[Q] lower camera quality after using it under water

Search This thread

egyptian_guide

Jul 20, 2011
cairo
Hi,

I used my Sony Xperia z1 under the water and took some great photos, however about an hour later i have noticed the quality of the photos taken is not as good anymore specially when you zoom in. i dont know what to do as my phone is out of guarantee.

thank you for your help.

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hi,

I used my Sony Xperia z1 under the water and took some great photos, however about an hour later i have noticed the quality of the photos taken is not as good anymore specially when you zoom in. i dont know what to do as my phone is out of guarantee.

thank you for your help.

Could be water condensing on the inside of the lens. Can you see any water drops in there? If so, they should dry out with time

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
i can't see any water drops in the lens, it has been 2 weeks since i used it in water. any other suggestions ?

It's probably because you were in colder water that the air.
Lenses now have "fog" inside...

It's the question will it ever dry.
That shouldn't happen but it obviously did.

It wasn't sea? Right?

Seawater, of course, will damage whole device.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

egyptian_guide

Jul 20, 2011
cairo
It's probably because you were in colder water that the air.
Lenses now have "fog" inside...

It's the question will it ever dry.
That shouldn't happen but it obviously did.

It wasn't sea? Right?

Seawater, of course, will damage whole device.

yea, it was sea water. so is there ANYTHING i can do??

funky0308

Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 27, 2012
Osijek
Uff...that's not good.
Seawater could really destroy lenses.

Could you see some micro scratches on it?

I'm not sure it's suitable for salt water, not because of the water but because of salt in it...

Wiltron

yea, it was sea water. so is there ANYTHING i can do??

When I had my Z I did the same thing, and had the same problem you currently have with your Z1.

I put the water on full blast in my sink, as close to "luke arm" as possible, in my attempt to get it to a "room temperature" level. I opened the Camera app and set it to auto-focus, so essentially the lense was moving up and down unable to focus, and turned screen timeout to 10 minutes. I then put the lens of the camera under the stream and left it there for ~3 minutes. Literally left the device in the sink with the plug open :)

Came back, dried it off, turned the device off, and left it on top of my fireplace covered in a moisture absorbing cloth (from the gym) overnight.

NOTE: My fireplace is an electric fireplace, and doesn't output heat very efficiently. The top of my fireplace is a mantle where I (during xmas) keep chocolates and similar items, which DON'T melt, so that gives you a level of temperature. I can't take any responsibility if you melt your phone or cook the screen or something.

The phone works fine now, however I've since sold it for my Z1.

EDIT: If there's scratches on the lens, go grab some regular, plain white peppermint toothpaste. None of this fancy "tartar control" or "Whitening" crap, just dollar store peppermint flavoured regular toothpaste. Take a small amount on a fiber free swab (note: different from Q-Tips), and rub slightly on the lens. Don't press into it, but do it firmly. The fiber free swab shouldn't be breaking, so use that amount of pressure. Rub for ~1 minute, and then rinse off with water and a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:

ghostman2

Mar 12, 2012
Caxias do Sul
Not good man, Z1 is waterproof but NOT against sea water, this can oxidate the entire phone, you know when you leave the ocean and you stay with some salt particle on your body? Your phone should be with the same salt particle on the lens, try to check...

Last edited: