[Recovery] Philz Adv CWM 6.55.0 - CWM 6.0.5.0 - TWRP v2.7.1.0 - AROMAFM GT-P52XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
M

moonbutt74

all i can tell you is to check your process.
note - the tab 3 10.1 only requires a two button combo.
power vol+ recovery
power vol- odin
all recoveries work
else is user error/misperforminated step in process . :silly:

additional note - many reboot widgets require root to reboot to recovery.
you need odin 3.07

m

nickf914

Jan 10, 2008
all i can tell you is to check your process.
note - the tab 3 10.1 only requires a two button combo.
power vol+ recovery
power vol- odin
all recoveries work
else is user error/misperforminated step in process . :silly:

additional note - many reboot widgets require root to reboot to recovery.
you need odin 3.07

m

thanks! I think it's because I never rooted successfully...I was able to load the rom by odin'ing philZ, then booting to recovery straight from the download screen. having issues with root again, will try flashing the supplied zip. thanks!:victory:

D

Deleted member 1919717

GS,

hi,

i believe 64gb cards need to be exfat however, i have never used one so can not provide an answer.
the issue is addressed in various threads however, so search cwm 64gb sdcard.
if there turns out to be a patch to address this point me to it and i will consider a rebuild.
m

Finally found the time to do it. Formatting in FAT32 worked. Now the 64GB SD was recognized by the recovery!

Gesendet von meinem GT-P5210 mit Tapatalk

sioneng

May 18, 2013
problem installing custom recovery

I tried using philz odin and flash method but it seems that im still using stock recovery. using odin, it said that it pass but when i reboot in recovery im still getting the stock recovery. i' tried flashing the zip version but it says that its signature not signed or something. im still on stock 4.2 im hoping to get kitkat. thanks

M

moonbutt74

I tried using philz odin and flash method but it seems that im still using stock recovery. using odin, it said that it pass but when i reboot in recovery im still getting the stock recovery. i' tried flashing the zip version but it says that its signature not signed or something. im still on stock 4.2 im hoping to get kitkat. thanks

Hi,

the second point of your question shows you do not read the forums, but no worries
i've got cookies and coffee and am feeling strangely chummy today !:p

okay some times and on some devices you need to de-select the auto-reboot function in odin and manually force
reboot after flash is successful.

As to your second point, read the forums and you would know you can't flash an unsigned zip in stock recovery.

watch this video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

all the best. ;)

m

sioneng

May 18, 2013
Hi,

the second point of your question shows you do not read the forums, but no worries
i've got cookies and coffee and am feeling strangely chummy today !:p

okay some times and on some devices you need to de-select the auto-reboot function in odin and manually force
reboot after flash is successful.

As to your second point, read the forums and you would know you can't flash an unsigned zip in stock recovery.

watch this video.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

all the best. ;)

m

HAHA love the video. i did uncheck the autoreboot earlier but no luck. anyway, i will search for unsigned zip thanks man.

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
@moonbutt74 I finally upgraded to PhilZ 6.55 (new to me) from old TWPR. Your TWRP friendly zip was a simple flawless install. Made a backup of Pimpdroid 2.3.1 into sdcard0/clockworkmod/backup and it was flawless. Then upgraded from pimpdroid 2.3-1 to 3.0-3 using PhilZ with very little pain. Had to install Xposed and Wanum as advertised. Had to install UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.0.2.zip with PhilZ to get SuperSU working after an auto-update in Playstore and then binay update as advertised. This should be encouragement for any of you out there like me lurking and reluctant to upgrade pimpdroid to 3.0-3. I'm happily on KitKat.

However, I note a curious thing. I have a 64G extSDcard formatted stock on the card in exFAT like @GeScha and like all of the new 64G cards. PhilZ does not mount the exFAT formatted card but once I flash Pimpdroid and boot the 3.0-3 ROM my ESFile Explorer can read and write the exFAT formatted card no problem. @GeScha was able to get PhilZ to read the 64G card after formatting it to FAT32 but exFAT is an advancement and I would prefer not to re-format the SD card. With only 16G on the internal SDcard0 there is not much room for very many backups and you really need the big extSDcard. I am positive that the old TWRP was able to mount this same exFAT card and write backups.

Is there anyway to fix PhilZ to write to mount exFAT?

M

moonbutt74

k,

hi, the person to ask about that would be Phil and or the current maintainer of his code.
I am not certain of where in the source that would be addressed.
I am currently occupied with the cm11 effort. Not to mention every day life. [stupid life....] :silly:
I would say use the recovery which works best for you, at least for now.
If you would like to help, search XDA for a solution and link me to the actual article.

m

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
Thanks. Can you personally see any advantage of Philz over TWRP? Any reason not to try flashing TWRP using Philz I have installed?

M

moonbutt74

Thanks. Can you personally see any advantage of Philz over TWRP? Any reason not to try flashing TWRP using Philz I have installed?

k,

you can flash 'em back and forth.
twrp is better if you are working in a repair service/corporate-business mode where you have to flash a lot of devices
due to it's layout, easy handling, and speediness. however it can be twitchy.

philz is cwm recovery with a facelift and some addition options and is rock solid.

users on the other hand can be VERY unreliable. :silly:

m

kb8no

Jan 29, 2012
Duluth MN
you can flash 'em back and forth.
twrp is better if you are working in a repair service/corporate-business mode where you have to flash a lot of devices
due to it's layout, easy handling, and speediness. however it can be twitchy.

philz is cwm recovery with a facelift and some addition options and is rock solid.

users on the other hand can be VERY unreliable. :silly:

I changed over to TWRP and it is happy with the exFAT 64G extSDcard. PhilZ will not read this card. TWRP mounted and backed up directly to the extSTcard. These TW based ROM's are so huge compared to AOSP ROM's and just a few backups can kill my 16G internal memory.

