[Q] Replacing bootloader

Search This thread

qwertius

Apr 23, 2014
I found the following U-Boot port for Galaxy Nexus:

github . com / Ksys-labs / uboot-tuna

But when I try to flash the bootloader via fastboot, the device refuses to accept it because the magic number in the header is different. Makes sense. But according to the docs of Ksys-labs, this bootloader can replace Samsung's stock bootloader and there's even a video on Youtube which claims to demostrate a device booting with this bootloader instead of Samsung's.

How do I make the device (maguro) safely accept the U-Boot bootloader like they did? (I asked them, no respose so far)

sp3dev

Jul 11, 2006
Kaluga/Moscow

But when I try to flash the bootloader via fastboot, the device refuses to accept it because the magic number in the header is different. Makes sense. But according to the docs of Ksys-labs, this bootloader can replace Samsung's stock bootloader and there's even a video on Youtube which claims to demostrate a device booting with this bootloader instead of Samsung's.

How do I make the device (maguro) safely accept the U-Boot bootloader like they did? (I asked them, no respose so far)

You will need an older version of xloader (I think PRIMEKK14 did work) if you want to replace the stock bootloader because that version did not check the bootloader signature. Moreover, you need to edit the file "include/configs/omap4_tuna.h" and uncomment the "#define TUNA_SPL_BUILD" line. Either way, before experimenting, find and download the OMAPFlash for Galaxy Nexus and ensure it works for you.

As for flashing it, I just used "cat /sdcard/bootloader.bin > /dev/...." from Android and "sync". Under /dev/block, you'll find something named like "platform/omap-something/by-name/bootloader".

And take a look at the thread nearby
http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-nexus/development/bootloader-boot-multi-boot-support-t2201146

Reactions: xd.bx

qwertius

Apr 23, 2014
You will need an older version of xloader (I think PRIMEKK14 did work) if you want to replace the stock bootloader because that version did not check the bootloader signature. Moreover, you need to edit the file "include/configs/omap4_tuna.h" and uncomment the "#define TUNA_SPL_BUILD" line. Either way, before experimenting, find and download the OMAPFlash for Galaxy Nexus and ensure it works for you.

As for flashing it, I just used "cat /sdcard/bootloader.bin > /dev/...." from Android and "sync". Under /dev/block, you'll find something named like "platform/omap-something/by-name/bootloader".

http://xdaforums.com/galaxy-nexus/development/bootloader-boot-multi-boot-support-t2201146

Thanks, I did find that thread and it's very useful.

But I'm failing to flash it using fastboot, maybe because I'm using PRIMEKK15 and not 14 like you suggest. I can't find 14 anywhere on the internet. Do you by chance have a copy of the image? Maybe I can replace just xloader and not the whole bootloader img, but I couldn't find the separate xloader image either.

qwertius

Apr 23, 2014
Hello,
I compiled u-boot and tried to > it into the block device "sbl". Didn't work, the phone seems to get bricked. I didn't have PRIMEKK14, but I tried PRIMEKK15 and PRIMEKJ10 (or was it JK10?).

Is the xloader version you published required? This link is dead: ht tp : // ksyslabs . org/lib/exe/fetch.php ? media = gnex-xloader-working.img

If it's required for flashing u-boot in place of sbl, do you have a copy of the this xloader? I can't find it anywhere else on the web.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.