous Quattro by another network and flash again. Anyway I tried check mdl5 sum for files that I used to download and its matched.

crestofawave

Dec 17, 2011
Heraklion
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
First off, hello!

That's actually a Desire Z Engineering HBOOT you have, and not the G2 one. Applying the G2 hboot on our phone can potentially brick the phone.

Now you are saying you're wiping before flashing, but do you use Superwipe? If not, it's strongly advised that you do. This tool erases the OS partitions and format them using the ext4 filesystem. In addition to that, it also cleans the "EFS Data". EFS data is temporary radio config data, and it is advised to wipe them every time you flash a new ROM, so the radio can reconfigure itself, which has proven to fix a lot of issues, mainly with GPS but not limited to that.

Anyways, I decided to upload a version of Superwipe I had found and used numerous times for easy access. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?iygmwd1a7zrfe9p (Don't be distracted by the "G2", it works the same for both phones!) Also, the MD5 is E0B0AF31F22EE06BDE7748195F8AE651

What recovery do you have? ClockworkMod or 4EXT? I presume you have Clockwork Mod 3, since you mentioned you used the cyanogenmod wiki, It is a good idea to switch over to 4EXT Touch which has a lot of bugs fixed over from CWM and is faster as well as safer in general. The 4EXT site is here:http://www.4ext.net/
All credit goes to madmaxx82 for his hard work!

With all that said, there have been several users who couldn't get VQ RC releases to boot on their devices, would always hang them on the white HTC screen. The reason is still unclear though, we'll have to wait for an update from the Virtuous DEV's. You, also might have the same issues, hence be uncapable of booting it considering that in your reply you mention you can successfully boot Beta 9 but none of the RC versions, which was the case for the people with the issue in question.

As far as MIUI is concerned...which MIUI distribution are you using? MIUIAndroid or MIUI.us? Or did you flash an ICS MIUI release found here, particularly cjward's one...it uses the Virtuous Quattro kernel, hence the reason it didn't boot on your device. If that's the case, anyway.

Flozik

Mar 3, 2012
Pardubice
Thanks for all advices!

I used CWM Recovery v. 3.x.x.x and also 5.x.x.x (not exactly sure which versions...)

Today I was trying 4EXT and SuperWipe for flashing VQ RC3 downloaded over another than my home network. But with same results as past. Everytime booting pass over HTC screen and freeze on Virtuous logo. It's mystery....

About MIUI - I was trying to flash MIUI_Au 4.0.3. I think that uses Andromadus kernel or not?

Anyway I am really satisfied with Ice Cream JIBwitch rom!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At loading a new rom, the first boot can take up to 10 minutes. But if do you an ADB logcat while booting you should see a constant flow of messages, if this isn't the case something is wrong indeed. I am now on CyanogenMod 9 pre-Alpha 2.5 and it works like a charm. Can you try that one, and look if your device is doing something upon boot, with logcat?