[review] omni rom 4.4 [alpha] [i9100]

Search This thread

revuwa

Nov 12, 2013
EDIT: I've successfully tested the latest build from @infected_ which brings things like 'clear all recent apps' button, added features like 'ActiveDisplay' and fixes things like the wacky signal strength. So I switched to this ROM and depreciate this thread.

Review of omni-4.4-20131118-i9100-HOMEMADE.zip
(tested with runtime set to: ART)

[what works]
► Calls (Phone) / SMS (Messaging) = stable
► WiFi = stable
► Alarms (Clock) = stable
► complete Settings (incl. unlocked points <Developer Options> and <Performance>) and <Network speed indicator> = functional
► Calculator, Calendar (also tested with 'Birthday Adapter' incl. synchronisation), Dev Tools, Gallery (incl. video funktionality), GPS (tested with OsmAnd incl. compass functionality), Music, People (incl. vCard import), Torch (incl. SOS) = successfully tested, personal impression: stable
► Camera (incl. lockscreen widget and front camera) = fully functional (video recording, too)
► DSP Manager, Bluetooth, Email, Movie Studio & Voice Dialer = successfully opened, but not further tested

[what doesn't out of the box]
► Browser = basically working, but crashes if open <new incognito tab> error: "unfortunately, Browser has stopped."
☼ doesn't found a workaround yet. The open source browser app 'Tint Browser' shows the same behaviour on incognito tabs
► (managed) root access
☼ workaround: install SuperSU
► use the phone as mass storage device
☼ tried within 'Terminal Emulator' app:
# su
# setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage
# reboot
(on Windows you probably need actual USB drivers) but I can't bring up a connection after pressing the button <Turn on USB storage>. Rollback (to default) is:
# su
# setprop persist.sys.usb.config mtp,adb
# reboot
at least with that (MTP) setting I was able to connect the device, (but just not as mass storage device) under:
• Linux (out of the box) and
• Windows (after installing Kies 3.0 and the prerequisit for that under Windows N and KN versions: "Microsoft Windows Media Feature Pack").
(Kies could say: "This device is not supported by Kies 3.0. Please open Kies 2.6 and then connect the device again." But just ignore this and connect the phone as MTP device under file explorer).
► signal strength is wacky
☼ IMHO: that's not a real problem than just a little bug, because the signal is very good (instead of the displayed sticky single bar). The value of the Settings -> About phone -> Status -> <Signal strength> is: "2147483647 dBm 255 asu" and will never change, also if you switch into airplane mode...

[what would be nice to have]
► deactivated cell broadcasts by default (because I’ve got broadcast messages every few seconds…)
☼ workaround: deactivate them manually over Settings -> More... -> Cell broadcasts
► possibility to remove the Google search bar from the desktop (seen embedded in CM)
☼ workaround: Settings -> Apps -> All -> Search -> Disable (but if you disable this built-in app other apps may misbehave! You also may need a reboot to remove the white frame on the desktop)
► possibility to modify (especially reduce) haptic feedback intensity (seen embedded in CM)
☼ partial workaround:
• for keyboard haptic feedback itensity: Settings -> Language & input -> Android Keyboard settings -> Advanced settings -> Keypress vibration duration
• for system wide vibration feedback (on / off only): Settings -> Sound -> Vibrate on touch
• or try a free app like 'Vibrate', seen in Google play store (not tested)
► possibility to dim or turn of the lights of the touch sensitive buttons (seen embedded in CM)
☼ partial workaround:
• to disable the lights completely put the following into a file with a name you want under /system/etc/init.d/{filename}:
echo "1" > /sys/devices/virtual/sec/sec_touchkey/force_disable
(tested with file permissions set to: -rwxr-xr-x) thanks @eskriminal
• or try a free app like 'Soft Buttons Light', seen in Google play store (not tested)
► a button to clear all recent apps (seen embedded in CM)
☼ the hard way: slide out recent apps one by one
► keyboard gesture typing functionality
☼ workaround: install Google Keyboard
► possibility to restrict app permissions like APP OPS setting in Android 4.3 (seen embedded in CM)
☼ partial workaround: install the open source app 'AFWall+' to restrict network traffic of your apps. Nothing found for the permissions, yet.

Other experiences, wishes, corrections, comments etc. are welcome!

Last edited:

revuwa

Nov 12, 2013
Review of previous version: omni-4.3.1-20131108-i9100-HOMEMADE.zip

[what works]
► WiFi = stable
► complete Settings (incl. the unlocked points <Developer Options> and <Performance>) incl. <Network speed indicator> and <Change password> changing the password used for device encryption (instead of taking the unlock PIN or PW for that) = functional
► Browser, Calculator, Calendar (also tested with Birthday Adapter incl. synchronisation), Camera (incl. lockscreen widget), Dev Tools, Gallery (incl. video funktionality), GPS (tested with OsmAnd incl. compass functionality), DSP Manager, Music, People (incl. vCard import), Torch (incl. SOS) = successfully tested, personal impression: stable
► Bluetooth, Email, Movie Studio & Voice Dialer = successfully opened, but not further tested

