Wifi tether error

Search This thread

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Does anyone know how to fix the error when I try to tether? It was working fine a few days ago and it just stopped working. I have all the settings set up correctly. I've done everything to enable tethering prior to the error.

gebydapu.jpg

zyju5agy.jpg

eryda8yq.jpg

Hopefully this helps others whom had the error pop up for their wifi tethering. It did not fix my issues at all but it seems to resolve the problem for others.

Deleting or renaming /data/misc/wifi solves the problem for some. Sadly mine wasn't fixed by this but I'll keep this updated with what I find to help others.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=62516

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FuMMoD

Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
It works perfectly fine on a clean flash. It stopped working a few days ago and no settings pertaining to tether were changed.

This is the error I get.
gu2a8y6a.jpg

This is on a clean flash, so the rom is able to work fine right out of a fresh install.
u7upade9.jpg

mscosta

Jan 14, 2005
I have installed the latest nightly of CM11 and I have the same problem.
Deleting or renaming /data/misc/wifi did not solve the problem for me...

Someone help?

FuMMoD

Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I have installed the latest nightly of CM11 and I have the same problem.
Deleting or renaming /data/misc/wifi did not solve the problem for me...

Someone help?

Has anyone reported that issue with CM? I'm running beanstalk which is based on CM. A few people have reported the issue and we have yet to figure out a work around besides a clean flash.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

FuMMoD

Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Wow today it started working again by itself. I haven't installed new apps. There's an update available for my rom but I don't want to risk updating and loosing WiFi tether.

motoridersd

Jul 21, 2008
San Diego
Google Pixel Watch 2
I started having this issue on my N5 recently. I haven't changed much, other than update the kernel. I'm running Cataclysm with FauxKernel 16u_r2. I went back to the stock kernel with no change, I still get an error (and hotspot has always worked across all kernels I've usually run).

In my case, after the error, I am unable to turn WiFi back on unless I put the phone in Airplane mode and take it back out.

No one seems to have reported this issue on the latest FauxKernel, but I'll ask over there too. Maybe there's something everyone was using that broke this and why CM is now fixed. Would be nice to know what that was.

kufikugel

Aug 12, 2012
No no one fixed it till now and no one really knows why it happens. Happens on all custom roms including cm and stock. Something gets messed up during flashing the builds. That's why reports are more on custom ROMs than on stock. On last stock upgrade a lot reported this as well. There is even a ticket open on googles bug tracker for it.

Reactions: mscosta and FuMMoD

mickdubs

Jan 17, 2010
newark
LG G Pad 10.1
OnePlus 6T
I started having this issue on my N5 recently. I haven't changed much, other than update the kernel. I'm running Cataclysm with FauxKernel 16u_r2. I went back to the stock kernel with no change, I still get an error (and hotspot has always worked across all kernels I've usually run).

In my case, after the error, I am unable to turn WiFi back on unless I put the phone in Airplane mode and take it back out.

No one seems to have reported this issue on the latest FauxKernel, but I'll ask over there too. Maybe there's something everyone was using that broke this and why CM is now fixed. Would be nice to know what that was.

Same issues here. Deleting the wifi folder didnt do jack but loose all my profiles. Im on cm 11 alwasy latest night. What are we missing here? Stopped working maybe a month ago

FuMMoD

Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Same issues here. Deleting the wifi folder didnt do jack but loose all my profiles. Im on cm 11 alwasy latest night. What are we missing here? Stopped working maybe a month ago

For me it comes and goes on it's own. I won't change apps or the rom and it'll change by itself. The only thing I do flash is my kernel updates. The kernel doesn't affect WiFi though so idk.

five40

Jan 18, 2008
NYC
For me it comes and goes on it's own. I won't change apps or the rom and it'll change by itself. The only thing I do flash is my kernel updates. The kernel doesn't affect WiFi though so idk.

Only a Factory erase or flashing another ROM worked for me.
Deleting the recommended folder did not help.

drawde40599

Aug 11, 2010
I've gotten it on cm and Aosp based roms. I never ran stock, not even when I bought my phone did it boot into stock. It works flawlessly with cataclysm though.

I didn't realize I had the issue till I seen your post in elementalx , I'm running stock .

drawde40599

Aug 11, 2010
I've gotten it on cm and Aosp based roms. I never ran stock, not even when I bought my phone did it boot into stock. It works flawlessly with cataclysm though.

I'm sure u would have posted if u did but ill ask anyways , have u learn anything new on this subject ? (Broken tether)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No no one fixed it till now and no one really knows why it happens. Happens on all custom roms including cm and stock. Something gets messed up during flashing the builds. That's why reports are more on custom ROMs than on stock. On last stock upgrade a lot reported this as well. There is even a ticket open on googles bug tracker for it.

It's not cm. I'm stuck with it on stock. No ryme or reason

From my mobile telephony device.