[Q] Couple of questions about storage on this device prior to purchase

Search This thread

Crispy3000

May 26, 2013
Hi all,

I've been waiting for a 10inch OLED device for a long long time now so very happy when T800 came out.

I live in UK however and they only offer 16GB internal storage. I've been patient waiting for 32GB version but that's wearing thin now.
Some reviews state you can use external microsd card for apps I thought I ask those that have already bought one.

I don't plan on initially rooting it until I've broken it in for few months.

So my question does this tablet allow you to use external sd for apps and apps data without hassle? I've not really used kitkat but Jelly bean made sdcard use such a pain. I know I can use link2SD etc if I root (do they still work on this tab without issue?)

If I install galaxy on fire and a bards tale my internal storage is already full so this issue is really important.

Thanks

Chris

Crispy3000

May 26, 2013
Nope, you will need root.

Thanks. I will try to be patient I think and hold out for the 32GB ver sounds like a lot less hassle.

Is there any model number difference between 16GB/32GB models? So many webshops are not even listing what the internal storage is on a model they are selling.

flhthemi

Feb 8, 2012
Statesville, NC
Thanks. I will try to be patient I think and hold out for the 32GB ver sounds like a lot less hassle.

Is there any model number difference between 16GB/32GB models? So many webshops are not even listing what the internal storage is on a model they are selling.

Ok, went to Samsung's site and looked up the 16GB Titanium "S". They list the model as "SM-T800NTSAXAR". I Have The 32gb Titanium. The model number on the box is "SM-T800NTSEXAR". So SEX is good. :) E may be what designates 32GB in the model number. But, as I understand things, Best Buy has an exclusive deal right now as being the only place that sells the 32GB version???

Last edited:

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Hi all,

I've been waiting for a 10inch OLED device for a long long time now so very happy when T800 came out.

I live in UK however and they only offer 16GB internal storage. I've been patient waiting for 32GB version but that's wearing thin now.
Some reviews state you can use external microsd card for apps I thought I ask those that have already bought one.

I don't plan on initially rooting it until I've broken it in for few months.

So my question does this tablet allow you to use external sd for apps and apps data without hassle? I've not really used kitkat but Jelly bean made sdcard use such a pain. I know I can use link2SD etc if I root (do they still work on this tab without issue?)

If I install galaxy on fire and a bards tale my internal storage is already full so this issue is really important.

Thanks
E restricted to th
Chris

Chris, the Samsung included My Folders app can read/write to a micro SD card without rooting. There is also a built in function that allows you to move apps to external storage (micro SD card). Plus when you take pictures and you have micro SD card inserted the Tab S will automatically save the pictures to the external storage except for rapid picture mode which needs the fastest storage possible. I've not tried moving an app to external storage but have seen the picture saving work. The only "stock" limitation with external storage is that read/write privileges are restricted to the My Folders app. Alternate file managers (e.g ES File Manager) can read/copy but not write.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Crispy3000

May 26, 2013
Other than media Its mostly for large game data files. I would not have more than 1 or 2 of these at same time but the available 10GB of internal would not cut it.

Samsung own webshop is awful http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SM-T805NZWABTU

I almost bought one straight away but notice no where on the spec does it mention the size of the internal memory. Almost criminal.

Thanks for the model number just wish the stores listed half of them samsung themselves certainly don't