► Data access over mobile network
☼ workaround: set APN settings manually over Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> (+) -> [use the APN settings of your provider]
► (managed) root access
► DashClock Widgetseems to be unstable
• the half of the displayed time doesn't fit in the reserved frame within the lockscreen and can't be resized.
• trying to open settings brings the error: "Unfortunately, DashClock Widget has stopped."
☼ workaround: Settings -> Apps -> All -> DashClock Widget -> Disable and reset Digital Clock within the lockscreen to fit the correct size of the displayed time in frame.
► Clock doesn't start if opened over the slide down quick settings menu. (Only available / shown if an alarm is set)
☼ workaround: open the app over regular menu
► After enabling airplane mode, the signal bar keeps shown in status bar (and the <Signal strength> in About phone -> Status is growing up to an abnormal great value). However, the device seems to be offline...
☼ useless info: the signal bar is not shown after rebooting in airplane mode

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2013
UB
help !!! cant boot twrp after install omni 4.4 build 1117 on my s2

:confused:

[what works]
► WiFi = stable
► complete Settings (incl. the unlocked points <Developer Options> and <Performance>) incl. <Network speed indicator> and <Change password> changing the password used for device encryption (instead of taking the unlock PIN or PW for that) = functional
► Browser, Calculator, Calendar (also tested with Birthday Adapter incl. synchronisation), Camera (incl. lockscreen widget), Dev Tools, Gallery (incl. video funktionality), GPS (tested with OsmAnd incl. compass functionality), DSP Manager, Music, People (incl. vCard import), Torch (incl. SOS) = successfully tested, personal impression: stable
► Bluetooth, Email, Movie Studio & Voice Dialer = successfully opened, but not further tested

☼ workaround: set APN settings manually over Settings -> More... -> Mobile networks -> Access Point Names -> (+) -> [use the APN settings of your provider]
► (managed) root access
• the half of the displayed time doesn't fit in the reserved frame within the lockscreen and can't be resized.
• trying to open settings brings the error: "Unfortunately, DashClock Widget has stopped."
☼ workaround: Settings -> Apps -> All -> DashClock Widget -> Disable and reset Digital Clock within the lockscreen to fit the correct size of the displayed time in frame.
► Clock doesn't start if opened over the slide down quick settings menu. (Only available / shown if an alarm is set)
► After enabling airplane mode, the signal bar keeps shown in status bar (and the <Signal strength> in About phone -> Status is growing up to an abnormal great value). However, the device seems to be offline...

charlie.cz

Oct 21, 2010
Few more issues

I've come accross these additional issues:

1) External SD card not accessible (32 GB)
2) USB MTP connection is unstable

Other than that I have to say that I am very satisfied with this ROM. It's definitely the fastest ROM I've ever used on S2. Everything is just smooth.

revuwa

Nov 12, 2013
I've come accross these additional issues:

1) External SD card not accessible (32 GB)
2) USB MTP connection is unstable

Other than that I have to say that I am very satisfied with this ROM. It's definitely the fastest ROM I've ever used on S2. Everything is just smooth.

I also had this SD card access issue in the first 4.4 build, but not anymore in the actual build (omni-4.4-20131118-i9100-HOMEMADE.zip). I don't have any problems to access (read / write) my 16GB Card over MTP on Linux. On Windows, too but there is no possibility to "unmount" the device, so sometimes I see some already deleted files after reconnect...

ballonatic

Nov 18, 2013
ROM generally looks and feels very good.

I lost access to my internal sdcard0 after encrypting the phone when connecting to a Exchange server.
I did find some more messages with similar problems and it seems to be an issue with the 4.4 base code but has anyone else seen this kind of issue?
the storage is there but you just can't seem to access it, only the system itself is able to put applications there, but gallery or any other app is unable to gain access.
With terminal I tried to see and even su - did not give me access to the contents of the card :mad:

Regards, balonatic.

captsingh787

Dec 8, 2013
Pasay
dashclock

unfortunately dashclock widget stopped this error comes when I try to put the widget on home screen on lock screen

D-Construct

Sep 25, 2012
It's a wonderful ROM.

One of the issues that I faced is that sometimes the phone would be just like dead and on connecting the charger a battery icon with a question mark appears.
It won't boot then and will be stuck at the samsung boot logo.
It happened today and I had to do a clean flash again to resolve.

On infected's thread, I saw a post saying that this is some known issue.

Also the battery life for me seems to be terrible.
I have been working to isolate the issues causing this huge drain.

revuwa

Nov 12, 2013
It's a wonderful ROM.

Also the battery life for me seems to be terrible.
I have been working to isolate the issues causing this huge drain.

Try the latest OMNI build. Get it from @infected_ or use the official builds from here. There was the zzmove govenor merged and used by default. Other users says to that build, that they've played music for over 6 hours and the battery drain was just 35%... That seems to be a good value for me.

rhelering

Jun 25, 2012
Try the latest OMNI build. Get it from @infected_ or use the official builds from here. There was the zzmove govenor merged and used by default. Other users says to that build, that they've played music for over 6 hours and the battery drain was just 35%... That seems to be a good value for me.