My aged brain seems to remember this from much earlier and I'm having a deja vu. I'm so used to TWRP and I have come to prefer it so I think I will hang with it. Do you know why @Restl3ss preferes and recommends PhilZ? Is it just preference too? He can't be wasting his time trying each build with every different possible recovery, so he picks the recovery he is more comfortable with? You aren't aware of any special reason unique to this ROM why TRWP wouldn't be adequate, do you?

Last edited:

LaShto34

Aug 25, 2012
I like this recovery. It has a nice interface and it's not laggy like twrp. But this cwm is having problems restoring data on my device GT-P5200. Luckly for me I maded with twrp a backup (just in case) which I was able to restore without problems. Also this cwm can not create a backup in twrp mode (again problem with backing up data). In rest it behaves normally with flashing zips. But I need the backup and recovery functions.
I'm using stock rooted deodexed 4.4.2 rom.
By the way I tried creating and restoring backups with or without md5 check, create, etc. It creates a backup without problem, but if I want to restore the backup or create another one in twrp mode it crashes at "data".

Last edited:
M

moonbutt74

hi
I compiled this recovery because it was what I needed. I shared that with the community. I had no need for twrp mode
so skipped it. You are more than welcome to download the sources and build the recovery you need.
In the beginning it's a little stressful but you'll get the hang of things.
When and if out tabs get Android 5 and a new recovery is needed I'll get back to it if someone else doesn't first.

m

LaShto34

Aug 25, 2012
Ok. I understand. I thought I did something wrong. Because you said that backup and restore is working and on my GT-P5200, with stock deodexed rom, restore didn't. Luckly for me I had a twrp backup, or else I should have to reinstall the whole rom again, apps, etc.
In conclusion it's not my fault, but this cwm it's buggy on my device. Thanks for the quick answer and I wish you a great day.

I love people who press thanks just because their master farted.

Last edited:
M

moonbutt74

LaShto34,

You farted ! :silly:

What errors for p5200 did you guys encounter ?
Did you use the version for p5200 ?
If you made a successful backup you restoration should be the same.
I did not intend to imply fault or assign blame, the recovery is simply what it is and does what it's meant to do.
Being tested thoroughly [i never spell that rite.... :silly: ] , and with hundreds of downloads and only a handful
of issues , it is reasonable to suspect a user error.

If it will help, I myself keep a copy of both my philz and twrp recovery builds on my tab and switch/flash depending
on my needs. If you are specific/accurate as to the details of your issue then i can be the same with an answer/solution
if one is indeed warranted.

m

OKAstro

Mar 5, 2011
Edmond, OK
moonbutt74 - I read somewhere that Philsz recovery had a feature to make a flashable ROM zip of the ROM. If so, does your version have that and does it work?

Thanks for your work for our Tab 3 10.1

M

moonbutt74

OKAstro

Hi,

every version/build of philz, including mine, and across all the tabs i own, gt-p5210 sm-t210r gt-p3113 sm-t530nu gt-n8013
the process always fails. [EXTREME FROWNY FACE] :(
so i would have to say no. If you manage to get it to work, would you please provide a full and clear description
of the process ? I'm at least 100 million % certain it's something i'm doing wrong.

thanks.

m

OKAstro

Mar 5, 2011
Edmond, OK
OKAstro

Hi,

every version/build of philz, including mine, and across all the tabs i own, gt-p5210 sm-t210r gt-p3113 sm-t530nu gt-n8013
the process always fails. [EXTREME FROWNY FACE] :(
so i would have to say no. If you manage to get it to work, would you please provide a full and clear description
of the process ? I'm at least 100 million % certain it's something i'm doing wrong.

thanks.

m

Well thanks for trying...I'm afraid that is WAY out of my league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Very true, but it uses a lot of space to have both TWRP and PhilZ backups. At this point I haven't decided which is my favorite.
    Will the P5200 PhilZ also work on the P5220?

Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Dr. Ketan v12.1 4.4.2 NI1
    Kernel: Stock
    Apex Launcher

As far as I know recoveries for T3 10.1 are pretty universal, for the longest time the only ones we had were cwm and twrp designed for the 3g model and it worked fine for wifi / lte users. Only place you might run into a problem is if theres an assert on the ROM.

I can't speak for all devs but for my work on the LTE model there's no assert on the updater-script, so you should be good
    "PhilzAdvCWM-6_55_0-gtP-5210.zip
    Description: good 2 go kitkat kapable cwm flashable thanks Hazou @xda"
    Is it flashable or not?
    Edit it was not flashable, don't know why download states that.

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p11

"/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 Cannot open for write: Permission denied"
    You need to execute the command as the root user, or what we call the superuser. Execute: su root. And then you are good to go.
    I did this: flash philz recovery zip from twrp old recovery and it works fine for me (install pimpdroid rom). thanks anyway.

I also did this! Works great, no problems :)!
    To anyone having a "this zip is for p52xx, your device is santos103g" error or something like that; the easiest way to fix it is to just remove the assert from updater-script in the zip. (delete every line before the first "mount" command if you're using a CM based updater script)
    D
    Deleted member 1919717
    I used your Odin flashable version of PhilZ for the P5220 and it appeared to work fine, but since I had a backup made by TWRP I had to reflash TWRP to restore my backup. Do you have a recovery flashable version of PhilZ for the P5220 that I could leave on the tablet so that I could switch recoveries without Odin? Link?
    Thanks much. The improvement of the recoveries is much appreciated.....

You could create a new cwm-backup by using PhilZ, then you should be able to flash it with PhilZ w/o needing ODIN.