Xperia Z vs HTC ONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

cyprusx

Mar 15, 2011
Please If I have left something out let me know!

Xperia Z

Thinner
Bigger Screen
Water Proof
Dust Proof
Multitasking Button
microSD, up to 32 GB
DragonTrail Glass
13MP Camera

HTC one

IR Blaster
Higher PPI (469)
Stereo Speakers
UltraPixel Sensor
Built-in Amplifier
Optical Image Stabilization
64GB Storage
HDR Front Camera
Snapdragon 600
Metal Exterior
Viewing Angles
Contrast
Sunlight Visiblity

Last edited:

ssj_jaypee

Dec 4, 2010
Republic of Toronto
HTC One is superior in almost all aspects, except no expandable memory slot and the design is not as elegant.
Really annoys me that Sony still haven't released the Xperia Z and all these more powerful phones are coming out now.

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
- Xperia: dragontrail hasn't been confirmed by Sony, so we can't really know.
- Built-in amplifier ? All devices with sound output have built-in amplifiers.
- I'm not sure if UltraPixel sensor isn't just higher ISO setting by default, i don't trust marketing like that.
- Xperia also supports 64gb micro cards.

PS. We already have a thread like that - and it draws flame wars etc.

buzzman

Jun 22, 2008
I guess you won't notice a big difference of the screen size...the 5 inch displays of the Sony has to show the buttons at the bottom. On the HTC One they don't "count" to the display.

I haven't decided yet, but I still favor the Xperia Z

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005
- I'm not sure if UltraPixel sensor isn't just higher ISO setting by default, i don't trust marketing like that.

Ultrapixel is just a marketing term the sensor is as big as the sensor in the z but has far less pixels, which is for lots of reasons better, especially for a phone, coupled with de IS it is bound to be better than the z. I think it is a smart move from htc especially for a phone.

mark99uk

Jun 27, 2010
The htc one is absolutely gorgeous, the best looking phone I've ever seen, extremely premium aluminium uni body, with what will be the best screen on any phone this year. Having played with an xperia z in store, with its awful washed out screen, average camera, and a build and look that strangely doesn't feel particularly premium in real life, i'm glad I didn't pre order the xperia z

cyprusx

Mar 15, 2011

When i say bult in amplifier I just mean its better than the one in the S3
Officaly the Xperia Z only supports 16GB

Dsteppa

May 7, 2012
Why don't you add the Galaxy S 4 to the topic?

These topic's are so stupid, technology nowadays is going so fast... Each device you're fighting for these days will be outdated in a few months.
Just choose a device and live with it until you can get a newer one.

SO WHAT'S THE POINT!??

cyprusx

Mar 15, 2011

only supports 16GB?

get your facts right... :victory:

sorry yea its officially 32GB

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z-5204.php

Warrimonk

Aug 15, 2009
I honestly really like both phones. There will always be advantages to one phone over the other, but honestly (unless you are a complete pessimist) both phones should be able to keep you happy for around 1-1.5 years minimum.

The thing that I want to understand is the HTC One Capacitive Buttons. You have home and back... but where is menu? Menu is probably one of the most essential buttons in android. Hopefully (this is what I would do) hitting home once would bring up menu, and double tap will go home. Something along those lines. Nothing I am really worried about anyways (AOKP will fix it haha)

I do not really think UI is something to get in a heated debate about... once custom firmware hits you can put whatever you want on. Personally I am going to rock stock AOKP on any phone I get.

Same goes for storage.... Sure XZ has a micro SD slot, but there aren't any micro SDXC cards bigger than 64gb (and might not be for a while), so really the difference between the HTC One and XZ is 64GB vs 80GB at maximum.

The only real criticism I have for Sony is the delayed North American release for the Z and especially the ZL. HTC revealed the phone today and will release in a Month. Xperia ZL was revealed in mid January and wont come out till April. There is no point to reveal an amazing new phone and then release it once it is old news. Shame on Sony for that.

Both phones are awesome, just go for the one you prefer.

Battery life is something I am finding more and more confusing with Android phones. How is it that the HTC Butterfly gets a better battery life test during video streaming than the Xperia Z by over an hour, yet has a 13% smaller battery, same processor,same GPU, and same screen resolution. This seems completely counter-intuitive.

Now for my personal opinion. I prefer the outer design and features of the ZL over the HTC One (I like the idea of as little bezel as possible), however I prefer the One screen and speakers. Not going to make any decisions till the Galaxy S4 comes out.

Last edited:

redandwhitearmy

Dec 5, 2011
London
Just saw camera samples of "ultrapixel" phone... seriously not convinced (they have just made photos from old sensor clear)...compared http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-are-the-first-samples-from-the-htc-one-ultrapixel-camera/# this snap with my old 5mp carl zeiss sensor in nokia n97( similar shot i took of my watch back in 2009)... and BOOM! HTC has gone back 4 years
maybe it will be better if they had released 8MP with ultrapixel... obviously pixels will not remain big and so called ultra pixel will lose its meaning...
well in long run when reviews come out this may not pay well for HTC.

.... happily go with XZ ...
benchmarks are only 5-10% better and that too only due to higher clock CPU .... i m not convinced with snapdragon 600 too .... it did nothing brilliant... over s4 pro... (i dont know if it saves more power)
but then obviously its my view of the summary... lets see what happens... XZ has its own flaws too.

Reactions: stefanve

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
Do you guys really like the UI ? Can't say i like it... especially the drawer. In this aspect Sony's UI is much better for me ( if they got rid of those hideous grey rectangles in the drawer - it'd be perfect for me as far as Android can go, and in terms of UI i'm a big fan of Windows Phone's consistent, simple and clear UI )

Just saw camera samples of "ultrapixel" phone... seriously not convinced (they have just made photos from old sensor clear)...compared http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-are-the-first-samples-from-the-htc-one-ultrapixel-camera/# this snap with my old 5mp carl zeiss sensor in nokia n97( similar shot i took of my watch back in 2009)... and BOOM! HTC has gone back 4 years

Hmm... they're not bad, but certainly nothing "ultra" here. Let's wait for some more camera tests.

Last edited:

vapotrini

Dec 31, 2004
maybe it will be better if they had released 8MP with ultrapixel... obviously pixels will not remain big and so called ultra pixel will lose its meaning...

benchmarks are only 5-10% better and that too only due to higher clock CPU .... i m not convinced with snapdragon 600 too .... it did nothing brilliant... over s4 pro... (i dont know if it saves more power)
but then obviously its my view of the summary... lets see what happens... XZ has its own flaws too.

I think it's gonna be more than 5-10%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floH0ASIglU

Don't know which to chose myself. I think maybe if the One has good battery life, I'll go with it.

stefanve

Oct 12, 2005

I think they are quite good, for a phone hardly any noise, but still a phone no matter how cool the sensor tech (and indeed this is just going back to basics nothing new going on) the lens still sucks, if the lens suck the photo quality sucks it's simple. really great photo's on a phone is just not going to happen (if the phone needs to be thin)

It has the same GPU as the s4 pro, it is a marginal update, maybe it will perform better in some cases. the 800 series will be a different beast.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why don't you add the Galaxy S 4 to the topic?

These topic's are so stupid, technology nowadays is going so fast... Each device you're fighting for these days will be outdated in a few months.
    Just choose a device and live with it until you can get a newer one.

SO WHAT'S THE POINT!??
    Let's settle this...

Go to local retailer...

Test out both devices in hand...

Buy the one you are happy with...

Stop felling bad about next best device as whenever any phone is announced/launched the technology is already outdated...

Sent from my LT30p using xda app-developers app
    I know for a fact that when htc releases a device with a different camera; It doesnt get the dev support. I own an evo 3d and not one aosp rom exists which can operate the 3d cam.
    So i don't think that the one will fare any better. HTC will not release the drivers for its "UltraPixel" camera anytime soon that is if it does release it at all. So those who don't like the new sense are pretty much doomed as I don't see an aosp rom which can run the new cam hardware anytime soon.
    XZ on the other hand will be pretty much flexible when custom roms are considered.
    But hey - you keep telling yourself whatever you need to in order to justify purchasing the Z.

Isn't that what you're doing about buying HTC ? Different people, different needs. For me HTC One is one ugly phone - i don't like it, and I wouldn't buy it, don't get me wrong - it's a good design, but for my personal taste it looks very very bad.

Now, do I post in every HTC thread about it ? No. You too shouldn't do that.

Buy HTC, be happy about it and don't care about what other people buy. If we're buying "outdated" devices with "inferior screen" etc, it's our problem - we definitely have our reasons to do so. Don't behave like some kind of HTC's witness trying to convert people...
    So, like I wrote, I'm really torn now. 3 great phones to choose from... each very different, each with unique strenghts and weaknesses (perhaps only potential, like One's radio and development concerns). If I were certain there won't be any problems with the One's radio, wireless and GPS
    reception and had resons to think it would get good Dev support, I think it's almost my dream phone... but as things are, I'm really not sure.

If anyone can give any advice, I'd very much appreciate it!

Don't take it as bashing/praising. I'll share my views on all those devices with you:

Note 2:

Had it, loved it, started to hate it, sold it. Why ? Touchwiz... it's terrible. CM10.1 for Note is even worse, and I don't think it'll get any better as CM team seems to be moving away from Exynos platform. It's a great success that devs were able to make it so good and usable with such crappy support from Samsung, but overall it's a terrible experience.

Now, why I started to hate it ? Because previously I owned S2 and Note 1. Both shared the same superbrick issue which destroyed the device when you performed factory reset on stock ICS. Ok, I can deal with that. But later on they discovered Exynos Bug that allowed any app to access root without asking and throw all your personal info into space - even if your device is not rooted ( sic! )

But what does it have to do with Note 2 ? Well, everything because as it turned out, Note 2 has the same bug which "evolved" to something even worse, named "sudden death issue" affecting all S3 and Note 2 devices with 0xF1 emmc chips. This time your phone might just die at a completely random point - wave goodbye to your device if you were on CM or even rooted. Oh, and Exynos Bug was still there too, so the sudden death issue wouldn't feel alone. That broke my love for Samsung. I don't care how great the device is - i don't want to worry about which eMMC my device has, the faulty one or the good one ? Will it die on my randomly or not ? I need to rely on my phone, and since Samsung did NOTHING to fix their last 3-4 devices' problems ( Galaxy Tab was also affected ), I'm moving away to another brand.

Want more about faulty eMMC chips ? Remember Galaxy Nexus ? Google issued an official paper to Samsung telling them to use the right chips in Nexus devices. Samsung knew very well about faulty ones, they used them knowingly ( i'd even say intentionally, but that's not for me to judge ) in all their new devices - probably hoping it "won't be a big deal" as they had to do something with them.

At least now S3 and Note 2 are "fixed" but head over to Samsung threads. It's still happening, not as much, but still, with or without Samsung's fix, so I'm not sure they were 100% successful.

Lastly, there were two more points that convinced me to break up with Samsung: Note 2's size started to be a nuissance, and I became really tired of its quality. For god's sake, it's a 500 pounds phone that squeks and screeches everytime i squeeze it.

Remember that those are only negatives, and many of them are my personal opinion/taste. Note 2 has many amazing features, but you can find those in every review.

Xperia Z:

So far I'm in love with it. It's an amazing change after Samsung devices, build quality is great, performance is great, stock ROM is great - i don't even consider flashing CM on it right now - i don't think i need to. There's no ugly touchwiz to run away from, i can perfectly live with Sony's stock rom. It's a nice change to be back in Sony's world - real difference between Sony and Samsung in this case.

Ok, but let's focus on negatives:

Covers. Unless you're going to buy yourself a BT headset ( i highly recommend that ) you might get a little annoyed quickly.
    Battery life is a bit of a let down after using Note 2. It's not bad - it's very good, but having been using Note 1 and 2 i'm used to better battery life. With XZ's size, it's impossible to match it, so I just have to adjust.
    Screen. This is not a negative point. The screen is absolutely amazing - but after years ( and 3 devices ) using AMOLED screen, you need to make the transition again. Don't expect such vibrant colours as on AMOLED screen. And viewing angles can't match it too - but that's just LCD vs AMOLED stuff.

I think that's all right now. If I find anything more - I'll let you know.

HTC One:

Not much here as I haven't used it. What I can tell you after using iPod, iPhone and iPad: aluminum body is a bad idea. It looks great, but it's so easy to scratch... and scratches look terrible on aluminum body because they turn grey/black. Why ? Because it's anodized aluminum, only the surface is this beautiful shiny-silver. If you scratch it, you'll be left with darkened spots and lines of "normal" aluminum from below the surface which becomes patinated when in contact with air/sweat ( the anodized surface prevents that, but it's not anodized below it ).

Also, we have no idea how antennas will perform. Also, removing those white ( yes, they're white on aluminum ) grease smudges from aluminum body is a nightmare... I know what i'm saying - cleaning iPad or my old iMac was a nightmare. Oh, and don't even dream of dropping it - you'll get non-fixable dent in aluminum body.

Other things ? Based on my previous HTC devices ( Desire, Legend ), i simply don't like Sense. Haven's used the new one, but still... and batteries on HTC always disappointed me ( Desire, Legend, HD7 ). There's also no sd-card slot which is an instant deal breaker for me. And the camera doesn't seem to be good at all - but those were just first test shots, so let's just wait for proper tests.

Still, HTC has better CPU - but does it improve your user experience over XZ/Note 2 ? I don't think so.

Last point: dev support. Look it up on XDA. It has never been that great...

Hope it'll help at least a bit. Bear in mind that those are my personal opinions based on my preferences so you might not agree with me. Best to just test those devices yourself :)