Battery life is much better using Omni 4.4.2 than with this rom. At least for me!

raposso

Nov 28, 2013
Opendelta

Hi,

Does anybody knows how to use opendelta?

When you get the zip and you select to update it, you have to flash it the same way as you downloaded the last nightly?

Regards,

HNELITE

Apr 8, 2014
help

i really need help on connecting my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 to the pc so i can transver files pls help using omnirom 4.4.2 p7510 thx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    EDIT: I've successfully tested the latest build from @infected_ which brings things like 'clear all recent apps' button, added features like 'ActiveDisplay' and fixes things like the wacky signal strength. So I switched to this ROM and depreciate this thread.

Review of omni-4.4-20131118-i9100-HOMEMADE.zip
    (tested with runtime set to: ART)

[what works]
    ► WiFi = stable
    ► complete Settings (incl. unlocked points <Developer Options> and <Performance>) and <Network speed indicator> = functional
    ► Calculator, Calendar (also tested with 'Birthday Adapter' incl. synchronisation), Dev Tools, Gallery (incl. video funktionality), GPS (tested with OsmAnd incl. compass functionality), Music, People (incl. vCard import), Torch (incl. SOS) = successfully tested, personal impression: stable
    ► Camera (incl. lockscreen widget and front camera) = fully functional (video recording, too)
    ► DSP Manager, Bluetooth, Email, Movie Studio & Voice Dialer = successfully opened, but not further tested

► Browser = basically working, but crashes if open <new incognito tab> error: "unfortunately, Browser has stopped."
    ☼ doesn't found a workaround yet. The open source browser app 'Tint Browser' shows the same behaviour on incognito tabs
    ► (managed) root access
    ► use the phone as mass storage device
    ☼ tried within 'Terminal Emulator' app:
    # su
    # setprop persist.sys.usb.config mass_storage
    # reboot
    (on Windows you probably need actual USB drivers) but I can't bring up a connection after pressing the button <Turn on USB storage>. Rollback (to default) is:
    # su
    # setprop persist.sys.usb.config mtp,adb
    # reboot
    at least with that (MTP) setting I was able to connect the device, (but just not as mass storage device) under:
    • Linux (out of the box) and
    • Windows (after installing Kies 3.0 and the prerequisit for that under Windows N and KN versions: "Microsoft Windows Media Feature Pack").
    (Kies could say: "This device is not supported by Kies 3.0. Please open Kies 2.6 and then connect the device again." But just ignore this and connect the phone as MTP device under file explorer).
    ► signal strength is wacky
    ☼ IMHO: that's not a real problem than just a little bug, because the signal is very good (instead of the displayed sticky single bar). The value of the Settings -> About phone -> Status -> <Signal strength> is: "2147483647 dBm 255 asu" and will never change, also if you switch into airplane mode...

[what would be nice to have]
    ► deactivated cell broadcasts by default (because I’ve got broadcast messages every few seconds…)
    ☼ workaround: deactivate them manually over Settings -> More... -> Cell broadcasts
    ► possibility to remove the Google search bar from the desktop (seen embedded in CM)
    ☼ workaround: Settings -> Apps -> All -> Search -> Disable (but if you disable this built-in app other apps may misbehave! You also may need a reboot to remove the white frame on the desktop)
    ► possibility to modify (especially reduce) haptic feedback intensity (seen embedded in CM)
    ☼ partial workaround:
    • for keyboard haptic feedback itensity: Settings -> Language & input -> Android Keyboard settings -> Advanced settings -> Keypress vibration duration
    • for system wide vibration feedback (on / off only): Settings -> Sound -> Vibrate on touch
    • or try a free app like 'Vibrate', seen in Google play store (not tested)
    ► possibility to dim or turn of the lights of the touch sensitive buttons (seen embedded in CM)
    ☼ partial workaround:
    • to disable the lights completely put the following into a file with a name you want under /system/etc/init.d/{filename}:
    echo "1" > /sys/devices/virtual/sec/sec_touchkey/force_disable
    (tested with file permissions set to: -rwxr-xr-x) thanks @eskriminal
    • or try a free app like 'Soft Buttons Light', seen in Google play store (not tested)
    ► a button to clear all recent apps (seen embedded in CM)
    ☼ the hard way: slide out recent apps one by one
    ► keyboard gesture typing functionality
    ☼ workaround: install Google Keyboard
    ► possibility to restrict app permissions like APP OPS setting in Android 4.3 (seen embedded in CM)
    ☼ partial workaround: install the open source app 'AFWall+' to restrict network traffic of your apps. Nothing found for the permissions, yet.

Other experiences, wishes, corrections, comments etc. are welcome!

[what works]
    ► WiFi = stable

► (managed) root access
    help !!! cant boot twrp after install omni 4.4 build 1117 on my s2

I think I can't help without more informations. Have you seen the installation instructions before flashing? What happens if you want to access the recovery mode? Have you noticed tools like heimdall? Or other threads in the forum with solutions like that?