[Q] Temporary brick

Search This thread

dexvility

Feb 1, 2012
Yesterday a strange thing occured to me. My phone got bricked but a simple battery re-plug was enough to fix it. Here's what's happened:

For about 2 weeks it had been telling me that there's new update available (4.4.3., I think), but I've downloaded and installed several times. After every reboot (after downloading and installing update) the notification about it popped up again. So the last time I did it, I plugged in the cable during the update (even though the power was at 82%) and when I came back, the phone was bricked. I could only start it if it was powered by a cable and after the "Google with the padlock at the bottom" screen it went dark again. Same thing with Recovery boot. I thought I would need to factory reset, but then I tried pulling the battery out and plugging it back in and the device is fine.

I have a rooted 32GB, bootloader version HHZ11k. Any idea what might have caused this issue and how to avoid it in the future?

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Intresting. A lot of people's phone got bricked and behaving similar. Like bootloader gets locked after unlocik. Emmc acts like it is write protected or something. Maybe a simple battery replug could solve this issue?

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

Elluel

Jan 14, 2014
えうれる
Yesterday a strange thing occured to me. My phone got bricked but a simple battery re-plug was enough to fix it. Here's what's happened:

For about 2 weeks it had been telling me that there's new update available (4.4.3., I think), but I've downloaded and installed several times. After every reboot (after downloading and installing update) the notification about it popped up again. So the last time I did it, I plugged in the cable during the update (even though the power was at 82%) and when I came back, the phone was bricked. I could only start it if it was powered by a cable and after the "Google with the padlock at the bottom" screen it went dark again. Same thing with Recovery boot. I thought I would need to factory reset, but then I tried pulling the battery out and plugging it back in and the device is fine.

I have a rooted 32GB, bootloader version HHZ11k. Any idea what might have caused this issue and how to avoid it in the future?

No such thing as "temporary brick" or "soft-brick". Those terms are ridiculous. If your phone were to be bricked, it would not turn on, would not boot into recovery, would not boot into bootloader, and would not boot into the secondary bootloader. Your device would be completely dead.

Since you're rooted you can't take the OTA normally, you have to flash the OTA.zip in recovery manually. Which is why it tells you that there's a new update, because you never successfully updated in the first place.

I suggest you read these:
http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/resource-guides-info-threads-linked-read-t2784527
http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/info-nexus-5-ota-help-desk-t2523217

Last edited: